best rc rally car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best rc rally car

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Personally I prefer the Yokomo MR4 Rally which is basically an MR4TC with a converted suspension. All the adjustability of a TC car plus long travel suspension. Rare though. And yes, I have a plethora of rally cars. The Yokomo I think is very similar to the TC3 people mention above.

The DF03 chassis has a limited gearing range. Low rev high torque motors will need gear ratios impossible to achieve with the stock spur cover.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just have to
Modify the motor
Mount to allow different ratios. Though using the slipper clutch would limit things slighty.
Running a 7.5 d3 in mine. Smallest tamiya pinion i could find but i had to turn the posts to the back to fit motor, which required cutting my own mouting slots.
Df03 looks great though. Sealed drivetrain, lots of aftermarket support. Though i might modufy
Mine a little bit. Not much room on chassis for anything.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Tech Adept

My opinion for what it's worth...

Tamiya df03ra: I had one briefly and I didn't like it, limited gearing options, and tendency to shred the gears, but it did handle fairly well.

Yokomo mr4tc/rally: very good car, oceans of suspension travel and covered belts(for the original version) made this a very good rally car, but parts (and especially for the rally version) are getting very hard to come by and maintenance is a major pain!

Tamiya xv-01: A purpose built rally car, drives extremely well,though it doesn't like big jumps due to the front placed motor.
Covered belt not sealed belt keeps the pebbles out, but not the dust.
Since the is a newly released model, parts are not a problem.

Hpi rs4 rally: By all accounts a very capable rally car, despite being an old car, parts are not that difficult to come by.
I have just acquired one for restoration, so I can't personally say how it drives.

Tamiya's ta-01/02 are also very good cars and can be had for very little money.

I would really like to get my hands on a losi xxx-s, looks very good with a wee bit of hacking, but here in Japan, they are pretty much non existent.

My recommendation would be the Tamiya xv-01 followed by either the losi or hpi.

One more thing, any on-road car can be turned into a rally car, just a matter of longer shocks, a bit of suspension work and a cover and voila, a rally car!

What ever you choose, have fun eh!
Old 12-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i converted my ntc3 to an electric rally with some custom bits. worked pretty well all things considered but didnt take long to realize the chassis just cant handle the stresses of offroad life.
the way the shock towers are part of the trans case is even MORE of a problem with it than it was as a nitro touring car, and shereing them off.

however... aluminum chassis is very spacious for all the electric goodies while maintaining quite good left/right weight bias. the shaft drive, just liek the electric tc and df03 is mostly contained, though a spur cover would be nice.
I made one from scratch to use a tc5 dif outdrive set and had a center dif on mine, which worked great but a fluid filled gear dif would be better.

i beat the living piss out of it. most people think rally car, a little dirt, some little jumps and that stuff, i powered it with the same boosted 7.5 system and murdered it on the track lol. worst thing that happened was a turnbuckle would pop off or somthing.

i might come back to that car with some new parts. ie, design it more like a offroad buggy layout and use a mod1 steel spur, though moving the center dif that way would leave very little room for electronics.

all in all, a pretty good chassis to convert. parts are redily available, just need to cover up the gears somehow, or use metal ones. the ntc3 single speed middle shaft might be my route for this in the future, if i can find pinions that will work.
which of course means all the stock center shaft bulkheads are directly compatible, just need a mount for the motor, which id probably steal from a pancar or similar, or tc3/4 motor mount of course.

center dif case

in vehicle