Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Sakura XI

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 02:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Stu NZ
Sounds like the XI DH is a good car, is anyone running 48 pitch gears with this model, would I be right in thinking that a 8 hole spur gear is gonna fit OK?

Is the chassis noticably flexible? and suitable for asphalt low grip?

Wishing you fun, Stu
Most std spur gear fit, you need spurs with two rows of 8 holes.

I think it is a great kit, 3weeks ago I race on high grip asphalt and felt I had a bit (like 5%) to much grip. but must tell you could still put in some great lap times. I have ordered the XI std upper deck think this will be a quick and easy way to stiffen the chassis slightly. We only really have one track that has very high grip, futher I would not worry about it.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by wollow86
Depending on your current setup there's a few things that worked for me. Are you using the DH or stock version? The DH will add some high speed steering. For the rear to lock it down I used 3deg rear toe. I also removed a shim from the inner link, and run the shortest rear arm setting. With the DH I've been running 2deg rear toe, and now I also run an oild diff in the front with 300000wt. I'm going to try adding the rear shim (1mm) back in to add back a little more rear grip with the 2deg rear.

What's your current setup?
This is some good info given, I am also using gear diff upfront but with 500 000wt oil in mod but also track dependant. Something you can try to cure on power over steer and high speed under steer is to add some front droop. Also reduce acerman for the sweeper. Hope this helps
Old 07-26-2012, 07:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charl mac
Something els I have been bussy with is the o-ring in the gear diff, the anti-wear grease just is not right, it stiffens the diff up way to much( even if you leave the oil out). I have used a 4.5x1.5x7mm or-ring that I put on my Dremel and sand down the out dia. some it works much better but to get consistancy is not easy, I think a Silicone o-ring would work just fin but can't find any. The std o-ring goes way to stiff over the ourdrive and very quickly turns inside the diff housing and leak. Silicone is nice and soft and slippery. Any Help pls.

Think this is a great car and I am also the importer of this product Really Cool.
Diff? Been using Associated green slime lube on diff o-rings and using 2 shims on both the output shafts. I did trial and error for about an hour before figuring that 2 shims were the ticket. Make sure that there are no plastic burrs on any running surfaces. It's best to lap plastic mating sufaces with wet/dry ~500 grit using H2O. It seemed to take a couple runs to break in and become free running. No leaks so far.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Default DH build

First Sakura for me. I have a X-ray T3R, Serpent S411 TE and an Associated 6.1. I'm really digging the flexy engineering because our track is slickery. Flexy chassis/top plate and split hinge pin blocks is why I was interested in the DH and of course the color pink for saving the "Ta Tas".

Here are some points for consideration:

There is nothing to secure the pullies on the spur gear shaft. They are just pressed onto the hub and will find there way outwards to rub on the aluminum bulkheads. Other manufacturers use E clips to secure the pullies. I don't understand how this was overlooked being this problem exists on previous models. I used a couple small drops of ca to secure the pullies to the hub for now.

Shimming for side play of the spur gear shaft is no easy task. There is a new V2 motor mount that will allowing shimming a much easier task because it has separate bearing shaft holders.

The kit gearing is good for mod but taller gearing for stock or blinky class requires some additions. Using the included 85T 48P pinion and the vertical motor mount the largest pinion is somewhere in the 28T range. That puts the the tallest FDR around 6.0. A much smaller spur is required or the V2 motor mount assembly.

Shorter shocks that require a different spring length than most other popular sedans.

Very narrow front and rear tracks. Axles stick out way past the wheels. Much thicker wheel hex drives needed. Maybe 5 or 6mm not the 4mm supplied. You can shim the wheels out or cut the axles. Axles sticking out are problematic when rubbing track boards. It does allow for track width tuning. I don't shim wheels for mod, have had wheel hexes round off.

Front and rear bearing caps. Talking about inboard camber link ball ajustability. A flat head screw comes up from the bottom side of the cap. The screw rides in a slot and is held in position with a small plate on top of the bearing cap. There is no way to hold the flat head screw without removing the bearing cap. I understand that this gives finer adjustments. Just use a hex head screw captive in a slot so disassembly of the entire cap is not needed to make adjustments. Might be nit picking but I like to play with the adjustments. All other popular sedans are easy to adjust camber rod lengths and angles.

Will the Zero threaded bearing caps/bulkhead covers fit the DH???????

Just my early observations. Helpful comments welcome.

Last edited by rcwck; 07-26-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've never had the lay shaft pully's move... In fact I replaced them a few months ago and they were super hard to get off.

The zero bulkhead covers won't fit, they are the same width and same is length, the holes are about 1.5mm further apart.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:21 AM
Tech Regular

I've never had the lay shaft pully's move... In fact I replaced them a few months ago and they were super hard to get off.

