Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RP Racing Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

RP tires are made by Take Off and Schumacher USA will be importing them along side the Take Off line. Take Off tires were designed to have a balance of grip and durability. The goal of the RP series was to make an all out race tire.

They will be sold as 4 packs w/o inserts and as premounts just like the Take Off GL tires in 24, 30, 36 and 40 compounds.

They still wear better than other tires but they have more grip than Take Offs. They seem to have more broad operating temps than Sorex. We have been highly impressed during testing. So much so that there are a few thousand tires on the way to the US in a few weeks!

Speedtech is first in line to get some as soon as they arrive.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for coming on the thread. We are equally excited as you are about these new tires. We'll be running them again at SoCal this Sat. I'll probably give you a call next week to let you know how they work

Steve Wang
Old 11-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: SoCal

Originally posted by picco007
Steve,

Are the temperature ratings almost the same as sorex? 36R, etc......Thanks.
The temperature ratins are very similar to sorex, with the exception of RP having a 30 compound instead of a 28 and 32 compound.

Steve Wang
Old 11-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Cant wait

steve has me salivating thinking about the steering and responsiveness im gonna have in my car when i try these tires out! In N Out is on me steve if we figure out my "steering" dilemma.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:06 PM
Tech Addict

Any idea on the pricing for the premounted sets, or is that still being worked out?

TC

CoBroRa
Old 11-19-2004, 02:15 PM
Tech Champion

We will have to wait until be get the tires in a couple of weeks to know for sure. The RP's are a bit more expensive but we think we will still be able to sell them for $39.99 per premounted 4pk.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Friend of mine had and tested the RP on high grip track 29C, 85%, wear rate is way too much compare to Sorex. Grip is as good if not better, pricey too.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Tech Champion

GTO2 - What compound did he run? It was probably too soft. We are finding that when you use the correct compound RP wear is somewhere in between that of a Sorex and a Take Off tire.

Price wise most shops in the US sell Sorex for $13.99 to $14.99 per pair. The RP will sell for $25.99 per 4pk unmounted (~$12.99 per pr). Premounts will be $39.99 (we think ).
Old 11-19-2004, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

Adrian,
he run 36 w bomber insert . in comparison with HPI 33 med green (35 sucks here) and Sorex 40 med C.
Pricewise Sorex is about $10/pr here, whereas RP is double of that.
Another thing is the heat and humidity here is relatively higher so thing may not work as well as due to locality.
In general, what works best here (day) is Sorex40 with pre heating unless the temp drop way down.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by AdrianM
We will have to wait until be get the tires in a couple of weeks to know for sure. The RP's are a bit more expensive but we think we will still be able to sell them for $39.99 per premounted 4pk.
Adrian: Are you implying that Take-Off premounts are supposed to cost $40?

I get them around here for like $33...or I'd be mounting my own tires, reusing inserts and rims
Old 11-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by GTO2
Adrian,
he run 36 w bomber insert . in comparison with HPI 33 med green (35 sucks here) and Sorex 40 med C.
Pricewise Sorex is about $10/pr here, whereas RP is double of that.
Another thing is the heat and humidity here is relatively higher so thing may not work as well as due to locality.
In general, what works best here (day) is Sorex40 with pre heating unless the temp drop way down.
Hi GTO2,

If you have to go up to Sorex 40 during the day, chances your friend should be running the RP40. Bomber insert is probably not the best selected insert as well, he might want to try the RP-MS or M (depending on the surface really) insert simply because of the contour of the RP tire. When I orginally tested the RP tires, I was running Yokomo 039F inserts and I barely got some air gap out of it (a lot less than I normally get when mounting them in sorexs) so bomber insert, being a fuller insert probably made the tire fuller and harder than necessary which might have contributed to the wear.

Through my personal testing, I can get RPs to last just as long if not, a bit longer than the Sorexs. We're going to test a lot more tomorrow so I'll post my findings on here

Steve Wang

Last edited by SpeedTech; 11-19-2004 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by BlackKat
Adrian: Are you implying that Take-Off premounts are supposed to cost $40?

I get them around here for like $33...or I'd be mounting my own tires, reusing inserts and rims
HI BlackKat,

I think that's the MSRP on it, the MSRP on Take off pre-mounts is around $40 as well, however, we discount them down to about $32. The same will probably be for the RP tires

Steve Wang
Old 11-19-2004, 10:52 PM
Tech Elite

Steve,
the RP tyre profile is indeed different than Sorex. We probably would try it again with RP inserts as you pointed out. let us know your test results thanks
Old 11-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Tech Champion

Hi Guys,

Here's what we found out from our testing yesterday:

The best combination was using the RP rims and insert along with the RP tires. We used the RP 36R tire with RP-M insert and RP rims and it provided just the right amount of air gap. The next best combination would probabaly be Yokomo TW-0512-2 rims with the Yokomo 039 series inserts or Tamiya rims with xenon blue or black inserts (the insert selection depends on the RP tire compound you choose)

The tires will need to have a easy break in run to get rid of the center seam or if you have a Yokomo tire sander, that would help take down the center seam. And as for applying traction compound, for the particular track we were on, paragon was the choice, and the best result was to put it on about 3 minutes before the race and wipe it off right before you go on the track. Give it 1-2 warm up lap then you should be good to go. If you want the front end to have more bite, do it for 5-7 minutes beforehand. This will produce a lot more front bite on the tires.

Again, excellent wear on all the RP tires, regardless of the insert selected. I ran the 36R through 1 round of qualifying and the main event (and it already has 2 runs on it prior) and my best lap time was .3 of a second off the fastest car on the track (with the motor undergeared by my mistake) So I believe the tire was very competitive (just the driver was bit off ) I also handed the tire to several other racers to try and they all seem to find it a very good tire as well.

If you guys have any questions, feel free to post.

Steve Wang
Old 11-21-2004, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by SpeedTech
HI BlackKat,

I think that's the MSRP on it, the MSRP on Take off pre-mounts is around $40 as well, however, we discount them down to about $32. The same will probably be for the RP tires

Steve Wang
Thanks Steve,

Thats one of several reasons I buy Speedtech

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.