Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tire baking

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 09:24 AM
Tech Regular

Default tire baking

a while back i asked on here how to get a tire off a rim. well, today i have to revise that question. how do i get a rim off a tire?

i have a set of losi directionals that i love up front, but im switching to velocity rims for simplicities sake. how do i get the tire off the stoopid wheel without damaging the tire?

i know baking dries up the glue, but A)will it work for rubber black CA, and B) will it damage the tire?

thanks
Old 09-26-2004, 06:27 PM
Tech Adept

I have a freind who has done this (LosiFromHell), it dosnt damage the tires at all, and im prytty sure it works on tire CA
Old 09-26-2004, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by DemonLosi
I have a freind who has done this (LosiFromHell), it dosnt damage the tires at all, and im prytty sure it works on tire CA
NOOOOOOOOOO DO NOT DO IT!!!!! I RUINED my proline Holeshots AND Proline Edges doing this, and I'm stuck to replace them all over again. If I were you, I'd try another method. Boiling might work, but if the tires are preglued, then they do NOT come off. However Baking is another story, which I haven't tried.

I hear that you can use acetone to get them off.... but I'd ask someone else before you try that.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:37 PM
Tech Adept

Sory, I thought he had stated that he was boiling them but I missread, do not BAKE your tires, youll fry um
Old 09-26-2004, 07:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Boy am I confused. One person says don't bake them. Another says bake them. Boil them, use acetone, or whatever.

I personally have tried all these methods, and am happiest with baking them. Boiling doesn't work for me, and acetone usually ruins both the tire and rim.

However, I have had great success with baking. I put them in my toaster oven at 350 for 10-15 minutes, and the tires come right off. You may have to remove some of the excess glue but the tire will be just fine. The foam will need to be replaced, but they only cost a few dollars. I have a set of tires I did this to several months ago and they still work perfectly.

Give it a try and see what happens.

BY THE WAY, YOU WILL NOT FRY THE TIRES NO MATTER WHAT ANYBODY SAYS.!!!!!:-)
Old 09-26-2004, 08:33 PM
Tech Regular

lol dually noted

well i ask because i had RPM clawz on my car with 1/4" axles, and proline dirt hawgs. the dirt hawgs are my favorite bashing tire of all time.

now, im switching to 3/16ths CVDs this week, and i got new rims with fuzzies on them, and new front rims to match (dish rims) with losi edges.

my goal is to get the losi edges off my OLD claw rims so i have spares, and id like to get my dirt hawgs off so i can mount them to 3/16 dish rims and switch tires between home and the track.

the dirt hawgs have almost no wear on them and its a shame to throw away perfectly good tires. the bad news is i used black rubberized CA to glue up the clawz rims, so im not sure if the black CA will react to baking the same as regular CA.

i run the dirt hawgs with no foam anyway, they grip like pissed off mofos on gravel and pavement
Old 09-27-2004, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Beetlebz,Soak your tires in some acetone over night.this won't hurt your rim or tires it works great. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- losi XXX-NT os 12 tr rear exuast engine trinty 5 cell R/R hard anodized monster diffgraphite lunsford titanium buckles drake pipe steps and razor ribs gettin a ambit transponder

Last edited by Sofast-NT; 09-27-2004 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

But it will kill the foams.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There is also the other alternative of buying new tires and rims, just a thought.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:52 PM
Tech Regular

i dont care about the foams, and i dont care about the rims.

and im not opposed to buying new tires and dishes to go with them, but id just hate to toss a perfectly good set of tires because theyre attached to rims i no longer need
Old 09-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Lets see now, rims don't matter to you. And you don't use foams. So all you want to do is remove the tires from the rims. Based on my experience, I still say the best method would be to bake them. Acetone would work as well in this case. Try baking first and if that doesn't work, then try the acetone. At the worst all you are out is a set of tires, which you can't use right now anyway. Good luck, and I hope it all works out for you.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

I wouldnt bake my tires ive used acetone several times and my rims an tires arent screwed up.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by gquinlan
Boy am I confused. One person says don't bake them. Another says bake them. Boil them, use acetone, or whatever.

I personally have tried all these methods, and am happiest with baking them. Boiling doesn't work for me, and acetone usually ruins both the tire and rim.

However, I have had great success with baking. I put them in my toaster oven at 350 for 10-15 minutes, and the tires come right off. You may have to remove some of the excess glue but the tire will be just fine. The foam will need to be replaced, but they only cost a few dollars. I have a set of tires I did this to several months ago and they still work perfectly.

Give it a try and see what happens.

BY THE WAY, YOU WILL NOT FRY THE TIRES NO MATTER WHAT ANYBODY SAYS.!!!!!:-)
You must not've boiled them long enough. I boil my tires for 1 hour and they come right off, kinda like they were never glued. It ruins the chrome finish if there is one (But i dont use chromed wheels...). It can also fade the dye if you dyed them.

I've tried acetone and freezing also. Freezing makes the tires very stiff and hard to work with, and the glue doesn't come off for me. Acetone won't work well either, maybe if you had some pure stuff, but i used acetone nail polish remover in a syringe with a small tip.

I haven't tried baking because boiling works perfectly for me..
Old 09-30-2004, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

OK, regarding acetone....

Nail polish remover is not the same thing as concentrated acetone - not to mention the fact that I have never seen a gallon of nail polish remover sold as such...

Acetone will save the rims to re-use, but in many cases it will "change" the compound of the tire (i.e. making the tire feel harder than initially.) Acetone will NOT work on all rims - in many cases it will destroy the rims - Yokomo rims some to mind - but it will work just fine on Losi and AE off road rims. Acetone also requires the use of a heavily ventilated area (read OUTSIDE) as the fumes are quite toxic - not to mention quite flammable. The tires will need to sit in the acetone overnight for best results

The bottom line is that if you are looking to save your tires, don't use acetone. Both baking and boiling are good alternatives, but may not work on all glues.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

I understand about the acetone, but some people at my track said nail polish remover would. I actually removed a tire with it, didnt really damage the rim or tire, but it left little chunks of rubber from the bead on the rim..nothing too bad though. It took forever though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.