Wiki Posts
Search

Novak SS5800 - P-94 - Krypton

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 12:39 PM
Tech Adept

Default Novak SS5800 - P-94 - Krypton

I have two Losi XXX-T MF.
One is for playing around, practising and such and the other one is for racing.
In the race car I have Reedy Krypton 12x1,
And in the other I have Trinity P-94 15x2.
I have thought about putting Novak SS5800 Brushless motor system into the playcar.
The problem is that I have never seen a car with Brushless system, I do not have a clue what to expect ?

1. Will the Brushless have longer runtime than the other motors I have ?
2. How is the torque compared to the others i have ?
3. How is the acceration compared to the others I have ?
4. What maintainance will it need ?
5. Does the Brushless have a good powerband or does it have high or low spots in it ? Is it easy to drive ?

Questions, questions.

Plz comment.

Last edited by Snikkari; 10-26-2004 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:02 PM
me8
Tech Initiate

1. yes
2. I do not know
3. I do not know
4. brush dirt and dust off
5. smoth
Old 10-25-2004, 08:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Brushless has a TON of torque. Top end is about like a 15t but the trip there is more likew a 9t. I read a magazine test that claimed the 5800 was way slower then a 10t in terms of acceleration, having run both I just can't figure out they came to that conclusion. For 2wd buggy most guys who run the 5800 set their radios throttle expo at 60 to 75% to "soften" the torque curve. Problem with brushless is it doesn't have that many rpm's and you can't gear higher or you will have thermal shutdown. The speed control is the weakness because the torque to gear way up is there.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

1. Runtime will be longer. I can get about 10 minutes with my SS5800 in my T3 on a dirt track with 3300's.

2. The very low end torque of the novak is more than just about any brushed motor I have run. The mid to high rpm torque seems to be a little soft.

3. I would say that the accleration is close to a 12 turn double, just my opinion.

4. Just keep the motor clean and once in a while you will have to oil the bearings.

5. I have found the novak to be very easy to drive. Seems to have a lot of torque in the very low ranges as I said above. Smooth off of the line.

From my testing I have found the novak to be a descent brushless motor. It doesn't have killer power like a Lehner or Hacker, but it is generally smoother off of the line due to its sensored design. The Schulze U-Force 75 and a Lehner basic 4200 is almost comparable to the smoothness off of the line with a ton more power through the whole range. I think you will find the novak to be faster than your 15 turn and very similiar to your 12x2.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:15 AM
Tech Regular

yeah bro , ya wont go wrong with the ss 5800, as they said tons of torque, but top end is limited, really good for tight tracks where punch is the order of the day. maintinence, pretty much nil.
Be really good for practice, thats how i use mine, long run times, fast , no maintinence, and reliable. i've never had a thermal or any problems, fully recomend, especially for the applications you propose.
good luck mate
wolf