Wiki Posts
Search

Getting tires off wheels with acetone

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Getting tires off wheels with acetone

What is the best container and how much acetone is needed? I have a bunch of truggy wheels i'd like to reuse.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

one that seals really well and thats not to big... such a little bit to fill the bottom of the container. i recommend cutting the foams out of the tires before putting them in the container if you plan on re-using the foams.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Gallon paint cans. You can get new ones from a local paint supplier for a few bucks.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 266 (100%+)

I used it not to long ago for the first time and it all came off nice and clean without no damage to the foam. What i did was use a paint can and drop some acetone in it to where i feel it will only cover the wheel and the edge of the tire. I cover the can with the can lid and let it sit there from morning to night and peel off that one side. After i peel the tire from that side i took the foam out and did the other side. I did it one tire at a time since i could only fit 1 wheel. It seem like it took forever but im pretty sure if you find something bigger that you can sit 4 wheels at the same time it will be quicker.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

I was thinking like a plastic 5 gallon bucket with a lid. Sucks you can only do like 4 wheels at a time tho...need a container of some sort that is 6 inches deep by like 3 feet with a tight lid.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Tech Addict

I use a rectangular baking pan. Fill it just enough to cover the bead of the wheel. Cut the tire off the wheel first and remove the foam. I just cover it with a piece of cardboard and put something heavy enough to help keep it sealed on top. Works great for me. It's cheap and I can do 8 wheels at a time.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Any way to reverse this? I have a broken wheel but new tire/foam - anyway to remove tire/foam from wheel?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have been using acetone for a while and it really works great. It will kill your CLOSED CELL foams, but regular foams are fine.The best part is that you can reuse the same acetone over and over.

You can pick one gallon containers at any of the large box home improvement stores for about $8-10 bucks.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SNIPR
Any way to reverse this? I have a broken wheel but new tire/foam - anyway to remove tire/foam from wheel?
Ive heard that putting them in the oven at about 250 for about 10-15 minutes will work. Ive never tried it, maybe someone else will elaborate.

Also, for those looking for cheap buckets, Firehouse subs sells sealable buckets(5 gallon I think) for $2.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Lord

Do NOT soak the tire what so ever in the Acetone, Rather let it float 1/4" above the acetone and let the vapors do their trick. It Will take a few extra days, But you can salvage any part of the tire you choose. The only thing you have to watch out for is getting any Acetone on the Actual foams. Aka's Does not play nice with acetone.

As far as baking, Yes it can be done. But again Aka's will be ruined if you do, Not to mention the horrible mess your left with on the tire and rim after.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Place them on a baking sheet in an oven for 30 mins on 350 degrees. let them cool for about 10 mins and carefully peal them off. I've done it a couple times with stadium truck tires and it works great. Just don't pull to hard or you will tear the tire