Wiki Posts
Search

Let's talk driving style - push brake vs drag vs no brake

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Let's talk driving style - push brake vs drag vs no brake

Let's focus on one class for right now. Say, Blinky 17.5 sedan. A pretty popular class, so hopefully we can get a good discussion going.

Im just getting back into the hobby, in electric TC. Was a long time gas on-road racer...

With the 1/10 200mm sedans, I used zero drag brake... but would generally use push brake on ~50% of the corners on a given track. I found myself using push brakes on almost all 180* corners, but would generally carve a nice arc into other types of corners where the steering would scrub enough speed to slow down.

Im trying to avoid picking up any bad habits given my newness to electric, but I can't seem to shake the push brakes. My finger just wants to jump forward as Im setting up for a corner. I seem to find some success when I dial in a bit of drag brake, though...

So how do most of you guys drive your blinky electric sedans? It seems most electric sedan drivers don't use push brakes outside of mod... is this true?
Old 10-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

For blinky 17.5, I would try to avoid using drag brake as that can build more heat in the motor. You can use a little push in the speedo if you want (this is NOT push brake like you use on the trigger).

As for using push brake on the track, some corners you need to, most you do not. A hard 180 at the end of a good straight, yeah you might need to stab them. The rest of the time, try to do without.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wingracer
For blinky 17.5, I would try to avoid using drag brake as that can build more heat in the motor. You can use a little push in the speedo if you want (this is NOT push brake like you use on the trigger).
Im sorry... Im not following what you mean by "push in the speedo"?

As for using push brake on the track, some corners you need to, most you do not. A hard 180 at the end of a good straight, yeah you might need to stab them. The rest of the time, try to do without.
This is what I am gathering. Most non-mod sedan drivers seem to do without push brakes entirely... except for those occasional corners.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

The Tekin has a setting called "push" which acts opposite to drag brake.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
In the Tekin though, they aren't completely opposites. You may find setups with both push and drag brake. In the Tekin (don't know about other speedos) the drag brake kicks in after the push has ended. I have previously run this setup on large carpet tracks (like DHI Cup), with great feeling.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Im only just starting to figure out the brakes myself. Pushing the stick forward is not comfortable or natural for me though.
I generally give the brakes a quick stab just before turning in. I dont like drag brakes as it can be difficult to judge entry speed with then and turning while braking can destabilize the car.

Inguess it all comes with practice though. Figuring out how
Much speed to lose to turn in nice and smooh without either end of the car getting squirley.

Id be interested to hear about push. Another thing i need to work on is mid corner throttle control.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Hmmm... I do not have a Tekin speedo(Viper VTX10).

Can someone explain how the "push" feature actually works? And how you would use it on the track... ie: what sort of situation would it be beneficial?
Old 10-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Formula...lol

More steering = less brake needed
Old 10-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

"Push control" on a tekin helps the car coast when you let off the throttle. I never felt the need for push control when racing blinky. If your car has a smooth drivetrain and geared at a low FDR, it should coast easily. I find that whenever I'm geared at super low FDRs, my car has very weak brakes. Sometimes practically none. Different motors/rotors seem to give better brakes at low fdr, but never really seem to have strong brakes. Push control can help to counter the natural drag brake you get sometimes with crazy boost and high FDRs.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

when your talking about "push" brakes, I guess you mean trail braking... where you apply a little stick into the corner.

Personally, I'm starting to learn this technique, and catch myself doing it more and more, although bear in mind I'm only really racing Mod at the moment. Certainly helps for a number of corners on the track I'm racing on currently.

Having said the above about trail braking, I also find that 5-10% drag brake in the speedo really helps to stabilise my car... but then modified's have a lot more braking power than a 17.5 blinky, so I had been struggling to get consistency on the level of braking.

HiH
Ed
Old 10-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

James I use 0 dragbrake. Im a stabber.... I set the epa on the brakes to where it bearly works when Im at full brake. I adjust it for different tracks.

I do whatever the track requires to get fast laps. I dont care if it comfortable to me or not. Like I said its all about lap times.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TryHard
when your talking about "push" brakes, I guess you mean trail braking... where you apply a little stick into the corner.
While it doesn't have to mean trail braking... yes, generally I find myself braking into the turn. At least holding the brakes past the initial turn in point.

Originally Posted by Joe Maxey
James I use 0 dragbrake. Im a stabber.... I set the epa on the brakes to where it bearly works when Im at full brake. I adjust it for different tracks.

I do whatever the track requires to get fast laps. I dont care if it comfortable to me or not. Like I said its all about lap times.
That's good to know. Thanks Joe.

So do you generally find yourself using push brakes frequently during a lap? Or is it completely track dependent?
Old 10-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Suspended

James, i use push breaks set at 100%, drag break set at 15%. There is a time when driving in traffic when you will need that extra breaking power (moving chicanes)... hope this helps. Oh, and its all on a tekin.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
So do you generally find yourself using push brakes frequently during a lap? Or is it completely track dependent?
Yeah its very track dependent. Our track it seems that I am always on the brake(Not very flowing but fast track). In Houston at M&M's I never touched the break( Fast and very smooth and flowing).

Originally Posted by Chris Adams
There is a time when driving in traffic when you will need that extra breaking power (moving chicanes)...
Chris is correct if you have moving chicanes you may need more brake. I add brake depending who is around me in the quals and mains. Great reminder Chris.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For my stock tc4 , I also stab alot, but I increase my throttle trigger acceleration to 80% , and 100% brakes, but no dragbrakes. I also have my expos at 100% on the + side for both throttle and brake. I try to enter the corners at the right angle, bleep the brakes, and stab to punch out. Multiple corners are tricky, and I pick my spots to punch it .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.