front spool or one way... >

front spool or one way...

front spool or one way...

Old 06-28-2011, 12:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default front spool or one way...

Hi there,
I have a noob question for you guys: what is the real difference in using the front spool more than a one way gear?

Any impact on those if I use DCJ shafts?

thanks to all will help me

cheers
Chob
Old 06-28-2011, 01:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

One-ways give more steering and more cornerspeed than a spool, but you lose off-power and braking stability because you only have brakes on the rear wheels.

For most people on most tracks a one-way hasn't made sense since the spool became popular, although there is no harm in trying one out.

A one-way can be hard on the driveshafts if you crash, but doesn't suffer from chatter like a spool does as the one-way bearings take up some of the differences in wheel speed.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

One ways will give you excellent turn in off power. A spool may not give you as much turn in initially but will give you the same on power steering as a one way. The biggest difference is braking, with a one way only two wheels actually brake. The spool will give you four wheel braking which is preferd. Braking with a one way can be hairy and inconsistent because you may spin out quite often. Some big races require four wheel braking so one ways aren't allowed. I like having the spool for the ability to push the pace and still be able to check up when needed.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:10 AM
Tech Adept

digitrc is right. Since the spool became popular, the front one-way has almost dropped off the radar.

The braking advantage that the spool gives is very important when you're toe-to-toe with another car entering the corner. The one who can brake later and with better stability usually gets to the apex first.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Tech Adept

well actually now I have an explanation of the insane breaking power of the car

Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chobin
Hi there,
I have a noob question for you guys: what is the real difference in using the front spool more than a one way gear?

Any impact on those if I use DCJ shafts?

thanks to all will help me

cheers
Chob
you can also go with the gear diff in the front with a thick diff lube and have the best of both worlds
Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

All depends on how you drive it too. For instance, I race 17.5 Sedan exclusively and brakes aren't necessary. Even when they are, a quick stab is all you need and, if you make it real quick, the car won't spin out.

For most, the spool will be easier to drive because it drives similar to a regular diff equipped car. With a one-way, if you come off power too much at the wrong time the car will spin out and that makes it harder for less experianced drivers.

I'm not saying a one-way is better than a spool and when it comes to modified racing where brakes are used then the spool wins hands down (of course I use to run a one-way on my Super Nitro and still had to use the brakes on it without issues) but if you're running "stock" class you may want to give a one-way a shot.

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
you can also go with the gear diff in the front with a thick diff lube and have the best of both worlds
If you mean the best of a diff and a spool, yes. If you mean the best of a spool and a one way, not even close. (Figure you know what you meant but readers may not...)
Old 06-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Robotech
All depends on how you drive it too. For instance, I race 17.5 Sedan exclusively and brakes aren't necessary. Even when they are, a quick stab is all you need and, if you make it real quick, the car won't spin out.

For most, the spool will be easier to drive because it drives similar to a regular diff equipped car. With a one-way, if you come off power too much at the wrong time the car will spin out and that makes it harder for less experianced drivers.

I'm not saying a one-way is better than a spool and when it comes to modified racing where brakes are used then the spool wins hands down (of course I use to run a one-way on my Super Nitro and still had to use the brakes on it without issues) but if you're running "stock" class you may want to give a one-way a shot.

If you mean the best of a diff and a spool, yes. If you mean the best of a spool and a one way, not even close. (Figure you know what you meant but readers may not...)
in indoor carpet the gear diff offers the steering of the oneway and the insane brakes of a spool