Is RC A Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 09:27 AM
Tech Regular

True....
Old 11-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
With any Sport .. there hours of involvment , preperation , practice and skill being fined tuned to do your best .. So R/C is a sport .. it takes dedication and the will do be your best .. If it werent considered a sport to a certian degree, then the hobby would fade away there would be no interest and just be considered a friendly hobby shared by those who only see R/C type vechiles once in a while .. It is the Sport of the Hobby that will remain ...

Last edited by mb racer; 11-16-2004 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

R/C is not a sport. Only R/C geeks think that R/C is a sport. I don't see a whole ton of R/C racers that I would call athletic. Heck, I think golfers are in better shape than most of the R/C crowd.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Motor City Hami
R/C is not a sport. Only R/C geeks think that R/C is a sport. I don't see a whole ton of R/C racers that I would call athletic. Heck, I think golfers are in better shape than most of the R/C crowd.
I know golfers that couldn't hold a radio for eight minutes. They swing at the ball and then ride in a golf cart. Real sporting, eh?

If it has a ball it's not a sport. It's a game. Physical exertion doesn't define sport, physical activity does. Driving an R/C Car at the highest level is every bit as demanding playing golf. Sports are about concentration, and the only sport that demands as much concentration as R/C racing, is full scale auto racing.

All that being said, R/C is not a sport by the definition of the masses. And we all know that the bulk of the human population is intelligent enough to dictate our reality. Boy Bands have Platinum albums so the public seems to be a good judge of talent, and what it takes to be good at something right? LOL!
Old 11-16-2004, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Lots of good reading here.
Indeed the issue of sport or not is interesting as both sides are correct.
It is a hobby much the same as a group of kids playing street hockey to pass time away with some sporting undertones. No-one is competing for money and they always change players around to offset an un-balance in teams... a game if you will.
Well a group of guys out at the track running for fun is a hobby in that sense. They are all competing for fun and usually when one person gets far ahead they wait for the pack to make it interesting. That is an example of the hobby end of it.
Indeed there is a sport aspect to rc though.
Motor sports are a sport in themselves and that which is governed by a set of rules for competition with an outcome of one winner ultimately deems this a sport. Each area of motor sport requires some form of physical exertion but more than anything it requires great concentration and skill as well as an understanding of the machines limits to best maximize a result in final standings.
As with any motorsport there are careers that are within the sport such as drivers , team managers and sponsors to name a few. there are those who feel motorsports are not a real sport , in the sense of the word sport they are half right according to the dictionary but then the dictionary's meaning is usually somewhat open to enterpretation.
I feel that RC is what the rc owner is what he or she makes it. If a driver competes regularly and feels it is a sport then by all means they are right but if someone else is competing and does it merely as a past time or hobby capacity then that is all it is.
Same deal goes for sport fishing and such. It is what you make of it.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Is Chess a sport too now, just because it takes concentration? Come on.

If you get wrist cramps from holding a 3 pound radio with both hands for 8 minutes, you are weak. Try doing some more 12 ounce curls to get back into shape. Are there R/C racers that are really exhausted after one run? The next time I see Josh Cyrul I'm gonna pants him right after the A main. Let's see if he has enough energy to chase me down and knock me over after his tough drive in the A main.

At least in a real race car you could die from making a mistake. And you tend to sweat a little in all that fire gear in the summer sun. Plus, the car bounces you around a little, giving you a few bumps, aches and pains. Racing is a sport. R/C racing is just a hobby... a fun hobby, but just a hobby.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

You get more than bounced around in a real car, you get WORKED. The fact that drivers can hold their heads up during 2 Plus G's of lateral acceleration lap after lap is amazing. Real race cars are not easy to drive, most must be manhandled in ordered to get them around the track. Like I said, R/C isn't really a sport by the masses' definition. Chess isn't really comparable becase there is really no hand-eye coordination involved. All the depth perception and hand-eye coordination of major league sports is required for R/C. And you'll see almost as many grown men standing around scratching their butts at an R/C race as you will on a baseball field. There's generally less spitting at an R/C race though.

The important thing to remember is all ALL SPORTS ARE GAMES, which makes this a completely pointless argument.

Last edited by CypressMidWest; 11-16-2004 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by rcracingkid
I would have to say addiction more then anything
Yes...a legal addiction .
Old 11-17-2004, 01:05 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Motor City Hami where in scs do uou live in?
Old 11-17-2004, 01:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm near Jefferson and Martin. Ever frequent the Blue Goose Inn? I am within stumbling distance of it.

Why? Are you looking to egg my house because I said that R/C car racing is not a sport?
Old 11-17-2004, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking Here you go "Sport"

Here, I'll make it simple. This is from the Dictionary.

sport (spôrt, sprt)
(Sports, Games, Clothing, Regional)
n.
a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
b. A particular form of this activity.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.
a. Mockery; jest: He made sport of his own looks.
b. An object of mockery, jest, or play: treated our interests as sport.
c. A joking mood or attitude: She made the remark in sport.
a. One known for the manner of one's acceptance of rules, especially of a game, or of a difficult situation: a poor sport.
b. Informal One who accepts rules or difficult situations well.
c. Informal A pleasant companion: was a real sport during the trip.
6. Informal
a. A person who lives a jolly, extravagant life.
b. A gambler at sporting events.
7. Biology An organism that shows a marked change from the normal type or parent stock, typically as a result of mutation.
8. Maine See summercater. See Regional Note at summercater.
9. Obsolete Amorous dalliance; lovemaking.
v. sport·ed, sport·ing, sports
v.intr.
1. To play or frolic.
2. To joke or trifle.
3. Biology To mutate.
v.tr.
To display or show off: "His shoes sported elevated heels" Truman Capote.
adj. or sports
1. Of, relating to, or appropriate for sports: sport fishing; sports equipment.
2. Designed or appropriate for outdoor or informal wear: a sport shirt.

Hows that for you "sport" There is alot there I never knew to be "sport" It looks to me by definition that R/C is a sport.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Motor City Hami
I'm near Jefferson and Martin. Ever frequent the Blue Goose Inn? I am within stumbling distance of it.

Why? Are you looking to egg my house because I said that R/C car racing is not a sport?
yea i live right across the street from scs golf course
Old 11-18-2004, 06:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

I looked at the house down the block on Masonic, across from the school. It's a big, cool house, but needs tons and tons of work. Maybe we'll run into each other at Larry's once I am able to get my season started.