Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Starting up a 1/10th F1 class localy. Help? >

Starting up a 1/10th F1 class localy. Help?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starting up a 1/10th F1 class localy. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by British Menace
Although 2 hrs away .... Joliet would be my local outdoor track (I think??) So to have an F1 class run there would be great!!

I still have yet to get my car and I'm thinking of getting the F104 Pro. Or waiting a while and getting the new X1. But then I may miss out on some racing :-)

I'm going to be running the Tamiya rules on rubber.
As far as rules and how to start up a class like this ....
I would have just two classes....
An open class... run what you like foams, rubber, 21.5 or 10 turn. Doesn't matter! Its OPEN!
Then a second Budget class with stock type rules, on rubber.... cause its slower and cheaper, 21.5 or a stock 540 motor maybe. Just the slower cheap stuff if you see what I'm saying.

When you guys going down to Joliet? I'd like to come

Menace
Come out to Strictly Rc for the Asphalt Assault series June 12, it's in Norridge which is not far from O'Hare airport. The Joliet leg will be 8/21, with practice the day before.

Asphalt Assault
Old 06-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Meltdown = sliding comm, toasted brushes, roasted magnets etc. Doesn't mean it won't run, it just sucks. I can't tell you how many guys I see get a motor hot and then the comm moves...junk motor.
I know what you mean, but I have also seen guys take a box stock motor, run the ever livin piss out of it, and do that race after race after race all season long.the bigger silver can killer in my experience is when you face the wall on corner exit with the back wheel and the motion of the axle pops the internal spacer in the motor causing lots of slop in the motor

Last edited by BP SHADOW; 06-01-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey Das, I was the other guy at LHR Sunday and it's great to hear you guys are starting an F1 class, the close racing and scale looks makes this one of my favorite classes to race (and they still go in the rain ). It seems you have a good idea what you want to do but if I could make a suggestion go with run anything that looks like an F1 car. Like your guy said a lot of people have some form of an F1 on the shelf, get em all out race them on whatever tires they have and let natural selection take it's course. After awhile if it catches on people may want to update instead of searching for old parts and then you can start to narrow down what rules fit. If possible, you and your bud should make a return trip to LHR for Asphalt Assault. There are at least 8-10 quick guys with an F1 and to win AA at LHR earns quite a feather in the cap (along with Rob Kings heavyweight belt) Hope to see you guys.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
SC motors run with 21.5 fairly well, running SC only is a recipe for disaster, and tech issues.
Even a proper $50 cheater SC motor is no faster than a 21.5 BL for 10 min races.
Just beware, there are SC motors out there, that have less turns, and quite different specs, but look very similar to the Kit Tamiya motor.

I've heard recently, that a 20 yr old fibreglass kit F-103 beat $500+ dollar F1 cars at a UF1 race in the "Open" class

As long as you have a spec motor (preferably 21.5) and rubber tires, the high end cars have nothing extra to offer, other than bling.

batteries shaped like this will fit with no issues.
2400mah will run 10 mins easy.

So Dave, did you hear that the fiberglass 103 beat the $500 chassis? or were you driving said fiberglass 103?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

At the risk of being killjoy, I agree 100%, maybe more. A properly set up Tamiya chassis (103 or 104) is a potent racecar, and far from slow. I raced every F1 season at Lazer always with chassis that were 100% TCS legal, and they were plenty competitive against the 3racing cars and such. My set back was that I would only race on points days and often missed practice, so the guys that were there every week had a pretty big edge. As far as tires go, foams are hard to police in tech if you want everyone to run the same tire. From what I hear, the Pit Shimizus are a good all around tire, I think I heard that the Hard front/soft rear is the combo to run, but I have yet to try them. When money allows, I will be stocking Pit and Ride rubbers in all the compounds. I would give a good price if people wanted to do a group buy on them. PM me for details and pricing
Hopefully I will make it down to Toledo soon, im jonesin to run F1 outdoors
Will bring parts and cars when I do
Also, Im hearing about a 2 day F1/VTA race in the Aug/Sept time frame at the Gate, will post as I hear more details

Originally Posted by Vector03cobra
I dis agree.

You do not want to play run what you brung, it will be no fun really fast.

and here is an example at toledo on saturdays they started a 1/10 slider class, everyone pretty much said on good faith keep them cheep keep them near stock as you can.

Someone shows up with a turbo speedo, then 2 then 3 then soeone shows up with a $400 roller next thing you know someone shows up with a $1000 sprint car.

now they have 2 classes, 3 people racing there turbo modded sliders adn sprint car, and 12-14 people racing stock(ish)

A stock tamyia F1 car is near 200 bucks. its a really cheap class to race when everyone has the same rules to follow.

And racing is why we do this because its fun to compete and try to get better.

Whats not fun is trying your hardest and soemone has 10 times the car you do.

half the problem, with half the classes currently is the lack of structure. 2 guys have one class 3 guys and other, 1 guy has something else, some clubs have there own rules some clubs dont use any. some just rung what you brung.

Some guys enter a class and the rules change half way through the year or weekend to weekend. often without warning and often at a cost to the racer.

