Wiki Posts
Search

Driving the fun way, vs. the "fastest" way

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)
Default Driving the fun way, vs. the "fastest" way

Got down to some RC racing over the weekend, first in a long time but hey it came back to me pretty quickly . One thing I started thinking about is the style I drive with... I like to run lines that are "fun" to me. Problem is, I know they are not the most efficient or fastest lines. I can nail them over and over, issue is I'm so set in my ways sometimes it's hard to change it up.

I like to run into corners, especially after a long straight, fast and wide- I also like to get the car a tad loose and square it off. Basically waiting 'till the last minute and scrubbing off the excess speed by drifting a tad. It's a blast to put some "style" on it and get a little loose, but I know it's not making for the absolute fastest laps.

Part of the reason, I think, is from running 2wd mod buggy in the past on less-than-perfect tracks...another is the number of times I've been hacked by guys that have a ton of HP but lack skills... I found over time sometimes you have to run a bit wide, let the hacker take the inside, and wait for them to crash so that progress can be made without being taken out.

I'm trying to learn the "slow is fast" method, keeping it efficient. Problem is I get bored . How about you?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Some people would argue that wining is the "fun way" and those that win are in control at all times. Personally that is my Achilles heel that especially when I'm not racing often enough I am Fast is slow. Tend to overshoot especially after the straight, and no matter how good my car is I'm just past it's limit too often. Something about slowing down to be faster I find bass ackwards. That is my #1 goal this year though, stay in control and get consistent. If you have 1-2 laps that are 5/10's under the rest, you need to find out why and make the change to be fast. I'm 1/2 way there.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Verndog
Some people would argue that wining is the "fun way" and those that win are in control at all times. Personally that is my Achilles heel that especially when I'm not racing often enough I am Fast is slow. Tend to overshoot especially after the straight, and no matter how good my car is I'm just past it's limit too often. Something about slowing down to be faster I find bass ackwards. That is my #1 goal this year though, stay in control and get consistent. If you have 1-2 laps that are 5/10's under the rest, you need to find out why and make the change to be fast. I'm 1/2 way there.
I hear ya'. I can nail consistent laps, they just aren't the "perfect lines". When I run the "ideal lines" I get bored. If I'm out in the open with no one to take me out, I let it hang loose a bit. It's when I'm trying to defend a position that I tame it down and get a lot tighter.

What is more fun than coming of that straight and slamming the car in as hard as possible ? To bad the clock doesn't agree....
Old 05-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

There should be a "style" handicap. THose that race great lines consistently are makinf less of a spectacle, so don't get any change.
Those that get loose and throw the car around like a rag doll should get a few seconds a lap. Just 'cos it looks cool.
Can someone mention that to ROAR please, i'm not a member.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

You can drive however you want. Whatever is fun for you.

You also don't have to race. You can drive rc cars without competing and it is quite fun also
Old 05-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JR007
Can someone mention that to ROAR please, i'm not a member.
Oh I'm pretty sure ROAR has other things to worry about . Official driving-style judges now that would be funny.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Tech Initiate

I think people forget that why they got into this hobby (hint: for fun!).

I think its great that you are not following other people and just having fun out there. Being last and having fun is better than taking first and having no fun at all.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Try changing it up to "Smooth is fast". I drive the same way more or less. Heavy brake, dive into turn, accelerate into proper line for next turn. Am I an a main driver ? Don't know. hard to tell in my club where most of the other drivers are newer or totally new. I guess it's good to be the Prez !! The one thing I've never done is get all goofy about "electronic" help from the esc or radio. I'll set the basics on the esc to help with drag break and such but nothing crazy like all this boost , gotta use a laptop mumbo jumbo. Hell, I don't even use DR on the radio and I prefer steering to be linear to the max. If i twitch...the car twitches. Forces me to relax on the wheel. I compare racing to dancing. Find the rhythm and it's smooth. My guy's tell me I look like Stevie Wonder up on the stand !!

Last edited by Evoracer; 05-05-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Try changing it up to "Smooth is fast". I drive the same way more or less. Heavy brake, dive into turn, accelerate into proper line for next turn. Am I an a main driver ? Don't know. hard to tell in my club where most of the other drivers are newer or totally new. I guess it's good to be the Prez !! The one thing I've never done is get all goofy about "electronic" help form the esc or radio. I'll set the basics on the esc to help with drag break and such but nothing crazy like all this boost , goot use a laptop mumbo jumbo. Hell, I don't even use DR on the radio and I prefer steering to be linear to the max. If i twitch...the car twitches. Forces me to relax on the wheel. I compare racing to dancing. Find the rythem and it's smooth. My guy's tell me I look like Stevie Wonder up on the stand !!
NO laptops or Nasa-grade stand alone equipment to get that .000000000000001 percent of extra performance? What year are you living in man! . I kid... actually all jokes aside I'm pretty much the same. My local track is fairly small so getting a good basic setting on the ESC is all I need. Like I say, I can run clean laps, but yeah I could go a tad smoother. Sometimes I watch pro-level races on youtube and those guys are on another plane. They make it look easy, in fact somewhat boring at times. They have those things dialed like slot-cars.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think you should work on your smooth line and save your current driving style to fall back on for defense against hackers.