Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ta04r...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2001, 10:05 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i had that kinda problem when with my tamiya cars, i think getting the once from RMP should keep the ball joints where they belong!
Old 09-23-2001, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Your Ball cups are probably worn, and the diff problem sounds like a a faulty bearing, maybe the thrust bearing possibly....
Old 09-23-2001, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

I never have the ball joint poped on itself when hit. It never happen to any of my Tamiya cars.

Just wondering: when you build your car did you use a piler to tighten the ball joints and leave like those piler teeth mark on the ball joints? if so that might be the problem.... i'm so sure though... it's either you damage the ball joints when building or maybe you just got bad ball joints out of the box.
Old 09-23-2001, 11:34 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

TRF: yaya...i used to use piler to disconnect the ball joints, and it pops out really easily...i still use pilers, but im like 10 times more careful
Old 09-23-2001, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

I don't pop the ball joint directly. What I do is try to spin around the ball joint a little when poping the connector. It's easier that way and it doesn't leave you the uneven wear of the connector where some places might be worn out faster than others and causing it to become loose.
Old 09-23-2001, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

There are a few parts I have found to be "consumables", here is a short list and how I determine that they need replaced:

Ballcups- whenever they seem to "pop-off" too easily during disassembly, usually well before they will ever pop-off in a wreck.

Hinge pins- always check after each day of racing, or in between heats if you have a hard collision. Roll on a smooth flat surface, if you I see any wobble no matter how little they get bent in half and trashed.

turnbuckles- as soon as any sign of tweek is detected

diffballs- during every rebuild I replace all and throw the old ones away, if carbide I will replace every 3 rebuilds or whenever I cannot get the diffs to rebuild smooth.

body posts- if I replace the body because it is too damaged to run the posts it resided upon get the can too.

front bumper- after the first sign of tweak.

That's all I can think of now, but I am sure there are others. I also some of these may be extreme, but I have never been sidelined due to any minor parts failure, and it has been 7-8 years since I have had a ballcup pop in the middle of a race, now have one split in half that is another story...LOL
Old 09-23-2001, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Ball Joints popping off...

Tamiya ball cups are standard on all of 04 series. They do wear out specially if you pop them in and out often. Try using captured ball. But they may cause you more damage than using ordinary cups if you hit frequently and hard.

Originally posted by Alvin
04r drivers, do you notice this: the joint held by the ball connectors (e.g. Camber links, toe, steering, etc.etc.) have a tendency to pop-out even with slight knocks! Any ideas how to keep 'em in?

Also today my front ball diff kept on tightening itself. I rebuilt it, and put locktite on it. Doesn't seem to help, but gimme tommorrow evening to strip thje whole car down to find out what's wrong.

Alvin

Last edited by stik; 09-23-2001 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2001, 02:42 AM
Tech Master

thanks for the tips dudes.

Stick, is a "captured ball joint" a joint where u need to push a metal ball into the joint, and the ball has a hole to be screwed into the bulkheads?

Yesterday's race was too slippery and my 04 slammed into the guard rail from the side, bugger joint popped out.

I believe it is worn: reason: it is the joint where I frequently remove to adjust my rear ball diff.

Thanks again!

~Alvin
Old 09-24-2001, 03:10 AM
Tech Regular

...yup, that's the one.

Originally posted by Alvin
thanks for the tips dudes.

Stick, is a "captured ball joint" a joint where u need to push a metal ball into the joint, and the ball has a hole to be screwed into the bulkheads?

~Alvin
Old 09-24-2001, 04:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

or you instead of using ball connectors, you could use set screws. so basically you don't pop your shocks or steering linkages back in, you screw them in. the only problem is if you crash hard enough, the set screw will probably stay on and the shocks plastic ends or steering pivots could be ripped. they are plastic, after all. hope this helps
Old 09-24-2001, 04:29 AM
Tech Master

Default Tamiya Anti Wear Grease

Dudes,
Forgot all about the anti wear grease which comes wit hthe kit. Do you think placing some of these on the ball joints will aid in less wear and tear ilf I need to pop them?
Old 09-24-2001, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

I don't think so, any type of lubrication on ball joints would be undesirable, and make them pop faster.
Old 09-24-2001, 08:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default TA04 for sale!

I have mine TA04 for sale!

Anyone interested?
Old 09-25-2001, 12:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

do not put any type of grease on the ball connectors. IMPCTPLAYER is right when he says it'll just make the ballends pop out more often aside from making one hell of a mess everytime you run your car!
Old 09-25-2001, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Not to mention the grease will attract dirt and act as sandpaper from the inside wearing the ball cup and ball joint out prematurely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.