Noob Here, Have Questions Please :)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Noob Here, Have Questions Please :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Noob Here, Have Questions Please :)

Hello! I want to get into the awesome world of RC Cars! I have some questions though:
1. I was looking into the TB-02 but then I realized there is a TB-03 lol would that be a better match for me? I am looking to spend around 200$ to 300$ for a good one to have fun with and the TB-03 is supposed to be good for beginning.

2. I will use it in my backyard and at parking lots mainly, mainly just a fun car, nothing really serious. I will use it for drifting but also just for having fun.

3. what place do u guys buy your stuff at? I found 1 or 2 online sites but I was wondering if you knew any I might not....

4. would this kit be good for me: 58420 Tamiya 1/10 TB-03D Drift Spec Chassis Kit TB03
and if I wanted to make it less of a drift car, would it be easily done?

5. I know I get the 190mm shell for the car but can other brands fit it?

6. best battery to use?

7. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The best thing to do is find a local hobby store. They can direct you much better as to what is popular in your area and you will have proper parts support as the need arises. You will be able to meet many of the hobbyists in your area as well.

Good luck!
Old 05-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by knwnasrob
Hello! I want to get into the awesome world of RC Cars! I have some questions though:
1. I was looking into the TB-02 but then I realized there is a TB-03 lol would that be a better match for me? I am looking to spend around 200$ to 300$ for a good one to have fun with and the TB-03 is supposed to be good for beginning.

2. I will use it in my backyard and at parking lots mainly, mainly just a fun car, nothing really serious. I will use it for drifting but also just for having fun.

3. what place do u guys buy your stuff at? I found 1 or 2 online sites but I was wondering if you knew any I might not....

4. would this kit be good for me: 58420 Tamiya 1/10 TB-03D Drift Spec Chassis Kit TB03
and if I wanted to make it less of a drift car, would it be easily done?

5. I know I get the 190mm shell for the car but can other brands fit it?

6. best battery to use?

7. Thank you!

Check out the local shops. Ask questions but DO NOT jump at the first thing the counter person suggests. Way to often there are people buying "suggested" equipment and finding out it's not what they need or can handle. Your doing a good thing by getting involved in the forum. Since your new....ask for advice after checking some things out.

2. The Tamiya TB02/03 are great cars but there's ALOT of potential choices. This where checking out the local shop could be important. If they don't stock parts for it then you have to accept you'll be buying via online sources. Nothing wrong with that but it does change things a bit, especially if you're in a hurry to get the car running after breaking something.

Lots of good online shops but don't forget Ebay. It can be very useful. One of my favorites is Phils Hobby shop. www.philshobbyshop.com. Online prices are usually better than his ebay prices. A-Main hobbies is very popular. Speedtech is also great and they have a thread here on rctech.

There's usually 1 0r 2 small differences in a "drift" model vs. a racing model. Depends on what car you buy. lately there have been some very distinct "drift" cars produced and using them for anything else can be difficult.

Bodies of 190mm or 200mm from a variety of companies will work. The wider 200mm bodies may require offset wheels to look right. For now, I'd stick with 190mm.

batteries...huge number of choices. Very popular right now are Gens Ace brand. Check out www.hobbypartz.com. At least you can start learning about batteries. Typically for touring cars like the TB03...4000mah to 5000mah 2S1P hard case batteries are most popular.

Lots of factors involved so forgive the basic answers. Qiute a difference between playing around (bashing) and actual racing. Racing of any kind (including drifting) can have different requirements depending on local rules or national rules.

Good Luck and HAVE FUN !!
Old 05-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Cool thanks! Well I realized that the TB03D doesnt include a motor haha so I don't think I'm getting that one.
My choice is between the:
Tamiya 1/10 RC Xanavi Nismo GT-R (R35) - TB03
and
58424 1/10 Takata NSX '08 TB03 Tentative Kit

just curious as to the differences?

