Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What does stock mean at your track

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 02:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BrodieMan
Probably should have mentioned I was referring to carpet Stock class with Spec tires. Too much variation in track conditions on asphalt from race to race for a Spec tire to be used so I agree with your comments in that respect.

I don't see a spec tire being much of a problem for newcomers if the Race Director allows them to use what tires they have and when they need to buy new tires, go with the approved Spec tire.

To make it easier to tech Spec Tires at my club, I'm marking the tires with nail polish but in my case I have access to all the tires before they are sold.
Not everyone likes to feel caged in with tyre choice, some like to experiment to find quicker lap times or how the car handles, too many rules can deter people.

I am not saying that spec tires are a problem, just that by bringing in a spec tire you may not please everyone.

I must say though that being someone who races at a high grip track, I am probably in a minority of looking at a spec tire as something that I would deem nessesary where I race, the fast guys know that for us, a harder tyre is needed, which is good for saving money too!

If I were racing at a low grip track, some kind of consistancy in a spec tire would be of benefit, as a happy medium rather than say, the people with deep pockets buying good tyres frequently, to find the grip.

This is why in a round about way, I say it depends on the place you are racing.

Racing on carpet is a difficult one, tires will affect your laptimes depending on the grip levels available, and typically the grip levels will rise as the racing goes on through the day.

For 13.5 on carpet, I think the sorex 24 or 28 would be a good tyre to look at as a spec tire and will take quite a bit of racing before it is considered off the pace.

I have used the 24 with 27t on carpet with additive and it is a nice tire to use.