Run what you brung is for a novice, and novice that does not have one and wants to get into this just by walking past the track should be assisted by a fellow racer on how they can get into the sport and so on.

anyways I could go on about all kinds of stuff and how things used to be.

my 2 cents
Old 06-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
So Dave, did you hear that the fiberglass 103 beat the $500 chassis? or were you driving said fiberglass 103?
Wasn't me Brad.
Check with Tom Slick
Old 06-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Wasn't me Brad.
Check with Tom Slick
That doesnt shock me either.
By the way I still have the newsletters from back in the FORCE days, will scan as time allows and post, show the roots of the RCF1 class
Old 06-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

On another note, here is a chassis that I just completed for sale.
It is available with or without wheels, tires and body, painted or unpainted.
To see the examples of my work go to www.f1paintlab.com

Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Zuke-Your showing your inexperience!

I dis agree.

You do not want to play run what you brung, it will be no fun really fast.

and here is an example at toledo on saturdays they started a 1/10 slider class, everyone pretty much said on good faith keep them cheep keep them near stock as you can.

Someone shows up with a turbo speedo, then 2 then 3 then soeone shows up with a $400 roller next thing you know someone shows up with a $1000 sprint car. (I think your numbers are "slightly" inflated! Well, maybe not, you did spend $300 for a battery plate! lol)

now they have 2 classes, 3 people racing there turbo modded sliders adn sprint car, and 12-14 people racing stock(ish) [COLOR="red"](IF they really have a 12-14 car count vs. 3-SO WHAT? The racing will be in the larger class.)

A stock tamyia F1 car is near 200 bucks. its a really cheap class to race when everyone has the same rules to follow. (You don't mention if option parts will be allowed-they're expensive. Also, Tammy has one 104 that is 180mm and a new one that is not! Do you think all classes should be "SPEC"? I bet NASCAR is your favorite form of racing!!)

And racing is why we do this because its fun to compete and try to get better.

Whats not fun is trying your hardest and soemone has 10 times the car you do. (Boy we sure can agree on that one! Ever think that's what some poeple may think about racing against you? Wish we could do something about the guys that are 10 times the driver...)

half the problem, with half the classes currently is the lack of structure. 2 guys have one class 3 guys and other, 1 guy has something else, some clubs have there own rules some clubs dont use any. some just rung what you brung. (The main purpose of suggesting, not "run what ya 'brung" but being more inclusive at the start, is to allow everyone to see what will work and what will be supported by the racers. I agree with you there are too many classes and sub-classes, but the genie's out of the bottle and it's not going back in. I just like F1, and when I got the idea that Lon II was trying to get something going, I thought I'd be interested. I didn't see anything about it being for carpet only as you have stated.)

Some guys enter a class and the rules change half way through the year or weekend to weekend. often without warning and often at a cost to the racer.
(that's the fault of those running the show-changes used to be voted on by those it would affect.)

Run what you brung is for a novice, and novice that does not have one and wants to get into this just by walking past the track should be assisted by a fellow racer on how they can get into the sport and so on. (I fail to see your point-but i'm sure you dont\'t get mine either! ; ))

anyways I could go on about all kinds of stuff and how things used to be.

my 2 cents
(Just a note on rubber tires in F1-There are more options than you think, and most are not pre-mounted, which allows various inner foams and gaps to enter in to the equation. I'm surprised you forgot about that considering your GT-E experience....)

You've convinced me this class isn't for me, but I live 600miles away , so it doesn't matter much. (I should have known, I made the mistake of jumping on the bandwagon for a new class many, many times in the last 40 years of RC Racing!)

Later,
Ned
Old 06-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by aarcobra
(Just a note on rubber tires in F1-There are more options than you think, and most are not pre-mounted, which allows various inner foams and gaps to enter in to the equation. I'm surprised you forgot about that considering your GT-E experience....)

You've convinced me this class isn't for me, but I live 600miles away , so it doesn't matter much. (I should have known, I made the mistake of jumping on the bandwagon for a new class many, many times in the last 40 years of RC Racing!)

Later,
Ned
You have a point, and it can be a problem, but there arent nearly as many inserts available for F1 as there are for TC. When Tamiya brought out the original rubber tires for the 103, we tried all kinds of stuff as far as the inserts went, and in the end, the best setup was the stock inserts built exactly like the instuctions said to, go figure. The 201 was a bit different, it took a bit of creativity to make those tires work, but in the end, the stock inserts were used, just with modifications.
For the little bit that I ran my 104 on rubber lasy summer at Lazer, I ran no inserts in the rears, a lot is going to come down to driving style.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aarcobra

Later,
Ned
I did think about the inserts, but there are so few and far between that fit. unlike TC, and GT

Could they be raced outside, sure, mostly we had beend setting up the rules far enough in advance for carpet I am not aposed to them outside.

When i first started raceing there was a run what you brung class it was novice, a limited number of wins or top 3 finishes and you had been looked at to move out of that class.

Nascar. they only thing i watch that is nascar is qualifying, and thats with no other form of racing is on. cant stand the racing.

