Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Getting a truggy. Need all the info I can get >

Getting a truggy. Need all the info I can get

Getting a truggy. Need all the info I can get

Old 05-31-2011, 12:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Getting a truggy. Need all the info I can get

Basically the title says it. I'm getting a eight t 2.0. I'm a complete newb to nitro. I need to know everything. Give me a list of what I'll need to run a good truggy opperation. Engine and pipe options, fuels, everything. I just really don't know alot about nitro so I need somebody who does to enlighten me. I need to know brands and specifics. Any and everything you can think of that is required to run 1/8 nitro off-road. Thanks to anyone who replies.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:35 AM
Tech Adept

there is a 8T 2.0 section in here mate that would give u a lot of the info you would need.

the 2.0 is a great kit and is a terrific 1st truggy as it one of the best.

be diligent on servicing the diffs as thats one area a lot of my friends who run the Losi have issues with.

Mike
Old 05-31-2011, 12:50 AM
Tech Regular

Th 8t 2.0 thread has like 829 pages. I'm not reading through all that. Lol
Old 05-31-2011, 12:58 AM
Tech Master

well there is a "Tough One"
now this depepnds? motor wise if "Racing" many like to go with .21 series motors....for the "Runtime"
and for sheer brute force some run .28's but they do not get very good run time.....
now,many will say you need a super hot-rodded mod motor? or some ultra fancy or expensive motor?
but there not really needed?? there just a "Mind Thing"
i try different motors all the time? last 2 weeks we have been trying out and proving a point the "Stock" Nova P5 pulls and out runs $450.00+ Motors.....and "It Has"
Normaly i run the Axial .21RR-1 but been running the Nova P5 for "Testing"

one of the best out of the 22+ motors we did tests and trying out for the average "Joe-Racer"
was the WERKS B5 with a 2013 pipe
a Nova P5 now oddly this is a "Older Motor" but you see allot of these in Trucks !!! most use this with a Nova 9901 or a Nova 2084 pipes
and the newer Nova P5 XLT these are stump pullers as well but tad better runtime with the 9901 pipes most will get about 10 min on "Average"
and the Nova 21-4 or as some call them Nova 21+4
with the Nova 9901
the B5 is a Beast !!! but be sure to at least give it a gallon before it really starts to come around........
also the least expensive at around $199.99
if you shop around can get them for about 178.00
for other motors? there are a Gazillion others?
but the least "Inexpensive" and work good were the:
Werks B5 $199.99
GO GX-5R round $180.00
ALPHA S852 round $200.00
Nova P5 round $200.00
Nova P5 XLT round $236.00
Nova 21-4 round $256.00-$289.00
those are the ones we found that "Work" in Truggies to move these Monsters around....
sure there are more....??? and there all more "Expensive"
but for the money it's hard to "Justify the Price"

fuel? everyone has an "Opinion" here...???
many out there?? not too many that are not good....???
many have really good luck with these.....
Sidewinder 30%
S&W
WERKS 30%
and Byrons 30% w/9% oil
most seem to have the best luck with those....
Old 05-31-2011, 01:24 AM
Tech Regular

just to be a little more clear I am racing not bashing.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

truggy
motor & pipe
starter box
glow ignitor
servos x2
fuel
tires
spare parts and bearings
rx battery
transponder
battery charger
extra clutch parts

those should get you going.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by elikeatts
You need to hook up with an experienced racer at the track (any brand) who can get you started. It's much more efficient, especially if reading isn't your thing.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:43 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

You need the typical list as above and on engine and pipe. Stick with a 21 for racing and set a budget. The engines listed above aren't bad. The p5 would be my choice on that lost it has plenty of power and it will last many gallons trouble free. Being new one of the most frustrating things istuning your engine. That was my issue when I first started. It takes time and patience. But to that engine list I would add the os XZ line and a 2060 pipe or Losi re-11 if you want a less expensive pipe. Os engines are very easy to tune and run hard. Some don't like them but then again you can't ease everyone that's why there are so many choices out there. There's something for everyone. Most racers use 30% fuel pick a fuel that is easy to get ahold of. Hope that helps.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdId=TLR0805

Per Horizon - Scroll to the bottom of that page... Thats what you need.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I recommend an OS .21 either a XZ or a Speed. You will want something easy to tune that makes good power. A 2060 pipe will be your best choice for either of those.

I also recommend Hitec 7955 servos or something similar. More torque is needed for turning those big tires and to give good braking. I've had really good luck with those servos and so have the vast majority of people I know who have owned them.

For tires I like AKA soft City Blocks and soft Grid Irons will get you through 95% of the time. I stock a couple sets of each and 1 set I-Beams. The City Blocks usually last me 2-3 races each set and usually a set of Grid Irons will make a whole day. If tire wear is really high I try and stay away from small pins so I'll run either City Blocks or if its really bad the I-Beams.

Other then that a good radio, starter box, and some tools and stuff ought to get you by. The Losis seem to not break the plastic parts much but the drivetrain parts don't last very long so you'll need to keep an eye on diff shimming and pin wear.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you don't want to read you are in trouble. So you think you should have your own personal 8t 2.0 thread? This is not a chat room it is a forum and everything you want to know has already been covered many times.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:36 AM
Tech Regular

Ok, thanks to the guys who actually tried to help. For the rest of you, don't get smart with me. I read more than the average person. But why would I try to dig through 830 pages of anecdotal conversation trying to find these few bits of info when I can just ask the question and get a simple straight answer?yes, its a forum, so allow me to use it as such. So don't comment unless you are trying to answer my question. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Werks B5, 2013 pipe, Losi bump box and spare clutch parts. I always used Hitech 7955's on unregulated lipo for servos, in mine and punched it. That is a good start.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:15 AM
Tech Prophet

if your going with a truggy kit and dont want to break the bank go for the rc8t ce truggy the drivetrain is bullet proof.

and the drivetrain does not wear much at all and no diff shimming other than the stock diff shimming to worry about

and the plastic quality is good and the parts are a bit cheaper.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Ok, thanks to the guys who actually tried to help. For the rest of you, don't get smart with me. I read more than the average person. But why would I try to dig through 830 pages of anecdotal conversation trying to find these few bits of info when I can just ask the question and get a simple straight answer?yes, its a forum, so allow me to use it as such. So don't comment unless you are trying to answer my question. Thanks!
http://www.amazon.com/Car-Bible-elec...ref=pd_sim_b_1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.