Wiki Posts
Search

1/12 Advice (Radio Settings)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 1/12 Advice (Radio Settings)

Hi all,

I drove a 1/12 RC125.1 (10.5T) at Ardent Raceway (UK) for the first time today and all I can say is wow! - Totally loved it.

Previously I have only used 1/10 TC and I was getting tired of having to mess around with the complex chassis, I've only started getting into RC since April and have been spending more time off track with setup of 1/10 rather than on track.

With 1/12 the car just handled so well and I could concentrate on 'driving'. I bought it used and the car was already setup for carpet.

I noticed that the car would sometimes oversteer, I think this might be down to the fact that the EPA/dual rate on my transmitter is too much for 1/12 (100% - DEFAULT).

Could you please share any suggestions about how you have adjusted your transmitter settings for 1/12... (Steering/Throttle/etc)??

I know its down to personal preference but it would be good to get some common ground.

Ps. My Radio is a Sanwa Exzes-X (I can adjust a lot of things).

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just adjust the dual rate to where you're comfortable and increase it or decrease it as needed. I usually use 80-85% dual rate but then it really depends on the track, how tight it is and how the turns are set up.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That is one of the most impressive tracks I ever saw

I personally adjust the car and not the radio

So if your car has too much steering stiffen the ft end or try other tires

But sounds like you want radio advice not car
Old 11-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I always have my car at about 3-5 foot circles. Then i make the car do what i need.. I know this is personal prefrence..

Mike
Old 11-06-2011, 01:13 AM
Tech Regular

This might help you to a degree.

http://www.carsrcracing.co.uk/?p=180

Trev
Old 11-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it.

Trev, that link is perfect - I know they have a lot of information on there about 1/12... didn't realise they had a transmitter guide.

Final question, is a digital servo a 'must' for pan cars, I have a spare SAVOX servo but it isn't digital... was thinking of buying the Futaba S9650...?
Old 11-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You do not need digital, but you do want something small and reasonably fast. I prefer the fastest I can get.

For D/R I personally adjust the radio toward the end of the run, I dial the rate down a little so I still have pleanty of steering towards the end of the run but dials the rate down a touch so the oversteer isn't as great at the beginning. This way I usually end up using the entire wheel travel lock to lock which for me makes it easier to drive.

It's usually a 85-90% rate which leaves the car doing about 3-5 foot circles like Mike said.

It's also important to set your travel left/right so the car turns symmetrical. Do little circles after you have adjusted your end points and make sure it is even.

As for radio throttle, I just leave it 100/100 and linear.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Hi mate, first up, Ardent is a first class facility is n't it?! Ah, I think it would be hard to set a car up to a transmitter, like one of the previous posters has said! I would set the end point up for maximum throw (making sure the centre point is correct and the servo is in the middle of the chassis first!), then use the 'steering balance' function to get the same amount of lock in both directions. That's quite easy, find a capet joint, or peice of tape on the carpet, push the car in a semi circle anti clockwise, at the 180 degree point, turn the car around and push it back to where you started in a clockwise direction. You want the car to be at the same point as you started. Adjust the steering balance by lowering the larger circle (if that makes sense!). Then, drive around the track and lower the EPA until you have enough throw to get around the track. Lastly, I put around -20% expodential on the handset to tame down the initial steering, but it might go slightly higher than that. I think the things you may of read bsically say the same thing, but just in case they don't, that is what I do whenever I build a new chassis up. Cheers, Chris.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

You might need the digital servo with the Sanwa radio, and you will certainly need it if you want to use any of the high-response systems.

Wingman's advice is spot on - it is essential that the car turns the same diameter circle both left and right, otherwise you are making things too difficult for yourself! Mike's turning circles are what most people use. If the car tends to oversteer under throttle out of the corner, reduce the steering throw.

Try to ignore the percentages that people quote for their dual rate, as it depends so much on the way people set up their steering linkages, what servo saver they use, what Ackerman angles, etc, etc. Go for the 3-5 foot circles as a guide, whatever your rate %age says. HTH
Old 11-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, I have run my car with such a big turning circle that if the car ends up facing the wrong way, then there is n't enough lock to get it facing the right way again!!