Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weight Balancing With Scale

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Default Weight Balancing With Scale

Im intrested in weight balancing my TC3. I wanted to know what is a good way of measuring the weight around the car. Right now I have one gram/ounce scale. Is it possible to use only one istead of 4 scales?

If so can you please explain or post pics of your method of weight balancing or show how I could balance my car with one scale.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 10-17-2004, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Here is the one scale setup I use. It works great for onroad car setups. I just place the car on and settle the suspension by pushing down evenly and letting it up slowly. Then flip it around it works to balance left to right and front to rear. You need to make sure both surfaces are perfectly level and at the same height as each other. Also make sure the car is in the center of the scale.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...postid=1157489

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...postid=1157491
Old 10-17-2004, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Thanks Alot Speedie. Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for the pics. Sweet Car!
Old 10-17-2004, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

If you think it looks sweet you should drive it.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Nice!

One more thing, can I use wood instead of glass?
Also, when doing the front and rear weight, do I leave the glass positioning alone?
Old 10-17-2004, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

sure wood would work good as long as its stiff and wont flex at all. Im not sure abuut the last question. Its lexan, but the piece on the scale stays the same but the other end moves to accomidate the wheelbase of any car.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:39 PM
B-B
Tech Initiate

Thats a nice setup for using one scale, I have to try that out . A few of the local X-RAY guys started using a four scale setup a while back and I noticied that their lap times droppedand overall smoothness increased abunch. The MIP tweak station works pretty good but getting the weight balance just right really turned these guys into a lot better drivers.Thanx Bill
Old 10-21-2004, 05:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

One of the local pro's here has got a scale that utilizes 4 postal type electronic scales. All of the hot guys borrow this guys scales. They are INSISTANT that the scales not be moved, so that the scales will read the same each time.....

Im working on a scale that uses just one scale and has a double deck. Bottom deck is adjusted for level and holds the scale. Top deck is same level as the top of scale and is what three wheels will sit on. Fourth wheel goes on the scale.

It will be interesting to see how it compares to the four scale unit.........
Old 10-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Thats funny you should post that idea. I went and saw my first oval race tuesday in 17 years. There was a guy there who had a setup just like that. He had it setup to weigh the right front wheel for adjusting wedge on the oval car. With a touring car onroad it just needs to be balanced left to right.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yea, The guys here are measuring in grams and are getting a weight from each corner. There using the scales to first get the car as weight balanced as possible with the componets, then using it to set tweek. Four scales show the weight all at the same time.

I'm going to build my board big enough to do off-road trucks, the biggest thing I've raced in the past. Only racing sedans and 1/12 scale now, but abig board will be nice!!
Old 10-22-2004, 12:39 AM
Tech Elite

SpeediePhatt, this is a great idea. For quite a long time, I've been thinking about how to do this... didnt had the money for the Integy system.... Thanks.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

im kinda interested in using a 4 scale system i think 4 500g scales should do the trick. right? where can i get "cost efficient" scales?
Old 10-22-2004, 02:48 AM
Tech Master

I have found some really nice scales off of ebay for under 100.00 you should be able to get 4 that would work well. Just make sure they weigh to the gram.

I borrowed an Integy system once and did not like it at all. Measuring off of the axles instead of the actual tires the car is on just makes no sense to me.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:27 AM
Tech Elite

Just wondering, using four scales, doesnt that require the scales are well calibrated? At lest they should be calibrated equal, I think
Old 10-22-2004, 04:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by SpeediePHATT .........just makes no sense to me. [/B]
Speedie, the point is that wheels and tyres are unsprung weight and have no effect on what you are, or should be measuring, which is the distribution of the SPRUNG weight, and as Cole has pointed out, if your 4 scales are not calibrated to measure exactly the same (i.e. over deflection) then the results will be misleading.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.