Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss >

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Old 10-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Steve,

What are your thaughts on the use of caffine or energy drinks in racing? There's a thread on here about the possible benefits of caffine and racing and i was interested in the opinion of a professional racer such as yourself.

Also, what do you think about the use of chemical warfare (aka the fart, the Walt, pull a finger etc.) on the driver's stand before the main? Personally, I think that it's against the Geneva convention so it shouldn't be allowed. I would think that it's just as distracting for the one who laid down the fog as it is for the rest of us.

As always, I'm patiently awaiting your response on these extremely important racing issues.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:02 AM
The Evicerator

Fred,

Regarding caffine, I have never had much luck dosing up on large quantities of caffine before a run.

I have read the thread to which you are referring to, but I have always found that I do better when I am more calm. The caffine seems to make me twitchy and more prone to making unforced errors.

I guess I never really felt the need to have "faster reaction time" than what I currently have...

Regarding the second half of your question... I myself have been guilty of a few of those indiscretions over the years... but I definitely do not make a habit of them.

I tend to get distracted by a few driver's stand antics, such as the constant "excuse talker guy" ... the guys storming off the driver's stand... or the guy rubbing his elbows up against me or somehow impeding my view of the track.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/12ths

Hi Steve,

Firstly must state am a complete novice to 1/12th 4 cell.

Can I use a super sport or GTB in a 1/12th if so what mode do I need to setup the speedies.Am thinking of running a 13.5 or a 5800
I also have a servo from 6 cell days a KO PS 51s would this work with 4 cells. Do I need to run a receiver pack or buy a new servo?
Old 10-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Steve-

A couple of weeks ago my GTB went up in smoke sitting still. It was about 9 months old. I plugged it all it, set the car on the trrack, got on the drivers stand, pulled the throttle to go and it glitched then smoke started puring out along with all the black goop.

Was making my second practice run when it happened. Probably about 30 min between runs. Using a novak motor as well.

What is causing this type of failure?

Thanks.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Steve- Are you planning on coming down for the regional race at Ripon?
Old 10-14-2008, 09:33 AM
The Evicerator

Originally Posted by yeahyeah
Hi Steve,

Firstly must state am a complete novice to 1/12th 4 cell.

Can I use a super sport or GTB in a 1/12th if so what mode do I need to setup the speedies.Am thinking of running a 13.5 or a 5800
I also have a servo from 6 cell days a KO PS 51s would this work with 4 cells. Do I need to run a receiver pack or buy a new servo?
Yeahyeah,

Those ESCs will work in a 1/12, but you will probably have a hard time getting them to fit underneath most of the more modern ultra-low 1/12 bodies.

I am not farmilliar with that servo, but I have seen many different servo solutions used in 1/12 cars before...but most people tend to run the smaller sized servos.

You will not need to run a receiver pack.

You might want to look into finding one of our 4 cell GTBs for your 1/12 being as that the low profile will definately help.

Originally Posted by bigdog xxx-s
Steve-

A couple of weeks ago my GTB went up in smoke sitting still. It was about 9 months old. I plugged it all it, set the car on the trrack, got on the drivers stand, pulled the throttle to go and it glitched then smoke started puring out along with all the black goop.

Was making my second practice run when it happened. Probably about 30 min between runs. Using a novak motor as well.

What is causing this type of failure?

Thanks.
Bigdog,

It's really hard to say what caused your failure without seeing the ESC and even then it can be difficult to diagnose.

The engineers will say that something needed to happen to the ESC at some point for it to fail... either a short... reverse input voltage... exposed to high temperatures, etc.

It's possible that some sort of event previously weakened a component in the ESC and it got subsequently weaker culminating in the failure you just experienced.

Originally Posted by STLNLST
Steve- Are you planning on coming down for the regional race at Ripon?
Hey Clint,

I would absolutely LOVE to, but I am in the middle of trying to get moved out of my current apartment... so it's not looking like I will be able to get up there!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
Yeahyeah,
Hey Clint,

I would absolutely LOVE to, but I am in the middle of trying to get moved out of my current apartment... so it's not looking like I will be able to get up there!

Don't worry.....I will let out a EEEEEEEWWWWWWOOOOOOPPPPPP in the pits just for you
Old 10-14-2008, 12:17 PM
The Evicerator

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2008, 08:21 AM
The Evicerator

http://www.tsgnet.com/pres.php?id=46...vcb&altl=Tufwf

Old 10-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Tech Adept

You Got My VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 11:00 PM
The Evicerator

TTT
Old 10-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
Don't worry.....I will let out a EEEEEEEWWWWWWOOOOOOPPPPPP in the pits just for you
It just won't be the same...
Old 10-21-2008, 08:57 AM
The Evicerator

I know I know... Trust me, I'd rather be there to blow out your eardrums with an authentic Eowoop too!

Old 10-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Advil
It just won't be the same...
I can do Steve. Where's the faith?????

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.