Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Whats the best way to get stripped clutch bell hex screw out? >

Whats the best way to get stripped clutch bell hex screw out?

Whats the best way to get stripped clutch bell hex screw out?

Old 08-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Whats the best way to get stripped clutch bell hex screw out?

I'm a idiot I stripped the screw on my Losi clutch bell and jx.21 , so know I can't change shoes or bells. Whats the best way to get this stripped hex head clutch bell screw out? I should have bought better hex drivers I guess! Thanks for any help with my screw-up!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Use a dremel cut off wheel and notch it like a fla head and use a flat head to get it off. Happens alot on all screws.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Originally Posted by savannahmick
I'm a idiot I stripped the screw on my Losi clutch bell and jx.21 , so know I can't change shoes or bells. Whats the best way to get this stripped hex head clutch bell screw out? I should have bought better hex drivers I guess! Thanks for any help with my screw-up!
Id use a dremal with and cut disk and grind a slot in the head and use a flat tip screwdriver to remove the screw.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
Use a dremel cut off wheel and notch it like a fla head and use a flat head to get it off. Happens alot on all screws.
Lol you beat me to it
Old 08-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If the screw stripped obviously the screw is being held on their tight, give it some heat with a heat gun and then open it up, or you may risk of snapping the head after you notched it.

I would personally use a strip screw powder which you can find at ace hardware put some in there and see if it helps first make sure your tool tip is in good condition.

If that fails then resort to your notching.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shesha
I would personally use a strip screw powder which you can find at ace hardware put some in there and see if it helps
While your there pick up a left handed hex driver and some black and white striped paint.

Really?? Strip screw powder??? Never heard of it. How does it work? I cant see how sprinkling some powder on the outside of a screw will help, or is it like a pressure sensitive glue that helps the hex grip the inside of the screw head?

I've always used the dremel to slot the head and as long as you keep the groove neat and as thin and straight as possible you shouldn't have a problem. The beauty of a clutch bell screw is it sits proud of the surface so you can get a nice groove without damaging anything else. Countersunk head screws and grub screws are the worst.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nogas
Really?? Strip screw powder??? Never heard of it. How does it work? I cant see how sprinkling some powder on the outside of a screw will help, or is it like a pressure sensitive glue that helps the hex grip the inside of the screw head?
i use the dremel method but my mechanic friend uses the the "strip screw powder". lol it's valve grinding compound and it does work. he puts it on the tool if it's a loose fit. never seen it used on an already stripped screw.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

http://lifehacker.com/5462520/remove...-a-rubber-band
Old 08-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Tech Addict

personally i replace the the screw every 2-4 clutch bell bearing changes saves it getting stripped.
but as everyone else has said use a dremel.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

interesting, does it work?? I've heard of guys using aluminum foil the same way.

I also use a dremmel, with a diamond dust cutting disk, and slot it, apply heat, and remove with a flathead screwdriver.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Buy this best tool this should be in ever tool box saved my ass many many times best one was a clutch screws broke in the crank shaft with the blue stuff BAM no issues. WORKS REALLY GOOD

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2&blockType=G2
Old 08-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

[QUOTE=NitroFreakManHo; I also use a dremmel, with a diamond dust cutting disk, and slot it, apply heat, and remove with a flathead screwdriver.[/QUOTE]

+1 I had to do this more than I care to remember but it works.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo
interesting, does it work?? I've heard of guys using aluminum foil the same way.

I also use a dremmel, with a diamond dust cutting disk, and slot it, apply heat, and remove with a flathead screwdriver.
I did it one time with a chassis screw and it worked!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This happen to me yesterday, with no dremel at hand. I had to use one of those small, fine files and filed away. I just made a single line cut on the head of the screw, enough for my flat blade to have a good grip. Took me awhile... wish i had a dremel though
Old 08-03-2011, 03:27 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I too have used the dremel and screwdriver to remove bad screws.

About a year ago I switched screws and am using a slightly longer threaded Kyosho screw from my RT5 kit. Much better quality wrench tip hole. I also do not use any loctite on this screw. No problems on it coming loose or getting it out when I want.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.