Help with charger and lathe question...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with charger and lathe question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 10:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Help with charger and lathe question...

Getting back into electric racing...I have a LRP Pulsar competition charger....and I see all these recommendations for a CE 35 BL or GFX....

My question is a PULSAR enough for most of the task? I won't use it to discharge - I'll get a tray for that....what else can the CE35 do that the Pulsar can't do. I want to make sure before I sell my pulsar and put down 300 Plus for a ce35.

What about a lathe and brush cutter? Is it essential? How often are you suppose to cut the comm? AFter every race? If when needed...also could you just change the brush instead of recut it for better results? Can you cut the comm on those new V2 motors?

Lastly, is a Motor Management System necessary? Is that what I need to use to determine if my comm and brushes need to be changed?

Sorry for all these noob questions...before when I ran electric..gosh...years ago...I use to just run my motor until it can't run no more...change as batteries...

Thx
Old 11-18-2004, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

the pulsar is a great charger i wouldnt sell it, yes you can cut the v2's but they say it practicly never neads it. if you are running mod i would defintily recomend a lathe, if your running stock its nice to have but not a nesessity
Old 11-18-2004, 01:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

yes I am planning on racing MOd and I do plan on getting the v2....if the v2 hardly needs cutting - then a lathe is not necessary then right? Just keep changing those brushes?

G
Old 11-18-2004, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by loosenut
yes I am planning on racing MOd and I do plan on getting the v2....if the v2 hardly needs cutting - then a lathe is not necessary then right? Just keep changing those brushes?

G
you would still need to cut the com, abeit at greater time intervals, if you have a mate who can cut it then that is good,

a lathe is a a good longterm investment though,
Old 11-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You might as well keep the Pulsar charger. If you are racing regularly, it's very nice to have 2 chargers.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:36 PM
Tech Adept

The LRP competition is a great charger and has a motor runin feature. I dodn't really see the need for anything fancier unless you want better discharging and a little more battery information.

If you are running any traditional motor sotk or mod you will need to cut the comm. You can often talk someone at the track into doing it, but having one of your own is simpler. The number of runs between cuts is hard to pin down, but 5-8 for mod and 10-13 for stock are rough numbers.

A motor management system is totally unneccesary, but can be helpful in picking the best motor to run or identifying a problem.