Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
1/8 nitro maintanence >

1/8 nitro maintanence

1/8 nitro maintanence

Old 07-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default 1/8 maintainence

After reading the original post/question I dont think anyone has responded to the original post in the way he had hoped for
To me he is asking about maintaining the car, not getting the correct engine tune, or getting the car to run as expected.
To me maintaining an 1/8th car involves replacing worn parts such as belts,arms, front one ways, and everything else involved in keeping the car in good running condition.Of course the engine needs to run correctly to be able to wear these parts out, but maintaining a car is much different than being able to get it to run right.
They both go hand in hand in running an 1/8th scale, but it looks like he was asking about maintaining the car
Old 07-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Tires require trueing and centax needs propably regular change of the axial bearing. Air filter needs a change every now and then. Other than that I don't think there much maintenance. Just checking parts are working and screws tight. If there's any slop parts needs to checked and changed if necessary.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default 1/8th scale

belts wear out,bearings need cleaning,inspect the chassis and all suspension for bent broken parts, tires are within certain specs, usually 7mm split,plus as was mentioned, clutch,air filter, body,and always check chassis set up and ride height. Hit the wall or another car and you chassis set up could be off and the car wont handle right.
I can safely say that with all of the guys I run 1/8th on road, probably 9 out of 10 drivers work on their cars between rounds checking these items along with many other checks just to make sure they are ready to go for the next round.
To me this is the way to maintain an 1/8th on-road car.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

BRC358 got the point of the question.
The best way to maintain the car between races is to take it all appart and put it all back together after cleaning and inspecting each part. I do it every 2 club races. Just take the car appart down to the bolts, and clean each part, clean and lube the bearings and put it back together and replce anything that needs replacing. Bearings is one of the things you will replace more. After 2 or 4 times you will be able to do it by memory. SOme people like doing this, to others its a chore. Its a chore for me, but a clean car is a fast car.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jay7
Maintenance on a Nitro RC is not as bad is it may look. If you do not have access to a air compressor to blow off the dirt in all the tiny areas, get 2 brushes from home depot. One soft brissell and one hard brissel 2-3in brushes. Also buy yourself some cleaning putty and you can get your nitro car cleaned up in about 30min just from taking off the top desk and getting all the areas and oil/nitro off the chassis. Use after-run oil in the engine if you do not plan on running the car for more then a week. Remember these little things are actually machines the better you take care of it the longer they will last...

Cleaning putty: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ing-Putty-100g
Be carefull using an air compressor, they are very good at pushing grit into small spaces, like bearings!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brc358
After reading the original post/question I dont think anyone has responded to the original post in the way he had hoped for
To me he is asking about maintaining the car, not getting the correct engine tune, or getting the car to run as expected.
To me maintaining an 1/8th car involves replacing worn parts such as belts,arms, front one ways, and everything else involved in keeping the car in good running condition.Of course the engine needs to run correctly to be able to wear these parts out, but maintaining a car is much different than being able to get it to run right.
They both go hand in hand in running an 1/8th scale, but it looks like he was asking about maintaining the car
+1 And that maintenance is half the fun, if you don't like doing it, you won't last long in the hobbie.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Tech Champion

Thank God I live in Asia.......... we have cheap labour. I have my own mechanic to take care all my rc cars. I just give him new spare parts and necessary cleaning items. The car come back fresh and clean

Only engine and diff rebuild I wont let him touch.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Default I hear ya dad... let me tempt you.

Here is the only place he can run:

http://www.youtube.com/user/therealb...21/02ZUPMAZW9g

Note its a fast track and the drivers there also live up to it. So the context is at the serious end of RC racing. He also mentioned that he runs electric and knows about the "regular" maintenance.

I think what his dad is referring to is "maintaining" a car at that level of performance, the return they'll get as this track is a considerable distance from them and it's an Engine Screamer of a track.

You will devour clutches, belts and other moving components running at that level of performance. One error or radio glitch through that sweep and it's usually a NOT SO CHEAP fix. Heard lots of engine's POP there and witness a clutch completely disintegrate powering up the front straight.

There's my take on cost of maintenance, not to mention the transport costs fuel getting there and time.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think completely breaking down your car before the mains is unnecessary ! A good visual check is all that is needed, specially if you came to race with a car that has gone through a breakdown at home . Can you imagine threading and re-threading the same piece of plastic over and over! That is probably part of the reason why less than half the racers in the Amain finish the race !!! It seems to me that more B&C main racers cross the finish line, why ? Too much care causes other problems ! If it is not broken, don't touch it !!!!!!!!!! ONLY CHECK IT !!!!