Different Carpet Foams

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Different Carpet Foams

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 04:28 PM
Tech Master

yeah a lot of guys at track have run "off brands" but eventually just went back to trc or jacos. Also trcs and jacos are like the only companys with dual compounds witch are nice. i was thinking of giving speed minds a try they are cheap
Old 11-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Paul, I'm sorry you have had a bad experience with our tires. We have made the sedan dish wheel softer to cut down on breakage, yet still be rigid enough for high performance. As far as "chunking in three weeks", tires don't just chunk after a given time. They chunk when you hit something or something hits you. The same with rims. It is inevitable that you hit something or someone runs into you. It is our job to be sure that the tire stays on the rim, the rubber is consistent and works, and the wheel is a good combination of strength and rigidity. Since coming out with our new wheel 1 1/2 years ago, we have won the ROAR nats twice, the Snowbirds, and Cleveland. Our drivers feel our wheel provides them with an advantage. Now, since we have softened it up slightly, it may take a beating a little better too.

RC Old Man- you would be surprised where the foam comes from and who shares rubber. I'm not sure what you mean about TRC and the durometer. Years ago (not now) we supplied TRC with their exotic rubber. It was funny to hear people say "Oh, JACO is way better than TRC" or "My TRC's were a lap quicker than my JACO's". Little did they know it was all the same.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

JACO and Ellegi the same foam.... I'm not quite sure about that. Since Parma uses GRP foam, which is what is on Ellegi tires, TRC tires and others I don't believe it is the same as JACO. The tire density seems different along with the pores of the tires themselves on how they seal up for racing. Josh Cyrul really noticed this when he left Trinity/TRC and switched to JACO and was very impressed with Jack's tires.

Jeff
Old 11-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Losi Will
they won't be...there is a reason why you will never see any of the pros with anything besides jacos and trcs...
Will... check sponsorship before grouping anyone together like that.... It's a different story when someone is giving you tires....
Old 11-09-2004, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

Old Man (heh, I feel like I'm addressing my dad since that's what I call him),

You are almost there. Most foam comes from the same manufacturer and there are a total of 2-3 foam manufacturers that everybody gets their foam (rubber) from worldwide.

As for compounds between nitro and electric there is a slight difference. In nitro there are two completely different types of rubber for front vs. rear. The rear rubber is essentially the same composition and makeup of foam as used in electric tires with one small exception. The exception is the split compounds used for electric front tires. The orange ring on the front of the split compounds is the same as nitro front rubber.

Furthermore, chunking doesn't happen from normal use, it comes from contact. It is either boards, other cars, or your body that are the likely perpetrators.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

also a lot of sponsered guys probaby cant run other tires think about if your sponsered by trinity for motors and stuff you would get the trc tires it would only make sense. maybe the smaller companys cant afford to have sponsered guys running there tires, after all big name racers go through crazy amounts of tires at races like clevland and the snowbirds. but personally i really like dual compounds just my .02
Old 11-09-2004, 06:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

The orange ring is not gas rubber. It is completely different. We give our sponsored drivers about 6-8 sets for a Nats caliber race. No one on our team gets unlimited tires. They will vouch for that.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

So basically, any tire beside JACO, TRC, PARMA, etc. would be different from Ellegi's and nitro shoes because they are different pore size of foam?

Im gonna stick with JACO for a little longer now. Maybe I'll try Parma in the future. My TC4 I have right now is really dialed so I would imagine changing to a differnet company besides the main would affect me.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Jack Rimer
The orange ring is not gas rubber. It is completely different. We give our sponsored drivers about 6-8 sets for a Nats caliber race. No one on our team gets unlimited tires. They will vouch for that.
I can go all season on 6-8 sets.... If I pay my own way to a race, sure I'm going to splurge for new tires.... Come to think about it, I have 8 sets sitting in boxes here on my desk and I plan to not buy any more till the summer....
Old 11-09-2004, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Jack... thanks for the 50 sets of Touring Tires for the club race next week. hehe. Actually, the 4 sets for the Worlds were excellent in 12th scale. Too bad you didn't make it down. Talk with ya later.

Jeff
Old 11-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Since I'm getting ready for the champs, this topic is perfect... I've only ran once on carpet so far this year and I was just curious what compounds people seem to be running in stock class at the big "high traction" races. Is there anything new from Jaco coming out? At the carpet nat's last year BSR had a Pink/Orange front 1/12th tire that seemed to be doing pretty well. I think most ended up running double pink & double pink/orange in sedan. I would hate to place the big order just to find out I don't have the wright stuff (even though it always seems to happen that way... ).

Also, I've heard that glueing the side-walls may also help keep the tires from rolling/deforming on the outer edge during cornering and people using this to help tune. Is there any truth to his?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated Jack...
Old 11-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Tech Initiate

One other question...

Has anyone noticed a problem with switching between the two types of Paragon traction compound? My local track requires the oderless stuff. After using it, can you switch to a wintergreen track and compound with no problems??? I've heard that that may not be the case due to a physical reaction to the pore structure of the foam from using the odor free stuff... Just not sure if it's true or not.

Not that I'm really good enough to tell or anything, but I just don't want any excuses...
Old 11-10-2004, 07:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by kklemmo
One other question...

Has anyone noticed a problem with switching between the two types of Paragon traction compound? My local track requires the oderless stuff. After using it, can you switch to a wintergreen track and compound with no problems??? I've heard that that may not be the case due to a physical reaction to the pore structure of the foam from using the odor free stuff... Just not sure if it's true or not.

Not that I'm really good enough to tell or anything, but I just don't want any excuses...
The Odorless Paragon feels different than the Ground Effects (wintergreen). Car feels ever so slightly squirmy in the corners. But to go from Ground effects to the Odorless is no big deal-nor is it a big deal to go from those to Nifttech. After a couple runs on the new compound-they will be consistent.

Corally Jack-the-Grippa will dry the tires out-or at least thats what it feels like-so its good to scrub in your Jack tires in practice if they have sat for awhile. Especially in 12th scale.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If a tire has been sitting for a while and seems to be hardened
(chunking easily, less grip, ect.) Should it be replace or are there otehr fixes for it? I heard truing it down some helps but just want to be sure. Thanks
Old 11-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Bodido
Why do people always have to post this pointless crap? I think it's pretty obvious to everyone that hitting stuff is bad. Even Masami hits stuff.

Tires do tend to dry rot over long periods of time, especially when they aren't sealed in a bag or something.

Are the tire beads glued to the rim?
The gentleman asked how do you stop tires from chunking. I posted the answer...to stop hitting stuff. Why else would they chunk? Do you have any other suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.