Tyre additive - rubber on carpet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tyre additive - rubber on carpet

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:04 AM
Tech Regular

how strong is the smell of paragon ground fx II?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldrcr
Jack, water based? You sure? I don't think any sauce out there is water based.

Please explain if you know otherwise.

Thanks.
Originally Posted by Mb3195
Had a race meeting yesterday at a venue I usually have to dial out grip using sorex 28 with lrp blue carpet, but had real issues with overall grip, which got worse as the meeting went on.

One of the theories was, as it was an open meeting, the 12th scale boys were using jack the gripper, which was causing the lrp to clash with it as jack being water based and lrp being oil based.

The guys on CS seemed to fair a little better, but it got me thinking, is it worth have more than one, but possibly 3-4 different additives in my pit box?

What are your thoughts on the best additive out there? Based in uk so am limited to the following:
CS all types
Trinity tyre tweak
Muchmore, red, green or blue
Sweep x1, x2 or Z1
Jack the gripper tc2 or tc4

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers guys

Jack is not water based. It is Kerosene based which is purified/distilled oil.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
Jack is not water based. It is Kerosene based which is purified/distilled oil.

I believe I was the one to say "water based" to Johnny. I more meant watery. The more viscous traction compounds such as Tweak and Sweep seem to work the best at our track. Others like Jack, Niftech, Red Dot, Sticky Fingers, Paragon FXII don't seem to work as well, and we've narrowed it down to the fact that the oily-er compounds were used more prominently when our track first opened because they provided more grip on a surface with no to not a lot of traffic, and now that they're soaked into the carpet, nothing else seems to work very well.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default oil and water

Thanks for clearing up the water based question. I just got home and was going to do some basic tests to confirm this. Maybe more people need to run the exotech chassis on their cars to improve traction, this has worked well for me so far.

Just had to plug MikeR@exotech, they have been producing some good chassis and part options for many cars out there and have been outstanding with customer support as well. Nice to see. Thanks.

Good explanation of what you guys figured out Danny. We have been talking about opening up the sauce options a bit at our track, so this info is helpful. With most of the options out there, it is hard to know what people are running, so we are going to open it a bit to see if we can keep it to a few logical choices. We are on a track (latest CRC carpet now) that only gets rolled out on race days, and the colder temps are a factor in the winter as well. 40 degree (F) evenings are not uncommon, so we are struggling to include that effect as well. Any experiences all racers have had are welcome and appreciated. We are all about everybody having an enjoyable racing experience.

And to answer Mb3195, FXII is relatively no odor compared to regular Paragon. No detectable wintergreen at all.

Last edited by oldrcr; 08-09-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks for clearing up the water based question. I just got home and was going to do some basic tests to confirm this. Maybe more people need to run the exotech chassis on their cars to improve traction, this has worked well for me so far.

Just had to plug MikeR@exotech, they have been producing some good chassis and part options for many cars out there and have been outstanding with customer support as well. Nice to see. Thanks.

Good explanation of what you guys figured out Danny. We have been talking about opening up the sauce options a bit at our track, so this info is helpful. With most of the options out there, it is hard to know what people are running, so we are going to open it a bit to see if we can keep it to a few logical choices. We are on a track (latest CRC carpet now) that only gets rolled out on race days, and the colder temps are a factor in the winter as well. 40 degree (F) evenings are not uncommon, so we are struggling to include that effect as well. Any experiences all racers have had are welcome and appreciated. We are all about everybody having an enjoyable racing experience.

And to answer Mb3195, FXII is relatively no odor compared to regular Paragon. No detectable wintergreen at all.
Thanks for the support!

The favorite sauce for our local carpet track is this HERE

When it became difficult to get Jack lots of racers switched to this and never looked back. This is Kerosene based as well. Good stuff on carpet.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If thats your intention for club racing and your going to open up your rules a bit, i'd do a couple of things.
If at all possible don't use any of the heavy oil based products, my reason here is that if your rolling the carpet up, you'll soon find that there is a oil grove soaked all the way thru the carpet, which is going to be ugly to transport.
Our track is semi permanent, but if you pull the carpet back you can see where everyone puts their car down is pretty soaked with a oil residue.

But if you are going to allow the oil based stuff, have a piece of carpet that the guys can do a burnout on to get the excess off their tires, at least you'll cut down on the wicking on the track.

After seeing our track I start to wonder if we are racing on the carpet or the oiled grove thats put down .
Old 08-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

how about mighty gripper v2
Old 08-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

LRP Carpet 2 and Paragon ground effect
Old 08-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Craig W
how about mighty gripper v2
Mighty Gripper is a well kept secret

Odourless and not a heavy compound it offers outstanding grip on foam and rubber
Old 08-11-2011, 01:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

oldrcr

My club uses "Sticky Fingers" (also known as Jack the Gripper in a different bottle) exclusively on new CRC FastTrack. I stock "Sticky Fingers" for everyone to use for free so we don't encounter any "Slime" buildup with various compounds being used. I also keep plenty of towels & a burnout carpet at the "Sauce Station" to keep excess compound off the carpet as we also have to rollup the carpet after each meet. For me, I'd rather buy one bottle of traction compound a month for everyone to use than to possibly ruin fantastic carpet like FastTrack. Traction is great, racers are happy & carpet is clean
Just my $.02
Old 08-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What about Xenon G5000