Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 nitro radio hits/glitches problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 1/8 nitro radio hits/glitches problem

I race out in Albuquerque New Mexico at the RcRiot outdoor track. Last night every single 1/8 nitro on-road car suffered from multiple radio hits/glitches. I run an Evolva M3 evo and the other cars are the new Mugen MRX5. Everyone is on different radios from speckrum to 4PK. The weird part is that only the 1/8 nitro cars got the hits. The nitro touring and the rubber electric touring cars never had any problems. The hits also only happened on one side of the track, either coming off the straight or off the fast sweeper after the straight. The track is prepped with VHT and the traction was pretty good, good enough that you could take the sweeper off the straight flat. The interesting thing is that one racer noticed that they would get a static shock after marshalling a car and then touching the light pole. Is it possible that the radio hits are caused by some kind of static build up? Since the 1/8 cars travel faster and have bigger foam tires maybe they build a charge easier? The humidity has been extremely low and it is super dry out here (as you have seen in the news most of the state is on fire). Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent the static build up? I heard that some of the RC helicopter guys have to ground all kinds of things because of the belts and so on running the tail rotor. I can’t see that the belts are the cause because the all the 1/10 cars are belt drive and they had no problems. Could it be some combination with the VHT, the low humidity and the larger and wider foam tires on the 1/8? Has anyone ever heard of this kind of problem and does anyone have any recommendation on how to prevent static build up?

Thanks,
Mike H.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Tech Lord

Grounding your chassis is a simple task which can help, in the past the wired belt tensioner was mostly the cause of glitches.

If everyone have the same problems in the same corner you should try to find out if there is a high voltage cable under the track or if there are cables for the 100v PA system near the track. We have found damaged PA system cables in the ground and when it was wet it had infuence on the cars nearby.

About glitches with the MRX5 a lot it already written in the MRX5 topic, it seems common but not wit a real known cause.

And you can try to remove public from that corner if there is some, Mobiles in search for a WiFi/Bluetooth network can cause strainge things.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Highside20
I race out in Albuquerque New Mexico at the RcRiot outdoor track. Last night every single 1/8 nitro on-road car suffered from multiple radio hits/glitches. I run an Evolva M3 evo and the other cars are the new Mugen MRX5. Everyone is on different radios from speckrum to 4PK. The weird part is that only the 1/8 nitro cars got the hits. The nitro touring and the rubber electric touring cars never had any problems. The hits also only happened on one side of the track, either coming off the straight or off the fast sweeper after the straight. The track is prepped with VHT and the traction was pretty good, good enough that you could take the sweeper off the straight flat. The interesting thing is that one racer noticed that they would get a static shock after marshalling a car and then touching the light pole. Is it possible that the radio hits are caused by some kind of static build up? Since the 1/8 cars travel faster and have bigger foam tires maybe they build a charge easier? The humidity has been extremely low and it is super dry out here (as you have seen in the news most of the state is on fire). Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent the static build up? I heard that some of the RC helicopter guys have to ground all kinds of things because of the belts and so on running the tail rotor. I can’t see that the belts are the cause because the all the 1/10 cars are belt drive and they had no problems. Could it be some combination with the VHT, the low humidity and the larger and wider foam tires on the 1/8? Has anyone ever heard of this kind of problem and does anyone have any recommendation on how to prevent static build up?

Thanks,
Mike H.
Were all the 1/8 cars glitching? or only the MRX-5s?
I also run an M3 evo, glitched once (M11X), assumed it was the two-way radio system that I was using (I switched the two-way radio on AFTER the car radio), thus they were probably sharing the same frequency?

My 2 cents.
Mike H.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mhavlena
Were all the 1/8 cars glitching? or only the MRX-5s?
I also run an M3 evo, glitched once (M11X), assumed it was the two-way radio system that I was using (I switched the two-way radio on AFTER the car radio), thus they were probably sharing the same frequency?

My 2 cents.
Mike H.
Do like an eletric towmotor. Install a small bare wire on the chassis and let it hang under the chassis(the wire has to touch the ground). try this and see if the car still glitches.

Pass you soon...
Old 07-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lil-bump
Do like an eletric towmotor. Install a small bare wire on the chassis and let it hang under the chassis(the wire has to touch the ground). try this and see if the car still glitches.

Pass you soon...
That is a good idea. Kind of like what they do on the shopping carts at Wal-Mart. Does anyone think one of those Novak Glitch Buster Receiver Capacitors would help?
Old 07-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Tech Addict

I would go with lil-bumps idea - full size cars have something like that (not sure if they all do) so that the chassis doesnt build up a lot of static charge while driving (its like a grounding point)
It might also work with these smaller scale cars, but first I would check out that area of track for anything that could be causing that interference (like what Roelof said) All you might need to do is to relocate a wire and problem solved! Until a new one comes up