Wiki Posts
Search

How easy can Nitro actually be?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default How easy can Nitro actually be?

For some reason recently I've had the want to try out Nitro 1/8 Buggy. It maybe that the MX season is slowing down for Xmas. I'm a 1/10 Electric man (off & on-road) and I do have a 8ight-E as well that rarely comes out anymore. I've started thinking of racing the eight round state Nitro series next year and was wonder how easy can running a Nitro be? Will it matter only running the buggy eight times a year?

Thanks
M.E.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by WildManDriving
For some reason recently I've had the want to try out Nitro 1/8 Buggy. It maybe that the MX season is slowing down for Xmas. I'm a 1/10 Electric man (off & on-road) and I do have a 8ight-E as well that rarely comes out anymore. I've started thinking of racing the eight round state Nitro series next year and was wonder how easy can running a Nitro be? Will it matter only running the buggy eight times a year?

Thanks
M.E.
If your already driving electric, than driving a nitro shouldnt be a big problem. Chassis tuning is similar. Your main issue will be engine tuning. The engine tuning guide posted by Houston a while back is the bible. If you follow that and try not to over think it, you would do just fine. I'm not the best engine tuner, but if I just run and not worry too much about the engine, I seem to do just fine. If it isnt screaming on the top, and the bottom has good response, you're usually pretty close. Research the engine forum and you can learn a lot. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+1 Another piece of advice would be to buy a high capacity reciever pack and make sure it's charged and a good set of rubber bands on the engine's throttle setup to return it to idle just in case because runaways suck.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I would imagine that you will be running it more than 8 times a year as you will need a few practice sessions to get the buggy dialed to your liking.
A must buy is After run oil.
If you use it while storing your car your engine will have a bit more of life span.
Always heat your engine up before you start it.(80c)
set your piston at the bottom of the stroke when you have finished running whilst the engine is still warm.
and use after run oil and you will double the engine life compaired to if you didnt take these steps.

Nitro RC is verry intoxicating and quite addictive and im pretty sure you to will catch the nitro bug.
dontget me wrong electric is fun but nitro is just moreso imho..
Old 09-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Tuning an engine is not rocket science. usually its just a small adjustment from break in settings to full out race tune. It all starts with your idle. The bigger PITA is setting your linkages. Nitro linkage for throttle and brake are allot different from Electric. There is a fine line between the perfect linkage settings and having something binding or out of whack. Having your linkages set wrong will cause all kinds of problems and will also lead to multiple blown servo's, and your brakes will never be just right. IMHO opinion, it takes longer to get that part mastered than it does to get your engine tuned right. you really need to take your time and learn it first hand. How to shim your servo's, how to space your servo horn and linkages, to make them straight, not bind, work properly throughout the entire range of motion, setting your end points and brake bias, etc, etc. Master that and Nitro is a piece of cake.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Good point Jaz

I've seen some strange things attatched to the throttle servos....
Old 09-07-2011, 01:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

i got bit by the nitro bug for this summer season. i had tried nitro a couple times in the past being a basher, but never had any fun and gave up on it. getting into nitro racing is a blast, and there will always be someone at the track willing to lend a hand to help you get tuned up and after a while, it becomes second nature to tune the engine. just dive in head first and don't look back, it's a ton of fun.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Thanks for the input. I'll have to have a read of the tuning thread mentioned and good to know about the importance of the go/stop servo setup.
I think I'm sold. A little more research and I'll check the funds to see how soon I can buy buy buy.