Wiki Posts
Search

Duratrax Delphi

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 12:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Duratrax Delphi

I am looking at getting one of these as cheap fun car to learn to Drive a RWD and hone in my skills (my Xray is spoiling me)

my local track has a F1/LeMans class that i can use it in,

the only issue I can see is that the tires would need to be replaced with a better compound slicks,

I just need to get some input from people who have used and raced this car, just how durable and raceable thay are,

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=236

Old 11-16-2004, 03:43 AM
Tech Elite

Tower has listed on their site that you can use F103 tires on the duratrax, go to tower and read the full explanation.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXAEJ5**&P=7

Imo If you can find an old Hpi F1 you'd have alot more tire options. For foam, any 1/10th scale pan rims would fit(TRC are good) and if you wanted rubber tires then BSR has lots of options.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:35 AM
Tech Master

personaly i think the tamiya is the nicest
Old 11-16-2004, 05:44 AM

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

F1's that use Tamiya rims have one drawback: tire selection! Foam is the way to go, and you can only use tamiya foam on that car. Rims aren't easy to find too.
The HPI car is very good. I have one, and I use my regular pro ten rims on it.
If you want to leave all tourings in the dust, get a pro ten car! You'll be 1,5 to 2seconds a lap faster, and still learn more driving skill.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:50 AM
Tech Regular

i have seen someone with this car at ch and it was ok, i think you will need atleast new tires, ball diff and alloy motor mount to run it though. why dont you get a 1/12 car to use at ec its more fun. also running this car you will be at a disadvantage on the slippery ch track compared to the 4wd tamiya that most run.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

FYI the Delphi Indy car has been discontinued by the manufacturer. The hobbyshop I work for sold them but we cannot get them any more from any distributors. They are great cars though for the price. We were selling them $99 RTR. Can't beat that with a stick. I personally would get the HPI if you can find it. I had one and they were awesome cars. Just the class died out at the track and had no use for the car.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:29 AM

What is it with classes dying out?
We, the drivers control what is ran! If you think it's more fun to run f1 than to run touring, than RUN IT!
If peoples see you running an f1, they'll think: "hey that's fun, I want one!", that's how the Touring class started ten years ago, and that how we got the pro ten class back on the road around here!
The pro ten class was dead around here, three years ago, now we have 15+ entry's at every race! Last race we had more pro ten's than modified tourers, just because evrything thinks they're more fun to drive!

I don't want to make anyone angry, but I think it's weak to say: "the class died out, so I don't run it anymore"
Keep running what you like, not what the manufacturers earn the most money on!
Old 11-16-2004, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Is it weak to say it is dying out if everyone that has them stops racing or sells them off to support another class. RC cars is a fad. Everyone wants to run what is popular. 20 years ago 1/10 pan car was popular. 10 years ago 2wd F-1 was popular and everyone ran it. Now it is touring car is popular. Just recently 1/10 pan car is making a come back and possibley f-1 will do the same. But don't tell me that saying a class is dying out is weak when you don't even race at the same track as me. It is hard to race when you are the only one to have one.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

We made an attempt around my parts to bring back the F1 2wd class last year, 4 of us went out at bought the Cross F1 car (sweet ride BTW) and we knew that 4-5 people still have Tamiya F1's or other manufacturer's chassis....We just couldnt get enough interest to make a consistent heat out of it...I'd love to run a 2wd pan class, but getting people to do it consistently it difficult with so many other classes being popular....not too many people want to run 3 classes in a day...
Old 11-16-2004, 08:46 AM

IMHO I think that a driver should choose what class he's running based on what type of car he/she thinks is fun to drive. Once too often I heard people say: "I liked the 1/10th pan car much more than touring, but no top driver is running 10th pan anymore". I've even heard world class drivers say that exact same thing!

I don't care what the top drivers run. With my limited budget and talent, I'll never be a contender amongst them! I drive what I like to drive, and I let as much people as possible drive my car to let them make up their own opinion. At the moment, I think the manufacturers decide what class is "in" and what is "out", in stead of listening to what drivers want.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Everything in RC is a fashion whether you like it or not. The best motor or body depends on what the factory guys are running. Most people run what is the newest and greatest and most of the time it is what the factory guys run. That just how it is.

As for classes people are going to purchase and run their car in what ever class has a regular turnout. I'm not going to buy a nitro car to race at my track since I might only get to race it 4 times out of the whole year since no one else shows up to race that runs nitro. Just this year our club started racing 1/12 4wd touring cars. Ya it looks like alot of fun and I got to drive my friends and I thought about buying one. Well guess what I know about 5 people that are stuck with the cars since there is not enough turnout at the races to run them.

So if you plan to bash out in the street or parking lot or backyard, buy what you would find fun to drive. Now back to what this thread was meant for.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think Corally makes an F1 car too.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

The Hpi F1 is sick on ozite, handles like a dream. Throw a cheap mod(11t or so) in it and they are alot of fun.

My local track runs F1 but only the tamiya F201 chassis is allowed which imo is a POS. So go figure...
Old 11-16-2004, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by fatdoggy
Tower has listed on their site that you can use F103 tires on the duratrax, go to tower and read the full explanation.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXAEJ5**&P=7

Imo If you can find an old Hpi F1 you'd have alot more tire options. For foam, any 1/10th scale pan rims would fit(TRC are good) and if you wanted rubber tires then BSR has lots of options.
thanks Fat doggy, foams do not work on my local track so rubbers would be fine, I was looking at the BSR and tayima Tires,

I have looked at the HPI/Corally/ and older Tayima but cannot buy them new anymore, and the F201 is not what I am looking for (might as well run another touring car)

the Durtrax is a cheap buy from tower hobbies, just need to know how reliable and competitive they are,
Old 11-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by ausracer
i have seen someone with this car at ch and it was ok, i think you will need atleast new tires, ball diff and alloy motor mount to run it though. why dont you get a 1/12 car to use at ec its more fun. also running this car you will be at a disadvantage on the slippery ch track compared to the 4wd tamiya that most run.
that is where I was planning on running it,

I thought of Running a 1:12 at EC but I have not seen anyone run them in a while and EC is only on every 2 weeks, (and 1:12 is more expensive)

F1 at CH is on every week, I planned to get the new tires, heatsink and ball diff as well,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.