Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

hey steve
i have been running into glitching problems in two of my cars that received brushless gtb upgrades. prior to changing the esc i have never had problems with glitching in theses cars. it happens at full throttle. the only strangr thing i have noticed is that both these cars have different staus lights at neutral throttle compared to my gtb in my sedan thas runs fine with no glitching. ive tried resetting the esc back to default and still nothing. and i am certain that it is not the radio/receiver.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:39 AM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by racer x 1
hey steve
i have been running into glitching problems in two of my cars that received brushless gtb upgrades. prior to changing the esc i have never had problems with glitching in theses cars. it happens at full throttle. the only strangr thing i have noticed is that both these cars have different staus lights at neutral throttle compared to my gtb in my sedan thas runs fine with no glitching. ive tried resetting the esc back to default and still nothing. and i am certain that it is not the radio/receiver.
Now when you say the ESCs were upgraded what do you mean...? Did you send in old GTBs and get different LiPo Enabled GTBs back...?

What kind of thing is happening at full throttle? Is it a throttle cut out... or do you get a steering glitch?

What kind of motor and batteries are you using?

Email me at [email protected] with the responses and we can get you sorted out!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

car1: is a b4 novak 8.5 motor and just got a refurbished gtb from you guys yesterday and is running 25c 2 cell lipo. at full throttle i get a steering glitch and throttle cut out.
car 2: is a rc12r5 running a used gtb that i got from a friend. this car is running 10.5 novak motor on four cells. and this car gets the same steering glitch and throttle cut out.

the common factor i got with both was the status lights that are different from my working gtb in my sedan. both of the esc's are the originals before the lipo cut-off circuitry was added.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Steve on his new guitar! meedleeeeeeemeeedleeeeeMEEEEEEEEEEE~~~~~~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bloiue3mSuA
Old 06-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by J.Filipow
Steve on his new guitar! meedleeeeeeemeeedleeeeeMEEEEEEEEEEE~~~~~~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bloiue3mSuA
long live strong bad. that was almost too perfect. that names have been changed to protect the innocent.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

When it's time, Steve, here are some great ideas for the name of your band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOWyEX9Imk8
Old 06-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Steve,

I have a Havoc with a novak fan, I can't finish a 5 minute race to save my life. I took it to Novak a month and a half ago, and the guy with glasses reprogrammed it for me and it seemed to be fine, but now it just can't last neither a 4 for 5 minute heat. Everybody thought it was my driving style because I used brakes but I changed my style and stopped using brakes and that only allowed me to finish 1 5 minute heat. I run a 17.5 geared at 3.7. I turned lipo cutoff off and changed the throttle curve to linear. What can I/Should I do? Can I trade my havoc in for a GTB and pay a difference? Or is there some sort of magic hope you can do for it? I live in fullerton and have no problems driving to novak to get this thing fixed.

Thank you,
Joe.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:39 PM
The Evicerator

Hey Joe,

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble.

Email me at [email protected] with your name and order# you got on your service invoice and that way I can see if you got the very latest updates and we will go from there!

Originally Posted by skiptomylou6
Steve,

I have a Havoc with a novak fan, I can't finish a 5 minute race to save my life. I took it to Novak a month and a half ago, and the guy with glasses reprogrammed it for me and it seemed to be fine, but now it just can't last neither a 4 for 5 minute heat. Everybody thought it was my driving style because I used brakes but I changed my style and stopped using brakes and that only allowed me to finish 1 5 minute heat. I run a 17.5 geared at 3.7. I turned lipo cutoff off and changed the throttle curve to linear. What can I/Should I do? Can I trade my havoc in for a GTB and pay a difference? Or is there some sort of magic hope you can do for it? I live in fullerton and have no problems driving to novak to get this thing fixed.

Thank you,
Joe.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just gotta give props to Novak for a rock solid ESC!

It handle two 10 turn singles in my Clodbuster, and saturday, had a big race in the afternoon with my Yokomo, and while my LRP came loose from the motor can screws, my silver can is a constant full throttle drive around the track (I know, not much load, but still! ) and even when both the 13.5 and silver can hit the 240*F mark (I rarely let go of the throttle... Sideways FTW! lol) my GTB never broke 85*F, and ambient temp was, 82*F!

My tires got to over 130*F after a 7 minute heat.

I just need to save up so I can upgrade to the LiPo cut-off version... I have a first release version

How well does the LiPo cutoff work? Will it cut the throttle the first time voltage hits the limit (and not again until it powers off), or will it do it every time? If I remember right, my Mamba Max's in my Clod are the first way...
Old 06-16-2009, 01:23 PM
The Evicerator

Drperry,

The LiPo cut off works in that it keeps track of where the battery voltage is at and once it starts getting close to the critical safe voltage you will be warned with "throttle blips" that the cut off is coming.

Once the threshold has been reached to the speed control's satisfaction, the power to the motor will be cut off.

Originally Posted by drperry
Just gotta give props to Novak for a rock solid ESC!

It handle two 10 turn singles in my Clodbuster, and saturday, had a big race in the afternoon with my Yokomo, and while my LRP came loose from the motor can screws, my silver can is a constant full throttle drive around the track (I know, not much load, but still! ) and even when both the 13.5 and silver can hit the 240*F mark (I rarely let go of the throttle... Sideways FTW! lol) my GTB never broke 85*F, and ambient temp was, 82*F!

My tires got to over 130*F after a 7 minute heat.

I just need to save up so I can upgrade to the LiPo cut-off version... I have a first release version

How well does the LiPo cutoff work? Will it cut the throttle the first time voltage hits the limit (and not again until it powers off), or will it do it every time? If I remember right, my Mamba Max's in my Clod are the first way...
Old 06-18-2009, 06:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default TRAXXAS XL-5 and the Li-Po cutoff

Any news on making the the 2C Li-Po cutoff compatible with the blue Traxxas XL-5 for those of us who run stock class Slash with Li-Po?
Old 06-18-2009, 08:00 AM
The Evicerator

Bill,

We have not found a solution to make the Smart Stop work with the XL-5 controller...

We have not had this problem with any other controller from any other manufacturer with the Smart Stop.

Originally Posted by billb60
Any news on making the the 2C Li-Po cutoff compatible with the blue Traxxas XL-5 for those of us who run stock class Slash with Li-Po?
Old 06-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

quick ? steve, ive got a 4 cell gtb. one of the little wires for the switch on the wiring side of the speed control came off from a bad solder joint. i got it used and when i went to put the wire back in, when cleaning it up i noticed all the copper was gone from one of the wire holes and it wont stick. is it possible to send it in to fix that and how much? im wondering if its just easier to pick up another.

Last edited by buffalobill989; 06-28-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:02 AM
The Evicerator

Hello Bill,

It sounds like somehow the PCB plating got damaged at some point by desoldering/soldering that wire.

Unfortunately there's no good way to re-plate that hole and resoldering the wire to a trace on the surface of the board is something I wouldn't try attempting.

Your best bet would be to send it in and have it replaced with a remanufactured ESC for $69.

Originally Posted by buffalobill989
quick ? steve, ive got a 4 cell gtb. one of the little wires for the switch on the wiring side of the speed control came off from a bad solder joint. i got it used and when i went to put the wire back in, when cleaning it up i noticed all the copper was gone from one of the wire holes and it wont stick. is it possible to send it in to fix that and how much? im wondering if its just easier to pick up another.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

thats what i figured. thanks alot steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.