Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Marshalling and Novice Class >

Marshalling and Novice Class

Marshalling and Novice Class

Old 11-13-2004, 10:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Marshalling and Novice Class

Hi this is my time on here and i'm starting with 2 bitches....First being marshalling...99% of the people who race on a friday night marshall without a problem its part of racing....afew of the younger ones race but then do not want to marshall they will sit down and hope that enough get up so they will not be needed and if they are required they gather in groups talking or just play and are not even watching the race...the way i see it you race and marshall or why bother turning up......2nd bitch....racing in novice class then racing again in another class....i've just read the rules and it states...no cross entering.....minis 2 of them race in novice then race in the mini class is this allowed..?
Thanks
Brewy
Old 11-13-2004, 10:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

on your 2nd gripe, i say yes, because they are too seperate beasts. You got a mini, which is smaller and not really a touring car (if you are taking like mini coopers) then you got the touring class, which is different. I would say if a racer drives in novice stock then drives in 19t, that would be wrong.

And i say marshel anytime you can, dont be a stickler as many people will start disliking you. Sometimes you can provide a laugh while marsheling. I did once, went to aid a car with the body rolled under, and i slipped and fell flat on my ass. But depending on age, would you really want a young kid trying to fix your car on the fly?
Old 11-13-2004, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

Your second gripe:
It depends on the level of racing. In classes like 19t, there often isn't enough participation for there to be seperate levels. I think going up is okay, but you can't go down (no sandbagging). RC is about fun, and should include as many people as reasonable. Now iff there was Novice and Intermediate 19t, and that person had done novice stock, then he must enter novice 19t or intermediate stcok so that he can race at the same level.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Your 1st Gripe.
I usually find this a gripe of mine.

Marshalling is what it is, everybody should do it, if a person cannot after their race, they need to get a sub and let the race director know. What was funny I badly bruised the bone on my foot earlier this year and could not marshal, barely could walk. I felt soo guilty at the track. I even had people giving me the evil eye for not marshaling. I did my best to find a sub and also told the race director my problem.

Another one is when tracks don't really pursuit getting the last race marshals and start the next race with 2 or 3 marshals, if that. Usually I have been in some of those races and get burned with a 8 to 10 second lap, waiting for a marshal.

Another one is marshals watching the race instead of their area.

Finally Another is a track with locals that want their guys to win so bad they take you out trying to marshal their hero's car and don't even attempt to marshal you after that. Or they even burn you with a 8 to 10 second marshalling, because you are not local and they are for their home car. I thought it was my imagination, gave the benifit of a doubt. After 4 race days worth of this, I will never go back to the track.

2nd Grip

I would not have a problem with cross entering as long as Novice drivers are truly novice. Some of the classes at the tracks, like novice are very thin. For our boat race we have a rule that a novice driver can only run Stock classes only. If they run 19T or open mod then they cannot run novice. So they would only be able to run 27T or mabuchi mini type classes (well with boats its a little different class wise).
Old 11-14-2004, 01:40 AM
Tech Regular

At my club we all marshall or if we can't we ask if someone else can so we can do some work on our car(s) as we only have a max of 10-15mins before we race again , but i know what your saying though one or two people don't marshal at the club i race and it's quiet annoying as we have marshall but they can't be bothered to help out the club for 5mins

Chazz
Old 11-14-2004, 01:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re; Marshaling

This tends to be a problem where ever you go. At our club to try and solve the problem we introduced a impound area, where after a race you take you car and radio and place them in a safe area, normally infront of where our race director sits, put them there then go and marshal the next race, then you are able to collect your car and radio after you have finished marshalling. then there are no excuses for not marsalling.

As for the other problem we only allow cross entering between electric novice and nitro novice. No other classes for novice drivers as we try to encourage them to drive better and get more experience before stepping up to another class.

Hope this helps,

Todd.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:53 AM
Tech Elite

I think that if a driver doesn't turn marshal after their race or find someone to do it for them then they should be docked a lap from their best qualifier. That seemed to fix the problems we had when I ran nitro.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:50 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Marshalling and Novice Class

Originally posted by brewy
Hi this is my time on here and i'm starting with 2 bitches....First being marshalling...99% of the people who race on a friday night marshall without a problem its part of racing....afew of the younger ones race but then do not want to marshall they will sit down and hope that enough get up so they will not be needed and if they are required they gather in groups talking or just play and are not even watching the race...the way i see it you race and marshall or why bother turning up......2nd bitch....racing in novice class then racing again in another class....i've just read the rules and it states...no cross entering.....minis 2 of them race in novice then race in the mini class is this allowed..?
Thanks
Brewy
i find it useless to come on here an post about this !!
if u are really peeved .... y don't u do something bout it ....
talk to the ppl that do wrong, if its a young kid talk to there parents .... of course politely ....
even ask the race director if need b ....
don't just blame the younger ones .!! the older races do stand an talk while marshalling ... an don't pay attention too ...!!

no point in being two faced !! .... bitching..... but never doin anything to right the fact that marshalling is a required to make it a good evening 4 all !!

if anyone gets offended then ...i'll let it b ....but aren't u just taking the fun out of R/C Racing ....by taking it so seriously ??
have fun an relax ......!!!
also if ur peeved at novice cross entering ...mini an novice 540 ..
u really are taking your racing too seriously .....!!
Old 11-14-2004, 07:50 AM
Tech Adept

HEY! i am 12, i have been into RC for 3 years and know as much about how your TC3 goes togther, how to fix a body, and how to jump over cars going 35mph as most the people at my club. I personly don't car if your 5 or 55, as long as you get to my car quickly and fix it or put me back on the track. I ran my butt off marshalling if it's a bad race, i can come off sweating. Also it's not the people my age that i find slacking, there are only 2, and we are good marshalls. It's the older people, some are good, but all the non super good mod/12th racers just don't do marshalling that well. In light of ths new evidence i suggest you shut your trap.

