"How To Properly Build And Break In a Ball Differential and Slipper Clutch"

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 02:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Great Job!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How do you guys set the slipper 2 come up a couple of inches without accidentally barking the diff.I build the diff and break in per video and when I think diff is safely tight enough I go to set my slipper and after a few times trying to reach the correct slipper adjustment my diff barks.I ruined a set of rings once doing this just after one little bark using ceramic diff and thrust balls and the diff felt really gritty.I just rebuilt using carbide diff balls with ceramic thrust balls.Not wanting to take a chance on ruining my new diff I just went ahead and tightened the diff snug then set my slipper then backed the diff back out 1/4 turn from snug then re-tightened 1/8 turn and it seems fine and feels real smooth.Is this a safe technique or am I risking flat spotting my diff rings.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:41 AM
Tech Rookie

THanks for the post
Old 09-19-2012, 07:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by airwoods
How do you guys set the slipper 2 come up a couple of inches without accidentally barking the diff.I build the diff and break in per video and when I think diff is safely tight enough I go to set my slipper and after a few times trying to reach the correct slipper adjustment my diff barks.I ruined a set of rings once doing this just after one little bark using ceramic diff and thrust balls and the diff felt really gritty.I just rebuilt using carbide diff balls with ceramic thrust balls.Not wanting to take a chance on ruining my new diff I just went ahead and tightened the diff snug then set my slipper then backed the diff back out 1/4 turn from snug then re-tightened 1/8 turn and it seems fine and feels real smooth.Is this a safe technique or am I risking flat spotting my diff rings.
I just make a few easy runs with a loose slipper until broken in. Then I tighten the diff tighter then where I know I'm going to run it. It's not all the way down but close to it. I then set the slipper and slightly loosen the diff. Start running and loosen the diff until you get it where you want it. I haven't had any issues with this process.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default WHAT CAUSES A DIFF TO LOOSEN ITSELF?

I recently had a brand new diff in my 22SCT loosen itself, therefore destroying itself. Yes, all parts were cleaned, the diff was broken in properly and the slipper was slipping well before the diff could. Now, I am no expert, but I have been building ball diffs since the BK1 days. I have never had a diff loosen on my.
Does anyone know FOR A FACT why this might happen?
Thanks, Brian
Old 09-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

not familiar w/ the losi diffs, but if its the same as the AE diffs, it can be installed in the gearbox either way, thrust screw head facing the slipper side or not.

which side did you have it facing?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Asharus
not familiar w/ the losi diffs, but if its the same as the AE diffs, it can be installed in the gearbox either way, thrust screw head facing the slipper side or not.

which side did you have it facing?
Losi diffs are installed with the screw head on the left, away from the slipper. This is how I installed it.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

good discussion regarding that here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...read-1287.html
Old 09-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Asharus
good discussion regarding that here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...read-1287.html
Thanks Asharus, unfortunately no help there. I read 10 pages and they only want to blame the screw loosening itself on the diff being backwards. I've already stated that the diff was installed correctly.
To restate my issue, I have built and ran with great success quite a few Losi/TLR diffs, over 50 if I had to put a number on it. The diff in question was built, installed and broken in correctly. The slipper was set correctly to slip before the diff could slip. The reason I am asking the question is to see if anyone has ever identified what DOES cause the diff to loosen itself. Ive speculated along with TLR team drivers but none of us has been able to come to a conclusion as to what actually causes it to happen.
While I appreciate peoples guesses and ideas, I am trying to find out if anyone "KNOWS FOR A FACT" what causes the diff to loosen itself.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by losi b
I recently had a brand new diff in my 22SCT loosen itself, therefore destroying itself. Yes, all parts were cleaned, the diff was broken in properly and the slipper was slipping well before the diff could. Now, I am no expert, but I have been building ball diffs since the BK1 days. I have never had a diff loosen on my.
Does anyone know FOR A FACT why this might happen?
Thanks, Brian
Did you try replacing the nut & screw?
There is always that one in a million chance a part will fail. Just like there's one in a million chance you will buy the winning lottery ticket. Make a million of anything and there is a chance one will not be perfect. I know that isn't the answer you want to hear but try replacing it.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:40 PM
Tech Adept

I am very thankful for this Stickied thread, plus your vids on youtube. I now have a very smooth diff in my XXX-SCT.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up building and breaking in a ball diff

Great vis racer53 very helpful
Old 10-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi b
Thanks Asharus, unfortunately no help there. I read 10 pages and they only want to blame the screw loosening itself on the diff being backwards. I've already stated that the diff was installed correctly.
To restate my issue, I have built and ran with great success quite a few Losi/TLR diffs, over 50 if I had to put a number on it. The diff in question was built, installed and broken in correctly. The slipper was set correctly to slip before the diff could slip. The reason I am asking the question is to see if anyone has ever identified what DOES cause the diff to loosen itself. Ive speculated along with TLR team drivers but none of us has been able to come to a conclusion as to what actually causes it to happen.
While I appreciate peoples guesses and ideas, I am trying to find out if anyone "KNOWS FOR A FACT" what causes the diff to loosen itself.
I have heard issues with the losi diff screw. I know several people are using the AE diff screw and nut.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I think the Losi diff-nut is more to blame than the screw. It's aluminium. I've had two go loose and replaced them with a stronger metal nut and the problem went-away. The threads pulled out of one and I had not touched it in months.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ridepate
I think the Losi diff-nut is more to blame than the screw. It's aluminium. I've had two go loose and replaced them with a stronger metal nut and the problem went-away.
Losi has used aluminum diff nuts for a very long time . The only issue for people having Problems is that it requires tightening a lot more than their previous diffs . I have the 22, 22T , and two 22SCTs with stock diff parts and yet to break the screw or nut .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.