I have no problem at all buying online, I honestly got into this with the mindset I will be doing most purchases online haha.

what other potential choices are there?
thanks!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Those 2 TB03 kits are basically the same with the exception of the body and wheels. Everything else should be identical.
The 03 is a good choice for a first car. Shaft drive is pretty bulletproof and it has the cool IFS front shocks. I'm a big fan of Tamiya so I'm a bit biased.
TA05 is another choice. HUGELY popular.

I'm also a collector of the old Losi XXX-S cars. Absolutely one of the best ever made and way ahead of it's time. Great chassis for bashing too because the entire drivetrain is sealed so its really hard to get junk inside it.

My current favorite race chassis is the Team Magic E4FS/RS. In my opinion one of the best designs out there and really good to work on. Not well supported in shops though. www.wolfhobbies.com
If you look at the new Tamiya TA06...you can see alot of similarity. When the TA06 comes out...I think I'll get that simply because I know parts supply will be great and other manufacturers will be making all sorts of add ons for it.

You can't go wrong with a well supported brand like Tamiya. If I were your shop guy...I'd say if your budget allows....go for the TB03. Going with Tamiya will also introduce you to the MASSIVE hop up parts market so you can spend lots of money on pretty, shiny stuff that doesn't help performance ONE bit.....but it sure does look good !!!!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Cool! If they are both the same basically then GTR it is!
One more dumb question lol. Do the cars come painted with stickers like it is on the box?
Old 05-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Although Tamiya does produce some pre painted bodies......the kit versions are normally NOT pre done. You'll have to learn how to paint and have great patience putting all those decals on like the rest of us.
The fantastic Tamiya manual will let you know which Tamiya brand paints to use in order to get the same paint job on the box but it really doesn't matter if you use another color or want to make it more basic.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Oh it's no problem for me at all! I was hoping it would be unpainted haha I want to make it dark grey
Old 05-31-2011, 06:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Oh I forgot a very basic question! What do i need to construct the car? just screw driver and pliers? glue?

also have some lighting questions:
I want 4 red LED for the rear lights, and 2 white LED for the front. I was just wondering what are the other way to put LED's on the cars besides drilling holes, can I put the LED behind the lights instead of making the hole? Help with what kit I need? I want to use the small circular batteries to power the LED's if it matters.
Thank You.

oh yeah, do I need to paint the lights a light shade of red for the rear or will the LED's pretty mch light it up
Old 05-31-2011, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I can't help you much with the lights since I've never put them on any of my race chassis.

As for tools. It varies a bit but with Tamiya most of the stock screws are Phillips. Shouldn't need much gluing. A new kit will come with proper lube grease and shock oil for fluid shocks although you'll end up buying different ones to adjust the suspension later on. The manual will list the needed tools. You can look up the manual at Tamiya's website before you get your kit.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

just screw driver and pliers?
Get these drivers:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=74007
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=74006

I used to strip screws during builds - those Tamiya screwdrivers fit well
on metric screws and prevent stripping them.

If you don't have a sprue cutter, I would suggest one of those as well.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=74045
Old 05-31-2011, 11:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Alright...damn haha I forgot, only HPI has RTR kits, thats alright though, gotta pay to play. Besides, what better way to know how to fix my car if something goes wrong then by being the person to build it from ground up haha.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Alright...damn haha I forgot, only HPI has RTR kits, thats alright though, gotta pay to play. Besides, what better way to know how to fix my car if something goes wrong then by being the person to build it from ground up haha.
Tamiya has the XB series: http://www.tamiya.com/english/xb/kitXB.htm
Not sure about the LEDs though - you might have to install a unit like the TLU-01 to integrate it with the car.
http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...ight/index.htm
Old 06-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Oh ok so that's what the XB series is, eh, if the XB series was better then wouldn't that be what everyone would recommend to beginners then the TB series? Or is the XB the same thing, chassis and all, just prebuilt?