The zero bulkhead covers won't fit, they are the same width and same is length, the holes are about 1.5mm further apart.
The pulley thing might depend on motor power level and track size. I'm running a 3.5T on a large outdoor track. They come loose every run.

Thanks for the bulkhead update. I almost wasted $$ and ordered them.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:40 AM
Tech Addict

Ahh fair enough. I've only ever run boosted 17.5.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Depending on your current setup there's a few things that worked for me. Are you using the DH or stock version? The DH will add some high speed steering. For the rear to lock it down I used 3deg rear toe. I also removed a shim from the inner link, and run the shortest rear arm setting. With the DH I've been running 2deg rear toe, and now I also run an oild diff in the front with 300000wt. I'm going to try adding the rear shim (1mm) back in to add back a little more rear grip with the 2deg rear.

I'm running a DH
It has pretty much standard setup on it
3deg rear toe
.5 front out
2deg camber all round
The main problem I'm having now is the rear end will randomly step out on a quick direction change. Any ideas ?
Other than that I'm super impressed with the car highly recommend it
Ps the track I'm running is quite tight with a few bumps

Thanks
Old 07-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm running a DH
3deg rear toe
.5 front out
2deg camber all round
Plus 4 shock towers and tamiya trf shocks 2.6 front and 2.4 rear springs
The main problem I'm having now is the rear end will randomly step out on a quick direction change. Any ideas ?

Thanks
Old 07-28-2012, 12:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Groomie
I'm running a DH

Thanks
just in case, are you sure you have installed the Universal Shaft Cushion on the rear diff?
Old 07-28-2012, 05:19 AM
Tech Regular

I'm running a DH
3deg rear toe
.5 front out
2deg camber all round

Thanks
I think you're talking about a lack of rear traction. I too have been fighting this lack of grip. First and most important are the tires. There's no adjustment to cure rear traction problems if your rear tires won't bite. Tire dope is also important.
Increase ground clearance, run inboard lower suspension roll pins as low as possible. Soften the rear. Stiffen the front. On the rear use short camber links and angle them upwards to the wheel hubs. This increases camber as the chassis rolls. Try more rear camber and less front. Use a high rear downforce body and move the wing back. Stiff bar upfront and soft or no rear bar. Harder front tires. Softer rear tires. Decrease front toe out. More expo on the steering.

Some might say do the opposite. I have seen it happen on other forums.

There are lotsa variables. Track, weather and driving styles are just a few.

It boils down to trial and error. What works for me might not for you.

Lots to try, good luck
Old 07-28-2012, 06:08 AM
Tech Addict

I'm running a DH
3deg rear toe
.5 front out
2deg camber all round

Thanks
What oil weight and piston holes are you running? My track is bumpy as well and I've found a lighter oil (30wt for me right now) and 3 hole pistons to be the go.

Mine can do that too, so I need to still fiddle around. On my current setup my car is the fastest its ever been, but there's 2 corners I still havent gotten right. One is a double left hander, on power. I cant surprise the car at all or it will step out (but not spin). The other is a sweeper we take at full speed. With my current setup the amount of steering I have can sometimes cause it to spin through it. But thats pretty rare.

I've only had a limited number of runs in its DH spec, and to add to that I also have changed to TRF shocks instead of the shorter 3Racing (although I had hybrid mini shocks on there) and with a hpi spring kit. So im still testing.

I also don't run any sway bars. I've found them to be a final touch type setup, and to get the car working without them first.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Tech Addict

New XI ver2 motor mount arrived for me today, so much more room for pinions.

The largest I could fit (no modifications) on the kit motor mount was 60/37. The photo has 60/38 installed. I have bigger pinions on the way, but you can see how much more room there will be.

Only limitation will be the motor mount root, but a dremel will fix that if you need that big...
Old 08-09-2012, 04:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Stu NZ
Sounds like the XI DH is a good car, is anyone running 48 pitch gears with this model, would I be right in thinking that a 8 hole spur gear is gonna fit OK?

Is the chassis noticably flexible? and suitable for asphalt low grip?

Wishing you fun, Stu
Robinson Super Machined 48P spurs fit for sure. It's available in a 85 tooth same as stock XI which is good for mod. HPI, Associated and others do not fit. The 8 hole bolt circle diameter for most is too small.

I'm racing on a large medium grip non prepped asphalt track. My Serpent S411TE is still a few tenths faster than my XI DH. I have copied the Serpent set up as close as possible for the Sakura but still a bit slower. Seems lacking corner speed.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:01 AM
Tech Regular

New XI ver2 motor mount arrived for me today, so much more room for pinions.

The largest I could fit (no modifications) on the kit motor mount was 60/37. The photo has 60/38 installed. I have bigger pinions on the way, but you can see how much more room there will be.

Only limitation will be the motor mount root, but a dremel will fix that if you need that big...
That spur gear shaft holder is a way better design too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.