Wiki Posts
Search

Ta04r...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally posted by KINGZJ
Mike I wouldn't worry about the towers to much. Yes they can shift but I doubt it would become a big problem. The chassis flexes much more than the towers can move.

Yes a lighter body is better but I am not sure if it really makes that much difference. In gt3 the person that can do the voodoo on the silver cans the best will be the winner and in gt2 I don't see it making much difference along with gt1.

Will find out in a couple of days Sunday is tcs day!!!
yes the chassis flexes more than the possible movement of the shocktower, but you gotta remember, the chassis flexes back...

if the carbon shock tower pops during a race, it's not gonna pop back until you get arround to fixing it. that's why i run the plastic towers.

peter
Old 02-21-2003, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

I don't know about the modena body. Last year I took 2 seconds at the 2 largest tcs races with the altezza body and this year in testing the corvette body is the fastest. I like the vette becasue it works well for gt1 and 2 it allows me to run the same setup for both classes and use the same car. I also like the carbon towers allot I use them to change roll center that is the biggest thing I change from track to track to dial the car in but I do see how they can shift.
the carbon shock towers have the same number of possible camber link positions as the plastic towers...

and i simply said that the modena body is the best because when running TCS there is no weight limmit, and when i was running, it was the only body offered in lightweight form.

it aslo has the best downforce of all tamiya bodies (as tested in the February 2003 issue of R/C World Magazine)

it has 5g of front downforce, and 101g of rear downforce...

the altezza was not listed because it had to much drag.

peter
Old 02-21-2003, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: body of choice

Originally posted by madjack
Well, here is my .O2

I agree with Peter that the Modena is a great choice...but not the only choice any more. At the recent Tamiya 4hr Enduro 8 of the 10 A main entrants were running the Modena, the TQ however was running the new NSX body.

I have seen a number of people running it (NSX) at TA with good success. Rumor has it it is now the sedan body of choice in Japan. Dan & Peter might be able to verify this...ya lucky dogs, way to represent guys!

As for the vette and alteza. The bodies work OK, but are too heavy compared to the Modena in lightweight trim. Every once counts in GT2 & GT3

yeah, I have the NSX order for the GT1 class, but will probably go with the LW Modena in GT3.

Hope this helps

John
i can't say what the body of choice is over there right now...but when i was at the worlds, there were alot of people running the NSX, both new and old style.

but i wouldn't use that race to judge wether or not the body is good, because that race is run on carpet, with no traction additives allowed. Joven Madriaga from the US team used a Corvette almost all of the way through qualifying, and the japanese were amazed to see that that body was working, because they almost never use the corvette over there.

peter
Old 02-21-2003, 08:33 AM
Tech Regular

last year I ran the R34 for TCS, it's kinda beat up now so I was thinking of running The CLK DTM I won in a raffle last year, any thoughts from the experts on this body?
Old 02-21-2003, 09:03 AM
Regional Moderator

Will find out in a couple of days Sunday is tcs day!!!
good luck, and let us know how you do.

lots of good information on the bodies, keep it coming. Every little gram does count
Old 02-21-2003, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Peter!
How's it going Mr. national champ?
I agree with Peter. On my previous TA04-R, the carbon shock towers had a nasty habbit of shifting causing a suspension tweak. I used countersunk screws to fix this. The TCS officials didn't mind or notice this.
On my new Ta04-R, I stuck with the plastic towers. I also weighed them. They weigh no more than the carbon ones. The plastic front weighs less and the plastic rear weighs more, they average to be about the same.

Since everyone is talking about bodies, here's my opinion, and I've tried them all.

360 lightweight Modena - very well balanced with decent turn in. Very prone to getting tucked under both rear and on the sides. Also very fragile.

R34 Skyline - Similar to Ferrari but with slightly less steering. Very stable.

Altezza - TONS of turn in. Great for outdoor tracks but not as good for Tamiya's Aliso Viejo track. I've used this body in So-Cal pro-mod with good success. The twitchy nature of this body makes it hard to carve the Tamiya curves smoothly. This body is also really wide - like 200mm. It's tall, but you won't notice the drag.

DTM Mercedes - pushes like a dump truck.

New NSX - haven't tried this one yet, but EJ set the fastest laps with this body at TCS Hayward. Looks like a ton of steering.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default TA04-TRF

Anybody's thought's on the up coming TA04-TRF?
Close-up spy pictures? Anyone?
Old 02-21-2003, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Arrow

Izzyracer...

So, when is "our" shipment coming in... =) Can't wait to get my hands on this car, I just hope the tub works though... or we're screwed up... LOL
Old 02-21-2003, 10:16 AM
Regional Moderator

There's some pictures on the Settings 04R thread of the TRF version.

So linger, your using the graphite towers, based on the comment you made about using counter sunk screws to fix the problem. Using the counter sunk screws would make the car illegal in GT2 and GT3?

My line of thinking on the graphite towers is toughness. The graphite towers should hold up better then the plastic ones
Old 02-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally posted by eeyan
Izzyracer...

So, when is "our" shipment coming in... =) Can't wait to get my hands on this car, I just hope the tub works though... or we're screwed up... LOL
eeyan,

It say's newly develop suspension blocks...yikes!

From Tamiya
High performance TA04-R chassis' capabilities have been further improved. The chassis has been lightened thanks to various option parts such as the newly designed front one-way unit, a rear differential joint and swing shaft. To achieve top performance, TRF dampers (fluorine coated), newly developed suspension block and front stabilizers have been mounted.

It might be a gamble to use it for GT2!
Old 02-21-2003, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Mike F

So linger, your using the graphite towers, based on the comment you made about using counter sunk screws to fix the problem. Using the counter sunk screws would make the car illegal in GT2 and GT3?

My line of thinking on the graphite towers is toughness. The graphite towers should hold up better then the plastic ones
to tell you the truth mike, there is really no problem with durability of the plastic towers, but here is my ultimate solution to your delema... get both, and figure out what you personally like better.

linger- i'm assuming this is ling kang tong..? if it is, it's going great. you should send me an email and let me know whats up!
Old 02-21-2003, 10:36 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by peter_robinson
[B]to tell you the truth mike, there is really no problem with durability of the plastic towers, but here is my ultimate solution to your delema... get both, and figure out what you personally like better.
That's basically what I'm going to do.

Are you running both one ways?
Old 02-21-2003, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Mike F

I used the graphite towers last year with the countersunk screws last year at TCS. They were tamiya countersunk screws, and nobody complained. If you must use the screws that came with the towers, I suggest filling the graphite tower shock holes with CA to decrease the diameter.

I've never seen a TA04 shock tower break. I think the bulkheads would bend way before the tower would snap. I have seen 414 shock towers break though.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: TA04-TRF

Originally posted by izzyracer
Anybody's thought's on the up coming TA04-TRF?
Close-up spy pictures? Anyone?
I'm curious how Tamiya is gonna price that one. As it is, there isn't much of a price gap between a 414M2 (265 at speedtech) and a TA04-R (210 at speedtech). If they price it more than an 04-R, then it will be really close in pricing to a 414.

I wonder if the newly developed suspension blocks will fit a tub chassis 04-R....do I need new bulkheads too?? since the current suspension block lock into the current bulkheads?
Old 02-21-2003, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thats a great solution Ling

If you are not countersinking the graphite then the screw would be OK

I countersunk the graphite on the EVO to eliminate that problem

D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.