Community
Wiki Posts
Search

sc8 with .21???

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Default sc8 with .21???

hi,Im very new with this hobby, I want to seek advice from you guys out there. Im half a gallon now with my sc8(bashing only) I only getting 12minutes a tank.I want to change my pro .28 engine to .21 but I dont know what to do. anybody done this on SC8 already? please post a step by step tutorial and what parts needed for the conversion.thank you very much.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Tech Champion

A good 21 is plenty powerful for an SC8 - will actually be faster than with the stock engine cuz a good 21 will rev a lot higher. Try a Werks B5 or Alpha A852, Go GXII 5-port, Jammin JPX-21, etc..

All you need is the engine, a good pipe for it, and a starter box with batteries.. All there is to it..

The Alpha .23 would probably be neat too.. Tons of engine options..
Old 06-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
A good 21 is plenty powerful for an SC8 - will actually be faster than with the stock engine cuz a good 21 will rev a lot higher. Try a Werks B5 or Alpha A852, Go GXII 5-port, Jammin JPX-21, etc..

All you need is the engine, a good pipe for it, and a starter box with batteries.. All there is to it..

hi, thanks! How about the engine mounts,the flywheel? do i need to buy a new engine mount? thanks
Old 06-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Tech Champion

No, it's the same mount as in the RC8B and RC8T... (pretty sure..) No mods necessary really.. I never even ran the stock engine, but went straight to bumpstart engines.., and there were no issues afaicr..
Old 06-18-2011, 05:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage

I called Ofna/Picco the other to ask them a question about my jpx .28,it and the jpx .21 are discontinued.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

Shame.. Don't know what's up with Picco.. Seem to not care about off-road anymore..

I had the Nosram 21RR, another Picco-made twin of the Jammin JPX 21.. Awesome engine -probably the fastest engine I've run in the SC8 so far..(or anything else..) Raced it in my RC8T - really liked it..

Still, even if the Jammin is discontinued, there are plenty of Piccos, Nosrams, and others out there. Still very much worth getting IMHO... Just a PIA getting the right plugs..
Old 06-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am running a grp speed tuned .28 in my sc8. It seems too be too much for it as it is really fast and breaks loose alot. I am working on a good tuned for it as it seems to smoke alot during the first few minutes but then it leans out quits smoking and gets hot. Possible air leak in engine or tank. Gas prices and my gas hog 4x4 are keeping me from the track to do more tuning with all my rc8's.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Tech Champion

Would love to see some video of an SC8 with a screaming GRP 28.. Unfortunately, I have heard and seen lots of people have problems with that engine.. Local guy here spent €300 on the kit a couple years ago, and threw it away after a very short time due to a variety of problems - primarily due to it being untuneable.. Finicky engines by the sound of it.. But screamers too if you sort it out I think..
Old 06-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That's all I've ever ran in mine and it smokes the stock .28 I have a few videos of it on youtube.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We ran a Werks B7, JPX21, Ninja, Nova 21-4, Alpha green head and even an OS Speed in our SC8s. These trucks are so much fun to beat cuz they can actually take it.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:51 PM
Tech Champion

I've decided I don't like mine.. Went and changed all the oils, installed new bearings, etc... for an open-class race recently, and it just completely sucked.. Jumped horribly. I think the main problem was my shock oil was too think(35), but even if set up right you've still got the mega-annoying thing of the front bumper digging in and sending your flipping, etc.. Selling mine and going back to truggy and/or buggy..

ps This track is VERY rutty.. On a smooth, long track with not too many jumps, it'd be more fun..