Wiki Posts
Search

new to on-road

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default new to on-road

I am new to on-road and want to get started.I am looking at a used Top phanton or a tc5,which would be the better car? or is neither? any advise on what I should get? I will be running a Tekin RS and I have a 6.5/8.5/10.5 brushless motors.

Thanks for your help..
Old 05-07-2011, 01:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rifraf
I am new to on-road and want to get started.I am looking at a used Top phanton or a tc5,which would be the better car? or is neither? any advise on what I should get? I will be running a Tekin RS and I have a 6.5/8.5/10.5 brushless motors.

Thanks for your help..
I'm not sure an RS will run a 6.5 or not, I think there's a limit on it (someone with more accurate info can jump in hopefully)

If you're just starting out, either car will be good, but my advise would be to head down to the track you're planning on racing at and have a talk with the people that run there. See what's popular on the track but also (and maybe more importantly) what the spares backup is like from your local hobby store.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Tekin RS has a motor limit of 5 turn for brushless motors. So 6.5 will be fine.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for your help..
Buy an XRAY and be done with it, 009 or T3 2011, You wont regret it, The TC5 and TOP car are good cars, if You want to keep buying parts to keep them in tip top performance shape, The Xray doesn't degrade over time like other cars.

People will disagree, but mark my words.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Thanks for your help..
The more I see this question, the more I realize that there are many great cars to choose from and everyone has a different opinion. A while back I would've told you you'd be crazy to start off with something like an X-Ray. Way to much car for a newbie. But now...with the economy the way it is and people selling off stuff for such great prices...Buy what you can get for the best price and grow into the car.
Xray, Associated, Losi, Top, 3 Racing, Team Magic ....They're all good in one way or another and NONE of them are perfect.
Many, many, many other posts like this have always suggested the same thing. Buy whats good for the type of class you'll be running and it's always good to buy whats most easily supported locally. If you don't mind the problems in having to buy parts online....then it's all wide open. Good Luck and HAVE FUN !!!