Wiki Posts
Search

newb just picked these 2 kits up

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Default newb just picked these 2 kits up

Hey,

new to the forum. never owned an r/c. i have built a few tamiya plastic model kits, ran across these the other day and bought them..cant wait to get started. what radio should i buy to run them?

Tamiya BMW 320si WTCC '06 Team Germany TT-01 Kit 58385
Tamiya 58379 RC AMG Mercedes DTM 2006 - TT01 Vodafone Finished Body

cheerz
Old 09-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Bill Zone
Hey,

new to the forum. never owned an r/c. i have built a few tamiya plastic model kits, ran across these the other day and bought them..cant wait to get started. what radio should i buy to run them?

Tamiya BMW 320si WTCC '06 Team Germany TT-01 Kit 58385
Tamiya 58379 RC AMG Mercedes DTM 2006 - TT01 Vodafone Finished Body

cheerz
Hard to beat this radio for $35
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html

Extra receivers are $7.40
http://www.hobbypartz.com/fs-gtr3c-receiver.html

Several local racers use them and so far, no problems with them...
Old 09-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-01-forum.html

For TT01 info.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I wish I could recommend the FlySky radios but after getting one for a club member and having a really difficult time with it's programming and a few glitches, I won't suggest them again. Better to spend a little more and buy a good quality radio like the Futaba 3PM or Airtronics MX3. These can be found used for around 50-75 bucks ( I know..I bought 2 MX3 Sports from rctech ) or new for under $100. Need help ?? I'll be glad to help you look.
Great starter cars BTW....Tamiya is definitely one of the best and the TT01 will help you get the basics down before you jump to something with higher performance and complexity.
BTW...if you want a great radio and don't mind used....look for a Airtronics M8 with Spektrum 2.4ghz or Airtronics DSSS modules/receiver. I still use it and it'll do more than you'll probably ever need.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Tech Initiate

thx for the info guys! ive been doing some interwebz reading and almost everyone says i should change the prop shaft to the aluminum upgrade, and get better ball bearings..agreed? any other must have upgrades while im putting these things together..

BTW i was only gonna buy the Benz, but i was sold on the LEDs in the BMW so i decided to pick them both up..its only money..sigh
Old 09-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

You can get a new DX3e system for $99 as well, 2.4ghz and a receiver.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM3160
Old 09-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ball Bearings for sure.

Since you picked up two kits then you may wish to consider a radio with model memory and an addition receiver. A good radio is nice to have.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bill Zone
thx for the info guys! ive been doing some interwebz reading and almost everyone says i should change the prop shaft to the aluminum upgrade, and get better ball bearings..agreed? any other must have upgrades while im putting these things together..

BTW i was only gonna buy the Benz, but i was sold on the LEDs in the BMW so i decided to pick them both up..its only money..sigh
Only money...Thats what I keep telling the wife but she just doesn't get it.

Bearings for sure. The plastic prop shaft is a real pain. even with a good sport tuned can motor it will vibrate like crazy. If the budget allows...get the alloy one. If you decide to race it a bit, the adjustable turnbuckles would be a good next buy. If you're just running it around the neighborhood, there's no need though. Good job seeking advice !!!
Old 09-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Tech Initiate

thx for the advice..i have a feeling i will be bit by the r/c bug once i get started with the first model. after doing a little looking around online, its amazing to see the size of the industry..its huge! always been into cars and models (plastic kits), but i have a feeling this is going to be right up my alley..

anyone know if there is any sites that show tracks in Canada, or Vancouver in particular?

thx again!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

You should look at the Canadian threads here. http://www.rctech.net/forum/canadian-r-c-scene-27/
There's one near the top of this forum that lists tracks/clubs.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Tech Initiate

thx!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Tech Initiate

anyone know the tamiya part # for the good ball bearings? prop shaft? and turnbuckles?

cheerz
Old 09-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Initiate

finished the first kit...

waiting on my hopups..i just built it stock.
is it gonna be a pain in the butt to add the driveshaft kit/ball bearings now?
Attached Thumbnails newb just picked these 2 kits up-rc1.jpg  
Old 09-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Do you still need help finding those part numbers? Let us know and we'll chime in.
The bearings are a bit involved but nothing difficult. best to do the driveshaft and bearings all at once. I believe the TT01 bearing kits include the prop shaft bearings so you might as well do everything together. I'm not sure, but it might also have bearings for the steering.
Yes, this means some disassembly but it's no different than building the kit in the first place. Much less involved though because you'll be taking it apart in major sections rather than down to the last nut and bolt. We've all been through it !!
Just so you know, Many racers tear their cars down after every race day just to clean the bearings and check other stuff. Then again..some of us are old and lazy + we're not good enough to worry about the 10ths of a second it might gain us.
NICE JOB ON THE BENZ !!! BTW, you make take some jabs for those long body posts but my suggestion is leave them long. No use starting a body post collection yet. You'll probably go through bodies much faster than body posts.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Initiate

thx for the reply man..found the part #s, just got restless waiting for them to show up in my mailbox, so just built the first kit stock.

as for the body posts, i just didnt cut them because im not totally sure where i want the body to sit until i drive the thing. (gotta wait for payday to buy radio, battery pack, servo). You may have a point to just leave them..

im like you, i dont really care about shaving milliseconds of lap time, for me its more about building the kits for fun..the second kit is going to be more of a challenge because the body isnt finished, it needs to be cut, painted, and decaled.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.