Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Xray T3 2012

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

As long as you use the same method you are fine.
If you measure different from day to day you get lost.
Also comparison is difficult because it is not clear how and where exactly everybody measures.

Till now I just worked with the downstop.
Fine for me. Because if I adjust it to a different downstop I get the behaviour in the direction I want and I can reproduce it.
Short: I dont mind at the moment what the droop is.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orci77
As long as you use the same method you are fine.
If you measure different from day to day you get lost.
Also comparison is difficult because it is not clear how and where exactly everybody measures.

Till now I just worked with the downstop.
Fine for me. Because if I adjust it to a different downstop I get the behaviour in the direction I want and I can reproduce it.
Short: I dont mind at the moment what the droop is.
+1
now i have to think like u...from the discussion above,seems like droop is not as essential as downstop...
Old 01-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Droop and downstop both refer to the amount of suspension arm down travel your setup allows, but are measured in different ways, at different times, and for different reasons.

If you're trying to imitate someone else's setup, you need to know the amount of droop [suspension downtravel/ chassis uptravel allowed, usually in mm over ride height] they're using, because droop takes into account ride height, tire size, insert firmness, etc. If you use someone else's setup and downstop settings, and you're not using that person's tires, you're not truly running their setup.

If you ONLY measure and change your setup with setup wheels or measuring blocks on a setup station, downstop is a repeatable method to set your suspension down travel. Unless you're incredibly lucky to have a set of tires end up at ride height without any shock spring adjustments ever, every time you re-adjust ride height to compensate for tire insert compression and tire carcass thinning, your also going to be taking droop away.

Bottom line, you can't use one method exclusively over the other. I start by setting downstop, then I set ride height, check and set the droop I want over ride height [ORH], then re-check my downstop to make sure left and right suspensions are set identical, then put the car on the track. After each run, recheck ride height and droop before making any other changes to the car, both can cause handling issues if they're not right.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

OK, This DROOP and DOWNSTOP thing gets a little crazy. My opinion: I think "DOWNSTOP" is used by XRAY and measured at the arms and is a generic measurement. Droop is more of an actual tuning option. Droop will limit the uptravel of the chassis to assist in weight transfer. Such as if you need a little more steering you might use less up travel (which would be more droop) in the front of the chassis. I just wonder why downstops get measured with droop blocks,(Kind of like why do we park in a driveway and drive in a parkway.)? It should be standardized as droop and measured above ride height so it would end all confusion and the extra work of setting downstops then setting droop. Just the input of a club racer always willing to learn more.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Technically droop is referred to as down travel. Meaning how far the wheel or shock will travel down. Up travel is adjusted by shortening or making the shock longer.If you shorten the shock the useable shock shaft is shorter there for allowing the wheel to travel upwards less. Use this when you get a lot of roll to reduce roll. it will keep the chassis on the weighted side (outside of turn) from compressing so much that the chassis scrapes the ground.

And for the record, I set ride height, then do droop by raising the chassis to get the measurement over ride height. If I then feel the car is rolling to much you can fine tune the roll with the shock length. However you will need to go back and reset ride height and droop. I did like when the Losi JRXS had separate screws for up travel and down travel. It was easier.

Downstops = the point at which you set the stop of downward wheel travel.
Droop = the amount the chassis will droop from a fully extended suspension to ride height.

Last edited by DJG24; 01-11-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (89%+)
Default Gear diff oil

I have a t3 11 and was wondering what oil u guys are using in your gear diffs. I run an asphalt long track medium bite. Looking for a starting point thx..
Old 01-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC4ODC
I have a t3 11 and was wondering what oil u guys are using in your gear diffs. I run an asphalt long track medium bite. Looking for a starting point thx..
700cst
Old 01-12-2012, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC4ODC
I run 700cst in modified. I would probably run 1000-1500cst in stock.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Tweak

Got it!

Last edited by haywood; 01-12-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by haywood
To get the rear of the car level on the tweak station the rear collars are way off from side to side. I measured the shocks and they are the same.
FYI you do know that part of leveling out the car is a combination of adjusting not only the left rear shock but in combination with the right front shock. Then a fine tune adjust between the 2 rear ones to get the final level out. Also equal shock length is very critical of these adjustments as well. And finally making sure your springs are close in length and stiffness.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

do you guys know if a pain the windows black on my bodies would that be roar legal
Old 01-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by f1o7x9
do you guys know if a pain the windows black on my bodies would that be roar legal
No, the windows must be clear to be ROAR legal.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

Originally Posted by DJG24
Technically droop is referred to as down travel. Meaning how far the wheel or shock will travel down. Up travel is adjusted by shortening or making the shock longer.If you shorten the shock the useable shock shaft is shorter there for allowing the wheel to travel upwards less. Use this when you get a lot of roll to reduce roll. it will keep the chassis on the weighted side (outside of turn) from compressing so much that the chassis scrapes the ground.

And for the record, I set ride height, then do droop by raising the chassis to get the measurement over ride height. If I then feel the car is rolling to much you can fine tune the roll with the shock length. However you will need to go back and reset ride height and droop. I did like when the Losi JRXS had separate screws for up travel and down travel. It was easier.

Downstops = the point at which you set the stop of downward wheel travel.
Droop = the amount the chassis will droop from a fully extended suspension to ride height.
you're rite, it's downward travel not upward.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mera'din
I am using the dynamite gauges and this has got me thinking about the values. I wonder how these compare as I have just been using the 5 and 6 that the setup sheet suggests.

What droop values do these numbers give you? 2mm of drrop seems to come up a bit but wouldn't it be different front and rear is using 6 and 5 as your downstops values?
Maybe I should have said "may not match". I found this out when a friend was using an HPI tool that was +1 mm different. I will measure the HUDY gauge settings 5 and 6 tonight and post a reply asap (I am guessing 15mm and 16mm respectively). I think that is the easiest way to compare to the Dynamite tool.

- Emil
Old 01-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For those that care .. I setup my new car off the basic carpet setup sheet with a ride height of 5mm, shock length of 63.5mm and a rear downstop value of 5 and it ended up being a droop value of 3.5mm over ride height .. Yikes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.