Search
Like Tree452Likes

Carpet Off-road Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vw addict
Well I plan on getting a ball diff, but like to make do with what I have to get some laps down.
The gear diff works fine once you get it the way you want it. I don't know what class your running but some track require the gear diff to run stock class so I would just make sure your still legal before switching to a ball diff.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

5k then.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Hey guys I am about to mount up some Schumacher "Cut Stagger" Slim 2.2 tires on the front of my 22. Last I heard was the inner bead of the wheel needs to be trimmed off? Do I take off both lips off the inside bead off the wheel or just one?

Thanks guys.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

had a good night running 2wd buggy with some old half hosed hole shot (R3 compiound that they dont make anymore) rears, and M3 4 rib fronts with some STIFF foams shoehorned into them to give the carcass a more rounded profile.Traction was not an issue at all both F and R. I Tqed and took 1st in the main over guys running the Shumacher mini-pin/stagger rib tire comboI think i may run those R3 compound rears untill the foams blow through the carcass just because they have so much bite its sick!!
Old 11-05-2011, 03:18 AM
Tech Adept

Exclamation

Originally Posted by carcrusher46
My experience on carpet over the past 7 years has been that the cheap "garbage" tires that come on a lot of rtr's have garnered the best results in terms of consistency, grip and tire life for me personally. For SC trucks, I really like the stock Kyosho SC tires and stock SC10 tires - a lot of the local guys insist on running M3 Calibers in SC, but they slide like ice on the wooden ramps and it's blatantly obvious when the tail end kicks out going up the ramp. The RTR compounds, for whatever reason, grip and actually screech on the wood from so much grip. Back when we ran monster trucks, I ran tires off of a New-Bright truck because they were the lightest, shortest v-tread tire available but also because they were very consistent compared to stock stampede/wheely king tires.

So in reality, the tire compound matters a lot more than the tread style in my opinion. If you can find a compound similar to the Kyosho or AE RTR tires or the Losi Slider tires as mentioned above, they really are the ticket for non-ozite carpet racing.

I personally prefer dirt over carpet because you have to make the right choice in tires for each race and it doesn't just come down to who has the most practice time, but the ease of carpet has its advantages too, such as learning how to find your limits with a vehicle and how to keep a car running on edge for a full heat without going over that edge.
My local carpet track!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlJgd0WO_w8
- We have a lot of fast guys running the stock traxxas 4x4 tires because of the cement section! Enough grip on the carpet and then awesome grip on the cement. I hope this helped!
Old 11-05-2011, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
5k then.
Thanks, if we ever get power back I am going to rebuild. Hard to handle little diff parts when the house is 44 degrees
Old 11-10-2011, 05:39 AM
Tech Regular

I was watching a video from richfield raceway here in pa and was wondering what all the lines are that are on the floor? Watching the video its hard to tell what's pipe and what's just lines, does that get confusing while your racing or does it just look worse on the video?
Old 11-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The track is setup in the gym of the church. the lines are in the carpet for playing basketball and other games. When your racing you don't notice them. Richfield is a great place check it out sometime. I just wish I lived closer 2.5 hour ride for me.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by djhotrod
The track is setup in the gym of the church. the lines are in the carpet for playing basketball and other games. When your racing you don't notice them. Richfield is a great place check it out sometime. I just wish I lived closer 2.5 hour ride for me.
Ok thanks for the info. I thought about checking it out but its a 3 hour ride for me so it would have to be a Saturday, maybe after christmas I will be able to make it down that way if they have a staurday race.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

At our indoor carpet track we run two different types of vehicles. We run 1/10th scale stadium trucks with foam tires and we also run SCT with any rubber tire that has the stock rim configuration. The SCT's do well on various stock tires and the stadium trucks are just a blast on foams. There is a local guy here who supplies us with the foam tires. He does an excellent job and will ship them anywhere. Let me know if you would like to contact him.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:49 AM
Tech Master

What are you guys' running for rear toe blocks on the rear of your SC10's? I have the stock rtr, 3.5° I believe. I can't get the truck to turn, too much rear grip. A guy at the track suggested I go to 2° blocks to ease up on the rear traction and help the truck rotate. I replaced the rtr servo with a Savox HV which helped a lot, but still not enough. Please help I need more steering!!!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 07:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by vw addict
What are you guys' running for rear toe blocks on the rear of your SC10's? I have the stock rtr, 3.5° I believe. I can't get the truck to turn, too much rear grip. A guy at the track suggested I go to 2° blocks to ease up on the rear traction and help the truck rotate. I replaced the rtr servo with a Savox HV which helped a lot, but still not enough. Please help I need more steering!!!!!
Try holding your front tire and turning the wheels with the controller, watch to see how loose the servo saver is. Alot of times your not getting enough steering because the servo saver is week and not turning the wheels the whole way. If it turns out to be the servo saver you can superglue it to make it solid, alot of guys glue them to eliminate the problem your haveing. I ran mine glued on my old sc10 for a year and it never broke the servo so that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

thanks, but it's not the ss.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I saw you were talking about Richfield Raceway in Pa. I race there weekly. There will be a couple Saturday races this year. There is a thread on here for Richfield Raceway, just keep checking it every so often, they will post the dates of the Saturday races.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Has anyone tried cutting there tires. I saw some AE setups were people were cutting the outside 2 rows of tread off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.