Wiki Posts
Search

Gear diffs in Touring Cars.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 06:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Gear diffs in Touring Cars.

I plan on purchasing a Gear diff shortly.

My question is has it helped people drop their lap times?
Does it make the car easier to drive?

Is it now a must have to be competative?

Thank you,
Dave.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

gear diffs react differently than ball diffs. Its my understanding though that a ball diff is quicker through the corners as they rotate a little better but the gear diffs are faster coming out of the corners as they tend to slip less with sudden bursts of power.

Everybody has a different preferance. I've done well with the gear diffs in my 1/10th offroad cars but a lot of people say the ball diffs still feal better to them. I dont think one is really better than the other I think its just the difference of how you drive and how you like the car to feel.

Hope this helps some but I'd say a gear diff could be a useful tuneing aid and if you could afford it it would probobly be a good investment to have in your spares box. Just like a one-way, there not good in all situations but sometimes its just what you need
Old 10-25-2011, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If a gear diff is well build you have less maintenance.
Also no slip at all.
Bad thing is that if you want to adjust something, you need to remove the whole diff and put another type of oil in the gear diff as to a ball diff just adjust the tension.
Bad thing of a ball diff is that they are more prone to dirt and need to be rebuild more.
Either way you have pro's and con's on both diff's.
Did run them back to back in the same car with same setup and did have a faster lap time witht he gear diff(hometrack).
At another track it was just the other wat around.
Better laptimes with the ball diff.
It is a good investment and it could ad in getting lower laptimes.

regards Roy
Old 10-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

you should look at it as a different tuning option, but having gear in mine and working very well, then depending on track condition, I can go back to ball if needed
Old 10-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Tech Addict

Ok thanks guys. all good answers.
A tuning option seems to be the resounding opinion.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

I have no doubt that the gear diff will be equal to or better than a ball diff in all conditions. But the gear diff is relatively new so it makes sense to go back to the ball diff when in doubt about gear diff tuning. Once more people run the gear diff and learn to tune with it in different conditions it will no longer be a tuning option - it will be what is used all the time.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I have no doubt that the gear diff will be equal to or better than a ball diff in all conditions. But the gear diff is relatively new so it makes sense to go back to the ball diff when in doubt about gear diff tuning. Once more people run the gear diff and learn to tune with it in different conditions it will no longer be a tuning option - it will be what is used all the time.
Will gear diff become standard in TT too Rick?
Old 10-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

When you guys are talking about gear diffs, is that both front and rear ? What combo is the fastest for you:
GEAR DIFF(G), BALL DIFF(B), SPOOL(S) :
FRONT REAR
#1 G G
#2 G B
#3 S G
#4 S B
#5 B B
I only run #4 in my tc4's with zero maintenance in 6years !
Old 10-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

I remeber racing touring cars on carpet back in the mid to late 90's and we all had cars like the HPI pro and ofna's , shumacher sst 99's ...well anyway ,there was a guy that had a hpi sport with two gear diffs and a fiberglass chassis......and he would always wipe the floor with most of the racers there. It was unreal. So I think it has to do with the driver and how he is used to driving his car.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Champion

Did that guy ever race you guys on asphalt ? Most racers seem to run #1 with different weight oil, but has anyone tried #2 or #3 ???
Old 10-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm thinking of trying #3 for my 17.5 blinky tc that I'm putting together, but it may be a bit before that comes about, money and all. I like the thought of low maintenance once I find the right oil for the gear diff.

Currently I'm running #5 in my TC4 VTA. I have tried #4 in the VTA didn't like the chatter and in turn the over heating of the front tires. I'm going to give #4 a try again here shortly since I just got a set of losi lcds to help with the chatter.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pro10noob
Bad thing is that if you want to adjust something, you need to remove the whole diff and put another type of oil in the gear diff as to a ball diff just adjust the tension.

regards Roy
That is true, but remember that when maintaining the diff , you just put the same oil and you have your diff Where with ball diff you are never 100% sure how tight your diff was , so some testing on the track always had to be done to get that perfect feel from your diff.

I'm for gear diff
Old 10-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Rookie

For the short time i owned my onroad, i hated ball diffs, such a hassel to run with and maintain. Also, as stated there is never a referance point to go from.. wheras with gear diffs you know (or should) what oil your running..
Old 10-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

After being out of electric racing for 1.5years. Old setup was spool/ball diff.

Now running Gear diff set with putty and Ball diff in the rear. This set up is a lot better for me.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

the biggest advantage of gear diffs for me is that i know i have the same settings everytime. whereas with ball diffs it's more from your experience of setting up your diffs. but even then, you're still never sure if it's the same as your last run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.