Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big race question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 07:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I would say learn to drive in traffic,In your heats if someone is faster than you let them go(it saves you from getting taken out)If you drive as good as you can you will make the main you should be in(old joke)For me If I can get my car 3/4 on the handling(good but not quite their)I will just concentrate on learning the track,Also try driving from different spots on the driver's stand,you may not get the spot you want when it comes to the "real" racing.But I still think if you can drive in traffic(without taking everyone out)is the key to doing well at the bigger races..
Old 11-20-2004, 08:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

a well maintained car will NOT guarantee you a victory BUT a poorly prep'ed car would guarantee you a loss.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Just want to add a few more things from my experience:

Try and work on your car during the day at the race track, finish as much as you can on the car, motor, setup...etc. while you're still at the track. Try not to work on your car at night and get good rest. I find that I drive much better when I'm well rested.

Work out a schedule that will allow you to maximize your time while working on your car. For example, glue your tires first, and while that is waiting to dry, you can work on cutting some motors, or cutting out a body.

Lastly, if possible, have a race buddy who is not racing the event help you out (charging batteries, gluing tires...etc.) and also look over your car while it is on the track (check your driving lines, and the handling of the car) It is a tremendous help when you have someone helping you out. My good friend MDawson on this board helped me out recently at the TCS National, and that was the best finished I ever had (4th overall in GT-1) and I credit a lot of that was due to his help in the pits .

Good luck to you at the big race!

Steve Wang
Old 11-20-2004, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

I haven't raced at any "big events yet," but I think I have a little to offer.
I think the driver should treat all races as if they were theIFMAR Worlds. This way the driver develops that competitive mindset and discipline to win at any race. If you have seperate preparational rituals for the small races as you do for the big races, then how are you going to truly know what works? You don't want any of your setup procedures to feel awkward. Practice them now, while you are going to the track to just throw down some practice laps. By practicing your setup and preparation skills at the club level with sincerity, I think you would be ready for anything that comes your way. This is I why I totally freak out about prep at the club races that I do. I just want to get into the habit of taking racing seriously!
If something does fail, and you are out of the race, remember that it is no big deal. I had my ESC blow on me during one of my personal best runs, and I was pissed! I then saw myself begining to hate the hobby over one lousy malfunction. Luckily I was able to step back and not get angry.
We are out there to have fun and to win...but I think that the fun aspect should be focussed on first!
Good luck man....go get em!