Like Tree1Likes

Xray T3 2012

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
+1
One year ago I was racing a Hot Bodies Cyclone TC and HB toe blocks (of different degrees) were not only expensive, but ridiculously hard to find as well. Also the HB shim kit for their toe blocks were even harder to find. Today I am racing an Xray T3 and I absolutely love the simplicity of Xray's hinge pin holders. They are very easy to replace and (when compared to toe blocks) they are very inexpensive too.
Forgot to mention the Tamiya blocks bent if you looked at them funny. I've never bent any metal on an Xray, besides the occasional drive shaft.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Everyone seems to want the lower suspension arms using the pillow ball method........it just surprises me that no one such as RSD or Exotec or even Xray themselves, haven't just made a lower suspension holder similar to the stock item that is pocketed for a pillow ball and bolts onto the stock holders. You would then have the best of both worlds, still being able to shim width with washers and have the pin float. Since the T3 platform now uses the main lower suspension mounts like the others, your up/down could just be done with shims, or you could still make the 0,-.75 and +.75 holders with the pillow ball mod. JMO

Hey Art did you S one yet or still contemplating?
I have not done anything...still considering my options!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

I think there are always trade offs between each style. I think the Tamiya blocks are very easy to work on, but they are prone to bending in a big impact. Adjusting roll center with these blocks is so very simple.

The Xray blocks are defiantly more work to adjust roll center, but are much more durable. Also adjusting is increments smaller then .75mm are a bit more work, but still possible. The track width changes are also very flexible.

I think the ultimate compromise in the Kyosho TF6 blocks. Which use a aluminum block with adjustable inserts that are made from composite. This to me seems like a very good solution to really get the best of both worlds.

Having said all of this...I really do not dislike the Xray mounts, because they are more work, but the durability and flexibility out weights the ease of use.

Just my 2cents!
Old 07-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
... it just surprises me that no one such as RSD or Exotec or even Xray themselves, haven't just made a lower suspension holder similar to the stock item that is pocketed for a pillow ball and bolts onto the stock holders ...
Johnny, are the pillow ball suspension pieces in this Exotek T3'12 chassis kit similar to what you are talking about?
http://www.exotekracing.com/t312-xr3...onversion-set/
Old 07-31-2012, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Anyone looking for an xray T3 2010 with an exotek chassis here is the link http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...is-2010-a.html
Can meet you at the track
Old 07-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I want a pillow ball conversion that works with XRay's existing chassis.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
+1
Old 07-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

such a cool design...

Old 07-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artwork
such a cool design...

kyosho makes real nice stuff...probably my next kit
Old 07-31-2012, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

I think you can still use Exotek but just not like the one in that picture. The rear front block has to be the solid 1-piece instead of the split 2-piece.

Can anyone else confirm this?
Old 07-31-2012, 12:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Qwiglee
I think you can still use Exotek but just not like the one in that picture. The rear front block has to be the solid 1-piece instead of the split 2-piece.

I'm pretty sure the screw holes for the 1pc blocks don't line up anywhere.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Qwiglee

The forward holes on the rear of the car are an exact match, however the far rear holes are slightly wider. I just measured with an old 416 lipo chassis i had laying here.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'm pretty sure the screw holes for the 1pc blocks don't line up anywhere.
Adam, please read my previous post.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Johnny, are the pillow ball suspension pieces in this Exotek T3'12 chassis kit similar to what you are talking about?
http://www.exotekracing.com/t312-xr3...onversion-set/
No, I was thinking just making a direct replacement for the hinge pin holders (the black plastic pieces) that would be pocketed for the pillow ball, but thats the only stock piece that would be replaced, everything else would remain stock Xray. The Exotech stuff is very nice though.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Is this what you are looking for ?

http://www.cso.com.hk/htdocs/modules...ex.php?nsn=233

I have been using bits and pieces of this on my xray chassis. They fit without any modification to the chassis or parts. There are a few significant drawbacks to this set. They only offer 2.5 "degree" , 2.75 "degree" , and 3.0 "degree" rear toe blocks. ( the front of the rear block is the only one offered, so adjusting track width to your liking is impossible unless you mix and match with the standard xray blocks. I've done this along with the "Hagberg mod" to allow some fine adjustment with thin shims on the front of the rear mounts. If you want to use outboard toe, you are S.O.L unless you get creative by using the front blocks in the rear rear. I've done this successfully but its still very limiting because the track width cannot be adjusted much at all.
Oh, and the low hinge pin position isn't an option, compared to the stock xray blocks.

It is too bad that CSO doesn't offer a wide variety of these blocks for fine tuning. Also the rear of the front block needs to be significantly more durable, the cross bar is way too thin and therefore easily bends.

I think the Exotek is superior to CSO right now. I wish Exotek offered toe / pillow blocks that fit the X-ray hole pattern. I bet they'd make a killing selling those beefy blocks to many of the xray T3 owners out there !

Jake D.

Last edited by Magnet Top; 07-31-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.