2nd as far as i know, here you can enter as many classes as you want, as long as the car fits the rules, also, sometimes a car will race once with a son, then again with a father. As for novice cross entering, if you are too slow for teh other class, drop it, or too fast for novice, drop it. if you don't, you will be made here.

also, you don't tend to get bad marshalls at the nats or any big race, and fridays/club races are just for FUN, once it stops being fun, leave adn don't stop the other people from having fun.

Last edited by AE Basher; 11-14-2004 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default masrhalling

All marshalls to wear yellow jackets, all marshalls stay at there position until there relieved and if you fail to turn up for marshalling your ftd is taking away, thats how most sanctioned races in the Uk are run, dont think its harsh think its fair, marshal how you would like to be marshalled.

Me personnally im running to a car before its even crashed you can often tell when someones about to hit the barrier etc.

The only way to avoid the situation is not to crash, then you dont need a marshal then you go quicker then you can improve your car.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

o ya, if i remember right, in roar rules (who knows how many clubs follow them) they state if you do not show up for turn marsheling or do not have a rep go for you, you will be docked a lap on your best qualifier or your main.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:14 AM

On your first point .. I totally agree, with exception of age being a factor. At the club I race at the youngest members do the best job cornering, sometimes they have to be reminded to come out, but it's not much of an issue as they race in a class that usually has a lot of people so there is pleanty of people to cover.

I hate it when people always try to get out of cornering. Once in awhile I can understand, something is up, whatever, but where I race there is a guy who will never corner unless he's told to do so, and unless he's put on the far side of the track he will wander off when the race starts and nobody is watching.

As far as novice and another class, I think it's a matter of taking the whole situation into consideration. Is the person doing it then going off and running mod sedan and winning? That's horrible, but I see nothing wrong with a real novice running novice, and another class like spec or open stock and getting hammered. As long as they don't cause trouble in the next class up.

I think people who are too good for novice need to move up. Fast isn't always good though, at my club a guy runs circles around the novices who race with him .. he'll run 26 laps and everyone else will be running 12-16. His car is not novice, but his driving and etiquette are .. he can't pass, he plows through people, and he never corner marshalls. His worse offense is if he's battling for 1st with someone and hits them, causing them to crash, he never waits. He takes it as an opportunity to extend his lead. Our race director should make him run a slower motor, that's what I'd do, but for some reason nobody addresses it, they just talk trash about him. He'll run novice one night and open stock another, which I think is fine since he technically is still a novice. It all depends on the circumstances.

IMO there is no reason to get angry about it, my personal way of dealing with it is to do the exact opposite and lead by good example. I try to be out to corner first, my transponder is always out and ready for the next person to use, and if I mess up and do something against common etiquette I apologize to the person I offended. Like already said, this is fun and don't let others ruin that.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:22 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Marshalling and Novice Class

Originally posted by FlyinGT
i find it useless to come on here an post about this !!
if u are really peeved .... y don't u do something bout it ....
talk to the ppl that do wrong, if its a young kid talk to there parents .... of course politely ....
even ask the race director if need b ....
don't just blame the younger ones .!! the older races do stand an talk while marshalling ... an don't pay attention too ...!!
Im with you. I find that the young novice drivers make the best marshals. They always sprint to the cars cos their so eager to please.

Cheers,

mossie
Old 11-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Marshalling and Novice Class

Originally posted by brewy
Thanks
Brewy
When I've attended races at the Tamiya HQ track, they place 10 tall orange traffic cones out at the spots that they want the marshals at. The race director only has to take a quick glance out at the track to see if all of the spots are covered. This also prevents the "herding" of 2 or 3 guys in the same spot while another area goes unattended. Impounds are good, but they require a couple of extra people to keep an eye on the stuff while you're out there working your corner.

As far as kids not wanting to do there part with marshalling, I've found it's offen times, the local "pro" drivers who are the ones who try to skirt this responsiblity.

As for the "novice" class. An easy way to discourage "sand-bagging" is have the track offer novice racing at half of the entry cost of the regular racing, but offer no rewards (trophies, racer "bucks", etc). This would give new people to the hobby a chance to work on there driving skills, yet offer no incentives to stay in this class once they've gotten better.

As far as letting "novice" racers run in a "spec" class (ie: mini/mirco, F201, gearbox, mabuchi, etc.), that's at the race directior's discretion. These are normally small classes anyways and don't have enough cars to put together more than one heat of racing anyways. The race director should be mindful of this during these races and encourage the slower drivers to move over for the race leaders though.

On the other hand, I see no reason a true "novice" should be allowed to run a mod class. Let them learn about car/radio control first, before letting them run a mod motor class.

My two cents...

Terence

CoBroRa
Old 11-15-2004, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Novice

As a novice myself...I say it can't hurt to be out there on the track racing, especially in classes where the cars aren't ripping around like in mod or 19T. Yesterday, I ran Novice, Gearbox and Mabuchi...2nd in novice, 1st in the Mabuchi "B" (I think I beat a Sportsman Stock guy) and somewhere towards the front in Gearbox with my (offroad height HPI rally).

I'll move up if or when I actually win once at Novice when there's a somewhat full field or I run times that are comparable to the Intermediate field. I can kick the crap out of some 10 year-old with an ill-handling RTR ( ), but I'd still get clowned in Intermediate.

Mabuchi, on the other hand... I think I found a class I can compete in. Just got a 69T spur today...I want some of Hebiki now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.