Search

looking for some info on Home made powersupply

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default looking for some info on Home made powersupply

hello ,
im looking for some info i have seen where people take a PC power supply an turn it tinot a powerstation for chargers an what not ..
but what i cant find is how many amps one can push out ? all i see is people hooking 1 charger up to it .. and they are commonly 250 350 watt one.
so i am trying to figure out if i can take this 750 watt pc power supply an make it able to use my Hi tech 4 charger please post input on this or feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected]

thanks Rob
Old 06-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

best info I have found

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005309

But to figure out how many amps it's rated for, just use ohms law.

I = V/R or current = voltage divided by resistance
I * V = P or current times voltage = power
a watt is a measurement of power.

so 750W / 12v = 62.5A

Just because it's rated at that doesn't mean it will do that. If you run a power supply at 100% capacity for an extended period, kiss it goodbye.
Ideally you want to keep it in the range of 40% - 60% capacity.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You should also see if the power supply is rated for 750 watts on the 12 volt rail or all voltage rails added together.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

Heres some reading for you:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...r-supplys.html
http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27554
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=444

I have not tried any of these yet but it should help.
mark
Old 06-09-2011, 12:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ill share, I posted this on another forum. This should give you some ideas, there can be many ways to set something similar to this up.

I picked up a eurolite case from procases. You can order the case online from procases.com, they can also make a custom size if you so wish. I used the 4 row cd case and removed two of the dividers, removed the foam where the supplies and lexan went and painted the inside with some oil based black paint.

I wired 2-47amp, 12 volt supplies in series for 12v and 24v. This should allow for a little over 1100 watts. In the pics you see a common negative used for both voltages and the other bus bar contains a 12v and 24v side. It was difficult to find the exact bus bars I wanted but finally found what I was looking for at West Marine.

I couldnt help but use a few led lighted fans to help circulate air through the case. Also, picked up a flush mount iec receptacle from fry's to plug the cord into the case. Real clean install and allows me to just open the case, plug in the cord and Im ready to go.

I installed 2 sets of flush mount banana jacks that allow for additional 12v and 24v capability if someone wants to plug their chargers into my setup. Finally I hooked up 3 icharger, 208b's to the 24v side. I ran the wires through a nylon sleeve to help protect the wires going through the lexan and make everything look nice.

I put alot of thought into this and tried to make a portable, clean, charger box. This will mostly be used at the local indoor tracks to charge batteries for my 1/8 scale buggy and 4x4 short course truck. I mostly will be charging 5000 mah, 5 cells and 5000mah 2 cells at 2c. This is way over kill and may prompt me to get another buggy because I have all the charging power I need. My dad just bought a buggy and I dont think he will need to upgrade his charger equipment because I should have enough power to charge his 4 cells and all my batts too!

Old 06-09-2011, 02:58 AM
Tech Addict

That is a sweet looking set up JC. You've inspired me.

I've been eyeing off a 29A 350W PS for a while, link below

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I can land it here for $40,

but wonder if its capable of running my icharger 106B and a B6. (charging 4S packs)

The 106B is capable of 10A at 250W and the B6 is 7A at 50W.

The output voltage on this PS is 10 - 13.2V which looks like the limiting factor.

Any thoughts??? or advise appreciated.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nogas
That is a sweet looking set up JC. You've inspired me.

I've been eyeing off a 29A 350W PS for a while, link below

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I can land it here for $40,

but wonder if its capable of running my icharger 106B and a B6. (charging 4S packs)

The 106B is capable of 10A at 250W and the B6 is 7A at 50W.

The output voltage on this PS is 10 - 13.2V which looks like the limiting factor.

Any thoughts??? or advise appreciated.
I can't remember the name of the company, I was trying to look it up to get a link for you. But they sell converted power supplies and you can get a 40A for $50 shipped I believe. I know a few guy that have been using them for years with 0 issues.

I picked up an 80A power supply from work out of a old HP server we shut down. I'm going to start working on it next week to get it powered up and running.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

I still have a few 72amp models floating around...

$40 shipped, the plug had to be changed because they originaly came with a higher amp plug that is a PIA to find cords for.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks but I'm on the other side of the world from you guys so i'd hate to see what it would cost to ship
Old 06-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayCrash450
Ill share, I posted this on another forum. This should give you some ideas, there can be many ways to set something similar to this up.

I picked up a eurolite case from procases. You can order the case online from procases.com, they can also make a custom size if you so wish. I used the 4 row cd case and removed two of the dividers, removed the foam where the supplies and lexan went and painted the inside with some oil based black paint.

I wired 2-47amp, 12 volt supplies in series for 12v and 24v. This should allow for a little over 1100 watts. In the pics you see a common negative used for both voltages and the other bus bar contains a 12v and 24v side. It was difficult to find the exact bus bars I wanted but finally found what I was looking for at West Marine.

I couldnt help but use a few led lighted fans to help circulate air through the case. Also, picked up a flush mount iec receptacle from fry's to plug the cord into the case. Real clean install and allows me to just open the case, plug in the cord and Im ready to go.

I installed 2 sets of flush mount banana jacks that allow for additional 12v and 24v capability if someone wants to plug their chargers into my setup. Finally I hooked up 3 icharger, 208b's to the 24v side. I ran the wires through a nylon sleeve to help protect the wires going through the lexan and make everything look nice.

I put alot of thought into this and tried to make a portable, clean, charger box. This will mostly be used at the local indoor tracks to charge batteries for my 1/8 scale buggy and 4x4 short course truck. I mostly will be charging 5000 mah, 5 cells and 5000mah 2 cells at 2c. This is way over kill and may prompt me to get another buggy because I have all the charging power I need. My dad just bought a buggy and I dont think he will need to upgrade his charger equipment because I should have enough power to charge his 4 cells and all my batts too!
Very nice setup. I'm running one of those power supplies myself. Where did you find that flush mount power recepticle on the side of the case?
Old 06-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayCrash450

Man, that is a great piece you built there. You should sell them