Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motivation for practicing

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Tech Regular

Default Motivation for practicing

I want to create this thread mainly to see if theres anyone else out there that feels the same way Ive been feeling for the past 2 years.
Cause the thing is, the last 2 years of racing Ive felt somewhat demotivated to go to the track to practice.
And its kinda hard to explain aswell cause when Im at the track I always end up talking to people and discuss setups etc and in general have a really good time but despite that I never feel that motivated to actualy drive.
Some people might even say that like, why are you buying RC cars when you never feel like driving them? Well, the thing is I love the whole thing, I love wrenching, fiddling and setting them up. I love talking to people and discussing the cars and setups etc etc. Its not like I hate the driving part either, its alright, its not super duper awesum fun but its alright.

So yea might be kinda hard for you to understand. But what do you do to motivate yourself to go to the track and practice 2-3 times a week? And is there anyone else here thats felt the same thing?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lilja
I want to create this thread mainly to see if theres anyone else out there that feels the same way Ive been feeling for the past 2 years.
Cause the thing is, the last 2 years of racing Ive felt somewhat demotivated to go to the track to practice.
And its kinda hard to explain aswell cause when Im at the track I always end up talking to people and discuss setups etc and in general have a really good time but despite that I never feel that motivated to actualy drive.
Some people might even say that like, why are you buying RC cars when you never feel like driving them? Well, the thing is I love the whole thing, I love wrenching, fiddling and setting them up. I love talking to people and discussing the cars and setups etc etc. Its not like I hate the driving part either, its alright, its not super duper awesum fun but its alright.

So yea might be kinda hard for you to understand. But what do you do to motivate yourself to go to the track and practice 2-3 times a week? And is there anyone else here thats felt the same thing?
My motivations? Squeezing the racegirls on the podium...
Old 05-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Sounds like you're a prefect fit to be a pitman/go to guy for race buddies.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

Glad to see I'm not the only person having this issue, hope someone can shed some motivational insight. The thing that I really hate is sometimes I go threw the trouble of packing stuff up and drive to the track only to find it more fun to help others and not even unpack my own stuff, not that I mind helping but.....
Old 05-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I really don't think there is anything wrong with feeling that way. If you doin't feel like practicing 2-3 times a week, dont! You will end up getting burnt out and not want to be around RC at all.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:06 AM
Tech Initiate

I think this hobbies have different aspects :

-Competition part
-Mechanical part
-Aesthetics part

for me you enjoy the mechanical aspect more so and you are a perfect fit for a mechanic/pitman. You can also enjoy the victory in this role. So pick a guy be his mechanic try to get the car as fast as possible and fight for the podium

Good Luck.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Sure

Just be yourself man.....Whatever you want to do, just do it.....It's a free country, kinda...Try setting some personal goals. Ok I'm going to drive 2 tanks before I will shop talk and help others. then I can help all i want. 2 tanks....
Old 05-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You are not alone, what draws me to the hobby is the mechanical side of it, sure I like driving but its not everything though I am sure there are others that are the complete oppisite. I have been a crew chief or crew man on drag race cars for the last 25 years and find that part of my career winding down, but still need something technical and challenging to do and R/C it turns out is the perfect fit. It doesn't matter why you do it just have fun with it.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

Nice to know Im not alone, kinda suspected I wasnt though, which is why I made this thread :P
Not entirely sure what to reply but yea I am more into the technical aspect, although I do enjoy driving aswell. However one big thing is having a friend to share the hobby with. That you can go to the club with and even race events. That helps you motivate eachother alot.
I used to have both my brother and another friend but they arent interested in RC anymore. Yea sure the track is full of people but its never really the same.
Finding someone at the track just like that to help and pit for isnt as easy as it sounds to be honest. Most people already have a mechanic, be it a friend or their dad, besides they have their own car and I still want to have a car to fiddle with at home.

I recently got myself a Serpent 966. Used to race in onroad a couple of years ago and I remember liking it quiet alot but back then the class was completely dead, so I stopped again. Onroad has alot more fiddling to it so I might enjoy that more.

But yea, should probably just go to the track, take my stuff with me and like, drive when I feel like it and try to help people and pit for them and talk to people.
It might be important to not have your mind set on "going to the track to race for myself with my car". Instead of going to the track to have fun with other people.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I just wish I was close enough to get some practice days in to tracks. Closest is 1:45 and another 3 are 2 hours away. Practice is alot more fun when you get a few buddies to go that day with you though.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by awdcameolsx
I just wish I was close enough to get some practice days in to tracks. Closest is 1:45 and another 3 are 2 hours away. Practice is alot more fun when you get a few buddies to go that day with you though.
I'm with you-closest track to me is 1:15 away, and I regularly (almost every weekend) drive 3-4 hours to race. I'm extremely jealous of guys who live like 30mins from good tracks and that get to practice during the week. So to the OP, maybe consider yourself lucky you can go 2-3 times a week to the track, but I get where you're coming from.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The only thing that ever makes me not want to practice is just simply the fact that I'm wearing out my car while not racing..other than that i don't really like having to clean it again lol! I have a track within 10 minutes of my house, and its one of the best if not the best in North Carolina. I really have no excuse and should be out there more for sure!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

when i used to take it more seriously i would be at the track 2-3 times a week and all day on weekends. its just too expensive to keep up with a lot of practice time. fuel, tires, parts, motors etc. and i'm not much slower without the practice so i'm just here for fun on the weekends now.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Tech Addict

I get why you are just not as motivated with your brother and friends not as interested, I got that with golf when by bro and mates lost interest...it's just not as much fun going on your own.
luckily with rc offroad there is alway a good bunch of guys to hang out with, there are a few at our club that turn up a lot and never bring their gear.

some of you will be jealous at how fortunate i am with track location, 5 minute drive and 4 minutes past the track is were i work
Old 05-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

if i could i would practice everyweek. but not too many people show up on practice days. so having to flip your own car over when you crash isnt the greatest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.