Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Want to try again, need suggestions >

Want to try again, need suggestions

Want to try again, need suggestions

Old 08-07-2011, 01:36 PM
SDR
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. The guys that I know that run them love them. Hadn't thought about moving the steering to throttle and just upgrading the steering. Savox servos are what I've been using, nice bang for your buck. Also used Spektrum servos with pretty good success too.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JsK
DNFs and DNSs are quickest way to sap any fun racing.
wow, is the 2.0 rtr that bad?
Old 08-07-2011, 02:18 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vw addict
wow, is the 2.0 rtr that bad?
The servos are just plain awfull, the starter box is useable but has nowhere
near the power or reliability of the OFNA box. The s350 is not a bad motor
but the Nova will tune easier and last longer. The stock RTR tires are really
only going to be good for breaking in the motor on pavement while the Mugen
comes with useable PL Crimefighters. And as far as the actual car I dont think
anyone here would argue that the MBX-6 is going to be a far superior car to
a RTR Losi. Now the Team Kit of the 2.0 would be a different story. Honestly
Losi has done a pretty good job putting together a good package in the 2.0
RTR but its designed to fit into a PricePoint not be a competetive or reliable
race rig.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by morkendi
for starters, you can move the steering servo to throttle position. It has a speed of .15 and enouph tourqe for it and just upgrade the stearing. I think savox is best for the money. I have 590 doing throttle on my buggy that's 3 years old and never replaced it. I don't think you can tell a difference in throttle speed, but you do need good tourque numbers to hold the stearing.

Thats great advice I actually did exactly this with my 8T.2 I got a Savox
and put the stock losi/jr steering servo on my throttle now I have savox at both ends even though there was nothing wrong with the JR I just like to have the extra speed of the Savox..
Old 08-08-2011, 04:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JsK
not be a competetive or reliable
race rig.
You really don't think i can be at all competitive with the 810 or 2.0 rtr? Why do you say this? I understand the servo part, but it's not a competetive or reliable chassy platform?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey VW.... I think maybe you can get some insight to your problem from my experience. I have owned 6 buggies over my 10 years in rc and I recently got back into off road nitro. I (re)started with the 810 and I have to tell you it is really the best value out there. Is it a racer out of the box, hell no, but with a good setup you will be fine with it. I placed 2nd in an amain at my local track with an 810 racing agama's and losi kits. Can it win, yes, however you have to consider that I was running spektrum high voltage servo's throttle and brake and yes to me the throttle response was way better with an upgraded servo. Another thing to keep in mind is the tank size..... 82cc vs. a standard buggy at 125. It is an easy fix to buy the 125 from the losi eight 2.0 and drill out the bottom chassis to fit it. The diffs in the 810 come with grease, change to 5-7-3 and you'll get way better traction and life. The biggest question anyone has yet to ask you is, what is your track like?? What's the size and what obstacles are you facing? On a short tight track with med grip and relatively easy jumps and little to no rivits the 810 will kick butt. It's lighter and nimbler than it's bigger brothers and will be perfect. if you run on a wide open sweeping corners and or rivits and tough jumps to clear, then not so much. O and good shock oil for the 810 is 37.5f and 25R fyi. *The 810 can only take a small block* so your options for engines are slim, TRX3.3, the same motor it comes with, or a dynamite, and an O.S. 18, I think that's it!

On a side note think of the things that you have to change out with the losi 8 2.0 rtr and compare. both are going to take a decent amount of work to kick arse as you said but both will give you tons of fun. As for my current situation I sold the 810 to someone as a roller for 100$ and am now running a JQ the car and I will tell you this I should have started that way. It cost me a crap load of money to get the 810 up to race standards and now decided I'm going all in with a jq. If you feel like you might get caught by the bug again, start with a kit that way you don't ever have to look for a 'better' car just make the one you bought the best it can be. side note JQ is the least expensive kit 360 on absolutehobbyz if you wanna check it out and you will kick arse hehe