Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya 1/12 R/C RM-01 "Racing Master"

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
There is .350mm difference between the 6mm Tamiya axle, and a standard 1/4" spur gear bearing.
I used a thin piece of Tamiya yellow tape, 2 turns around the axle to fit the spur bearing.
Works a champ, have several packs thru the car now, the gear spins perfectly concentric and the car is silent.
Dave, are you using Flanged or regular bearings?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dag32
Dave, are you using Flanged or regular bearings?
Non-flanged.
I did a test fit with a 1/4" flanged bearing, but it didn't have enough clearance.
I haven't rebuilt the diff yet, because the Tamiya diff is so awesome.
But when the time comes, I would carefully remove the spur gear, while leaving the bearing on the axle.
By doing this we won't have to go thru the tape sizing up deal for quick rebuilds.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Looking at your Iseki stickered Toyota brings me way back.

BTW you did a really nice job of adapting those stickers onto the Toyota body. I remember those side stickers weren't very easy because it was so long. They're hard to apply even and straight without any bubbles.

I had an Iseki 956, a Newman 956 and also a Canon 956. I wonder if Tamiya will be bringing back any of those. There also used to be a very cool looking blue Leyton House Toyota back in the day. Would be nice to see that one again.
Decal Island is working on 956 decals and different decals for the Toyota, the Toyota had about 20 diffferent colors when it ran here in Japan,so it will be interesting to see what decals he deciedes to make.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
Decal Island is working on 956 decals and different decals for the Toyota, the Toyota had about 20 diffferent colors when it ran here in Japan,so it will be interesting to see what decals he deciedes to make.
EPIC !
Old 01-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Anyone remember this version?

And this one?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Congrats on your RM-01 purchase

Please read thru this thread, I believe all your questions have been answered already.
If there is something that hasn't been covered, post it, and you will have answers coming.
Ok I still have a question after reading through the thread again. Maybe I am missing something regarding the battery.

I installed the supplied battery stops onto the chassis. I took the finished build to my local race track/ hobby shop and was first showing off the car but really wanting to find a battery for it. The shop owner was puzzled by it and could not offer any suggestions. None of his batteries would work for my car.

So, Redbull, I have noticed that you are not using the stock battery mounts. First, what kind and size of battery are you using? And how is it being held securely to the car? Is the blue strap doing the trick for you? What is that? Please provide some more info on the battery type and setup if you would.

Much appreciated.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

Looks like RedBullFiXX is using Shorty pack made for the Losi 22.

Disregard see below.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Tech Champion

From the Tamiya page linked at page 1
1/12 GT Rules
Recommended Minimum Skill Level: Advanced; Experienced racer with proficient driving abilities.
Legal chassis platform: RM-01
Motor Rules: 17.5 brushless motors. See motor chart for legal TCS 17.5 motors.
No BOOST ESC rules: See TCS ESC chart for legal “Zero” timing and “blinky” legal ESC’s.
Battery rules: ROAR Legal LiPO 3.7 volt 1S battery packs. Note: This type of pack must be taped onto the chassis. Omitting the stock plastic LiFe battery holder is legal.
Wheel & Tire Rules: Tamiya or any aftermarket tires and wheels.
Tamiya body sets only.
No minimum weight.
I use the MurfDogg 1s lipo, there are many brands of lipo in this category, all are the same size.

Omit the 2s life battery holders.
Use Battery strapping tape, as pictured below.

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...d=tape&pg_no=1

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...yword=&pg_no=1

For the setup.
I just followed the directions, I may tweak on it for pavement racing, but on carpet, it's very good as is.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Anyone remember this version?

And this one?

Yes and yes. Hope tamiya will come out with both liveries.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
Looks like RedBullFiXX is using Shorty pack made for the Losi 22.
Shorty packs are 2s-7.4v

We use 1s for 12th scale. 3.7v
Old 01-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Shorty packs are 2s

We use 1s for 12th scale.
Yes I just remembered and updated my original post. Thanks Mr. B
Old 01-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
Yes I just remembered and updated my original post. Thanks Mr. B
No sweat dude
Old 01-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Tech Regular

Looking at your Iseki stickered Toyota brings me way back.

BTW you did a really nice job of adapting those stickers onto the Toyota body. I remember those side stickers weren't very easy because it was so long. They're hard to apply even and straight without any bubbles.

I had an Iseki 956, a Newman 956 and also a Canon 956. I wonder if Tamiya will be bringing back any of those. There also used to be a very cool looking blue Leyton House Toyota back in the day. Would be nice to see that one again.
Thanks. The Iseki decals are very long ... I still have a few bubbles here and there but overall I'm happy with it. I still have the Newman decals, I was hoping Tamiya might re-release the 956, but if not, then I will probably have a Toms Toyota body in Newman colours at some point.

I have the Tamtech Ferrari GTO and Porsche 935 Martini on the shelf ... I had a look last night and both those bodies are a near perfect fit on the RM-01 chassis, could be another option
Old 01-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

RedBullFiXX...read through the thread and I'm thinking of picking one of these up just cause they're so damn cool! It's my understanding that you ran yours pretty successfully in a 17.5 "blinky" class...around here we run Boosted 17.5 for 1/12th. What's your thoughts on how the car would handle the extra oomph of boosted 17.5? I'm really just looking for something cool to play with and be different with but at the same time I don't want to be completely off the back. Since you seem to have the most experience with this chassis I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have on this. TIA!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 01-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike
RedBullFiXX...read through the thread and I'm thinking of picking one of these up just cause they're so damn cool! It's my understanding that you ran yours pretty successfully in a 17.5 "blinky" class...around here we run Boosted 17.5 for 1/12th. What's your thoughts on how the car would handle the extra oomph of boosted 17.5? I'm really just looking for something cool to play with and be different with but at the same time I don't want to be completely off the back. Since you seem to have the most experience with this chassis I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have on this. TIA!

Cheers,
Mike
Well...
That kind of depends on a few things.
For starters, my R5 is definitely faster on a high grip track, it has a stiff chassis, and many adjustments, if you have experience with that kind of car there will be a certain advantage, make no mistake about that.

However, if the grip is lower, the track bumpier, the driver new to 12th scale....The RM-01 will be as easy as possible to get around at a decent pace.
17.5 boosted would be fine.

I plan on racing this car outdoors on a low to med grip track this spring, and as with the original Racing Master car from years passed, it should be fun, and in the hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.