Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ground effects/under trays on TC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Ground effects/under trays on TC?

There is something I've been wondering about for a couple years in regards to the TC class: Are ground effect under trays legal? (Ifmar/roar/femca, etc)
I'm guessing they are illegal since they aren't used, but if they aren't illegal has anyone tried building one before?
Old 10-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Someone in the Nitro On Road section made a thread about this a while back. Basically what he did was glue-ing pieces of lexan underneath the rear of his car and under the suspension arms. His observations were quite promising, but the thread died after a while.

Maybe you can experiment and tell us what happens. The only problem with TC these days is that the chassis is full of so many holes that its hard to create a vacuum.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

here's the thread.. I just finished reading the whole thing
Old 10-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

and TC's are runned fairly low to the ground too, so not much space to fit anything under
Old 10-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IFMAR 1/10 IC Track Rule Book
5.18 Under body/chassis aerodynamic aids of any nature are not allowed.
Originally Posted by IFMAR Electric Track Rule Book
6.2.5 The chassis must not be shaped to gain an aerodynamic advantage. In principle, the underside of the chassis must be flat and parallel to the ground along the entire length of the body shell. Aerodynamic shaped parts (splitters/diffusers/tunnels/etc.) may not be fitted to the chassis.
Note that this only applies to Touring Cars though, there are no restrictions of this kind when it comes to pan cars.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Tech Master

A mate of mine used to make diffusers for his Pro10 car many years ago, he seemed to think they helped (I will try and find a pic).

Another lad made a Pro10 chassis with full length venturi tunnels that made the batteries go flat at the bigger tracks as it created so much downforce!
Old 10-25-2011, 03:24 AM
Tech Master

I am not sure if sticking a random piece of plastic under the chassis will provide the ground effect you want. If it would work like that why do they put a huge hole in front of my pro10 chassis to let the air flow over the chassis (under the body).

What i read from other people experience when making a chasis without that hole in front is that the car will push at speed. The wind underneath the chassis lifts the car up if there isn't a hole there. People think it is because of the added ground effect but it is just that the air underneath the front pushes the front up creating understeer. Not because of the ground effect sucking the chassis to the ground. When they put a hole in the front, the steering at speed came back.

Not sure who is right but maybe food for thought.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:00 AM
Tech Elite

Think you'll find that most, if not all, of the racing regulating bodies ban the use of any aerodynamic aids on the underside of the car.

From the BRCA 1:10 TC section;

6.4 Under body/chassis aerodynamic aids of any
nature are not allowed. Only motor guards are
allowed. Smooth lexan undertrays may be fitted
to waterproof the cars.