Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Losi JRXS

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have the front camber mod on my losi for stock rubber carpet...i was running close to the same laptime with and without(maybe .1 slower without)

the car felt more consistent with the mod on with my setup
Old 02-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Differential Thoughts....

To all Jrx-s pros,

I've encountered a unique problem with the differentials on my Jrx-s when running foams on carpet (using JTG on ozite). The problem is the diffs are buttery smooth prior to a run, but immediately after a run, they are extremely notchy. Here's the catch, if I operate the diffs for a few moments, the notchiness goes away and the diffs become smooth again.

I know I'm missing something obvious, so here's how I build the diffs:

Sand diff rings with 400 grit
Lightly lube each diff ball with diff grease (asc silicone)
Lube the thrust bearing assembly with black grease (asc black)
Invert every other cone washer (use 5)

Initially set differential fairly loose, hold 1 wheel and apply throttle for a few moments to seat the diff, then start to tighten the diff until almost no slippage is felt while holding 1 wheel and the spur gear.

I've been told there are some potential issues with the old style thrust bearings (new ones are cased differently), and don't know if that could be the problem.

I've never had a diff be smooth, notchy, and then smooth again.
Any thoughts?
Old 02-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
3/32 x 3/16" is the bearing size, eBay has them for a buck a piece, but I'd run the Losi ones on a front spool, they seem to be a little better quality..

part#please
Old 02-13-2006, 11:05 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JRX-S Bill
Then, come to Speedworld for the Asphalt Nats in June to test yourself...No dots...Just hard barriers.
I'll be there before June testing, dont worry
Old 02-13-2006, 11:09 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by rcoldman
To all Jrx-s pros,

I've encountered a unique problem with the differentials on my Jrx-s when running foams on carpet (using JTG on ozite). The problem is the diffs are buttery smooth prior to a run, but immediately after a run, they are extremely notchy. Here's the catch, if I operate the diffs for a few moments, the notchiness goes away and the diffs become smooth again.

Initially set differential fairly loose, hold 1 wheel and apply throttle for a few moments to seat the diff, then start to tighten the diff until almost no slippage is felt while holding 1 wheel and the spur gear.

I've been told there are some potential issues with the old style thrust bearings (new ones are cased differently), and don't know if that could be the problem.

Any thoughts?
The cone washers should all be going 1 direction, not inverting every other one. For your front diff, to make the car a little easier to drive, I'd suggest running Losi brown diff grease, it's super thick, which allows you to run the diff a little looser to put less strain on the components.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by dawgmeat
part#please
I dont have a list of part #'s here, but the easiest way to get them is go to Horizon's site and just do a search for the part you are looking for. I did this one for ya LOSA6912
Old 02-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Tech Regular

Cheers Guys, One final question before the dremel comes out...

Are you still running 4 degree caster blocks? I have been running 2 degrees recently on a tight indoor, carpet track with pretty good results.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcoldman
To all Jrx-s pros,

Any thoughts?
I have had the same problem on a certain track here, (where there is a lot of diff action).... In my opinion it is the thrust bearing lube overheating. This is why after a few minutes it will feel good again. I never had much luck with the brown grease, but the Associated black grease and the ofna high-temp diff grease were better. Also, don't over tighten the diff initially either.

Hope this helps.....
Old 02-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JRXS_chris
Cheers Guys, One final question before the dremel comes out...

Are you still running 4 degree caster blocks? I have been running 2 degrees recently on a tight indoor, carpet track with pretty good results.
The amount of caster depends on the speed of the corners you're running on. If it's a small track then "2" sounds about right, but it's something you'll need to try and decide for yourself....
Old 02-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Tech Regular

Anyone tried mounting a sway bar in the new found, ex-shock position hole in the camber mod. A la Mi2?
Old 02-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I dont have a list of part #'s here, but the easiest way to get them is go to Horizon's site and just do a search for the part you are looking for. I did this one for ya LOSA6912
or do a serch on e-bay, i got them for a buck a bearing, instead of the 5 per that losi charges...
Old 02-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's something I did to make my diffs stay smooth longer. Since the Losi thrust is kind of open in the middle, mine seems to get gritty real fast. When I rebuild, the diff rings aren't the problem, it is always the thrust bearing. My TC3 diffs stayed good for 2 to 3 years because they were more closed in. I simply took a piece of Lexan & cut it to fit around the diff housing & then put a small #2 screw into the gray plastic to hold it in. Make sure you don't turn the screw in too far. R.W.
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi JRXS-000_0277.jpg  
Old 02-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'll be there before June testing, dont worry

REALLY
Old 02-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by runnin rc10
Alright guys, first off, LOVE this car. Only one serious problem thus far.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I was having problems with getting bindage inbetween my servo and motor. So after taking out my current servo, and comparing, I decided it was just too big. Put in a different one and now have plently of space between the motor and servo horn. But the biggest problem didnt solve itself as I wished it would

If I go into a turn, and my wheels glance the pipe (we arent all perfect ) Its like my servo gets stuck into the direction I was turning and wont undo itself until Ive told the marshall that my wheels need to be "popped" back into place. By this time, Im 2-3 laps down, and have wasted a run. At first I thought it was just my car, maybe my servo selection. But the other guy at my track who runs a JRX-S (very fast guy BTW) had this happen last weekend. And I know he runs better servos than I. So my question would be if anyone has had this problem, if so (even if not) is there anyway I can fix it? Its killin me not being given a shot at the win because I tap a pipe that wouldnt have made a big deal anyway....

I had this same problem a few times bafore, and traced it to be the small bit of flashing on the inside of the steering knuckle where it would contact the castor bloack. If you file it a little smoother, then it should not stick anymore.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by POOKYT
One other thing to check is that I believe when the car first came out, either the manual was wrong or the parts were numbered wrong, but it seems to me that some brands of servos take a different servo horn than what the manual says. Can anybody else remember what the deal was?

Brant
Brant
I had asimular prob with my steering locking out when I first built my car, and had built it with the left front drive shaft in the wrong slot in the diff half. Only a observation but take a peek RCOLDMAN
Cheers Malc THE CAN MAN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.