Search

RDLogics Mongoose

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 12:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
Guys,

I had a friend make his racing debut with the Mongoose today an i think he is struggling with the clutch similar to the orginal G4 centax with it slipping.... Is it possible to install the Kyosho 3D clutch from the V1RRR? I also noticed the 2 speed is very sensitive to just the minor imput, we have been unable to locate a sweet spot with it yet and end up going backwards for the final which was disappointing

BB
Hey Bundy, I have been using the stock Mongoose clutch for ages now and haven't had a problem once I worked out how to get it right. Do the following things and it will be sorted without any additional expense.

1: On the clutch pad, ream the holes in the pad to be just a fraction larger so it slides freely on the posts of the flywheel. Don't go overboard, just enough to free it up (I used a body reamer from both sides as if I was deburring it and it worked well).

2: Run some very fine grade wet and dry sandpaper along the edge of the flywheel where the flyweights travel. Again, just enough to lightly radius the sharp edge that exists from manufacture. This will stop the flyweights from hanging up on the lip which is what causes the clutch to seem like it is always engaged and therefore the car stalls when you hit the brakes or spin out.

3: Use a dremel with a sanding drum and make sure the back face of the flyweights are not damaged or gouged from the sharp edge of the flywheel.

4: If you want to keep using the red clutch spring, then remove the brass weights from the flyweights. This seems to allow the red spring to work ok. You will want to go to a harder spring once you realise how well hooked up the car is and you can punch it harder off the turns.

Do these things and the clutch will be sweet.

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Z00M
Hey Bundy, I have been using the stock Mongoose clutch for ages now and haven't had a problem once I worked out how to get it right. Do the following things and it will be sorted without any additional expense.

1: On the clutch pad, ream the holes in the pad to be just a fraction larger so it slides freely on the posts of the flywheel. Don't go overboard, just enough to free it up (I used a body reamer from both sides as if I was deburring it and it worked well).

2: Run some very fine grade wet and dry sandpaper along the edge of the flywheel where the flyweights travel. Again, just enough to lightly radius the sharp edge that exists from manufacture. This will stop the flyweights from hanging up on the lip which is what causes the clutch to seem like it is always engaged and therefore the car stalls when you hit the brakes or spin out.

3: Use a dremel with a sanding drum and make sure the back face of the flyweights are not damaged or gouged from the sharp edge of the flywheel.

4: If you want to keep using the red clutch spring, then remove the brass weights from the flyweights. This seems to allow the red spring to work ok. You will want to go to a harder spring once you realise how well hooked up the car is and you can punch it harder off the turns.

Do these things and the clutch will be sweet.

Cheers,

Mike.
Mike...

Thank you i will pass the following on

On further investigation it appears most of the problem was coming from a badly tuned engine an a problem with a screw sticking out a little too far in the 2 speed to cut a groove in the gear

At least we will be able to try an improve from here. On a positive the new race pads an racing disc seem to have fixed all the brake fade issues. Also the springs with the new pads help to keep the pads away from the disc creating a nice free car

BB
Old 07-18-2005, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hehehehe ... my wife was looking this thread this morning with me and she was laughing a lot with your answers after my post of her work with the body shells ...

Im attaching here her FIRST ever Job ... (my doughter, 5 years old, is asking me to learn about RC cause she always is with me while im working on my cars, and now my wife have the bug of painting bodies hehehehe im in heaven !!) ... the only problem with my doughter is that she is going to the track with me always when i practice but she is starting to get pissed off cause i dotn run with a pink body with Barbie pictures/adhesives on it !!! lol !!

Old 07-18-2005, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

cute kid...the only Improvement would be if she was holding an r40..
Old 07-18-2005, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Fastharry, i think that by the end of the year i will buy a R40, so i will re-post this picture by January 2006 ok ? hehehehe ....
Old 07-18-2005, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Fastharry, i think that by the end of the year i will buy a R40, so i will re-post this picture by January 2006 ok ? hehehehe ....
you're the man!!......
Old 07-18-2005, 08:16 AM
Tech Adept

hi motorman,
i have see your last setup.
why did you make the front wide 195 mm, i found it is very small
dieter
Old 07-18-2005, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

by then she will be strong enough to pick it up off the table. LOL
Old 07-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

??????
Old 07-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

R40's ain't exactly light.

dieter narrow the front and remove the rear bar the car will steer like crazy and stay hooked up in the rear.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:21 PM
wad
Tech Elite

Looks like by the end of the year you will be a good pitman, pitting for your wife and your daughter
Old 07-18-2005, 05:22 PM
wad
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Motorman
by then she will be strong enough to pick it up off the table. LOL
Old 07-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Well ...

I will give her first car for this christmas, so if you have any idea i will apreciate it ... i was thinking on some electric ... maybe an HPI Sprint or something like that ...

WAD, are you living in Argentina ?, will you run the southamerican championship in Rosario ?
Old 07-18-2005, 08:31 PM
wad
Tech Elite

Well ...

I will give her first car for this christmas, so if you have any idea i will apreciate it ... i was thinking on some electric ... maybe an HPI Sprint or something like that ...

WAD, are you living in Argentina ?, will you run the southamerican championship in Rosario ?
Get a car for her before she starts using yours, because I'm sure that she will like it and wouldn't give you it back
I'm from Argentina, but I live in South California, a lot of fun here and also good racing
Old 07-19-2005, 05:21 AM
Tech Regular

Get her a Tamiya mini, tough, easy to drive, and if the TCS series ever comes there she can race it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.