I have watched all but one F1 race going back to end of 07

The idea for this class local was to keep it cheap competitive and fun.
to do that there needs to be some fairly tight rules into place.

after seeing how racing has fallen apart some with all the classes and lack of control , dont like the more spec F1 rules run a different class.

You can always race 1/10th slider with turbo mod motor
or
VTA 17.5 turbo.
or
world GT turbo

all of that we have and the BIGGEST turn out is 1/10 slider "stock" the class that has the most rules

Ned this is great that we are talking about this here, this is how we can find out what will work best, and try and fit this into something that everyone will like

on a final note no one here really has a F1 so allowing any F1 car is going to conform for the minority and would allow me or any other person to show up with a $500 roller without the limits in place to do that can happen
Old 06-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

I did think about the inserts, but there are so few and far between that fit. unlike TC, and GT

Could they be raced outside, sure, mostly we had beend setting up the rules far enough in advance for carpet I am not aposed to them outside.

When i first started raceing there was a run what you brung class it was novice, a limited number of wins or top 3 finishes and you had been looked at to move out of that class.

Nascar. they only thing i watch that is nascar is qualifying, and thats with no other form of racing is on. cant stand the racing.

I have watched all but one F1 race going back to end of 07

The idea for this class local was to keep it cheap competitive and fun.
to do that there needs to be some fairly tight rules into place.

after seeing how racing has fallen apart some with all the classes and lack of control , dont like the more spec F1 rules run a different class.

You can always race 1/10th slider with turbo mod motor
or
VTA 17.5 turbo.
or
world GT turbo

all of that we have and the BIGGEST turn out is 1/10 slider "stock" the class that has the most rules

Ned this is great that we are talking about this here, this is how we can find out what will work best, and try and fit this into something that everyone will like

on a final note no one here really has a F1 so allowing any F1 car is going to conform for the minority and would allow me or any other person to show up with a $500 roller without the limits in place to do that can happen
Rubber is nice because the ride height and rollout stay consistent. Also the cars look more scale with rubber tires.
Hopups are cool to have, but really aside from an aluminum motor mount, bearings and an oil filled shock, the rest is unnecessary.
I have a fleet of chassis that I want to bring down and run at Toledo, and I have combination to comply to any rules that you can put in place.
If you need any help writing the rules, I would be more than happy to help, I know what has worked in the past and what hasnt.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Why worry so much about how much someone spends. Setup rules to make the class competitive no matter what someone spends on a car. There are not that many F1 cars even out right now. Just have chassis specs and a limit on ESC and motor. As long as someones chassis meet those specs let them race. Who cares if they spent $800 on it. Heck with the way F1 is right now it could use some pushing to help develop better cars.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CR0SS
Why worry so much about how much someone spends. Setup rules to make the class competitive no matter what someone spends on a car. There are not that many F1 cars even out right now. Just have chassis specs and a limit on ESC and motor. As long as someones chassis meet those specs let them race. Who cares if they spent $800 on it. Heck with the way F1 is right now it could use some pushing to help develop better cars.
Someone i am sure can answer this better then me.I dont worry how much someone spends, I worry how much someone thinks they need to speed to be competitive and then because of that does not race..

For many of us here that are going to be running this class local its not a main class for us so to limit what can and cannot be run was an idea to reduce cost.

I am also just putting out idea's for us to consider when forming this class. Right now we have 6-10 guys that are going to jump in. we are just waiting for the rules to be posted, we are using all of these ideas to develop those rules.

Again with our 1/10 slider class here it started as about 5 guys and I think Prior to the unlimited class peaked around 15-17 cars maybe more.

We would like to see 10+ F1 cars conforming to a decent set of rules. We would also like to see them more realistic.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Sounds Good!

Someone i am sure can answer this better then me.I dont worry how much someone spends, I worry how much someone thinks they need to speed to be competitive and then because of that does not race..

For many of us here that are going to be running this class local its not a main class for us so to limit what can and cannot be run was an idea to reduce cost.

I am also just putting out idea's for us to consider when forming this class. Right now we have 6-10 guys that are going to jump in. we are just waiting for the rules to be posted, we are using all of these ideas to develop those rules.

Again with our 1/10 slider class here it started as about 5 guys and I think Prior to the unlimited class peaked around 15-17 cars maybe more.

We would like to see 10+ F1 cars conforming to a decent set of rules. We would also like to see them more realistic.
Jeff,
All noble goals and what most rule makers (except F1!) struggle with constantly! You are right on with your comment: I worry how much someone thinks they need to speed to be competitive and then because of that does not race.. That's why I would like to see you LFG's (Local Fat Guys) run the cheapest equipment!!!

My main issue is restricting the class to one or two chassis when there so many available (as opposed to Sliders that can hardly be more than a one-design class.) Also the Tamiya cars that comply with your 180mm rule are realitivly new and expensive.

Rubber tires make sense to me also, IF there is a pre-mounted spec tire and no tire treatment! ref. E-GT! Deal with the probable lack of grip!!!! Unfortunately that probably limits the chassis choice....

Last comment-Realism is great! Pink F1 cars with no decals and exact scale tires would suck alot more than nicely decorated, scale llike bodies, and 200mm width, "reasonably sized" foam tires.

Good Luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.