Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how to install a centax clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 07:32 PM
Tech Adept

Default how to install a centax clutch

i was wondering if anyone can help me. i just got a v one r and just purchased a centax clutch for the car. i just started playing with nitro for about 6-8 months. i have a hpi super nitro rally. i want to kno if anyone can teach me how to install it. im a newb =(
Old 09-21-2004, 07:40 PM
Tech Rookie

As long as you follow the manufacturer's directions, and pay CLOSE attention to appropriate shimming of the clutchbell, your car will be a rocket out of the hole. Go to rc car action's website, they have a good article on centax clutches. You can also do a google search for: "centax clutch install" , that's what I did.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:46 PM
Tech Rookie

http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=10534

the above link has some good info, and color diagrams...
Old 09-21-2004, 08:23 PM
Tech Addict

one thing to note is the direction of the thrust bearing. the two "shields" have different inner diameters. the smaller diameter shield should be on the outside/away from engine while the slightly larger diameter one should be inside/towards the engine.

and before you think i'm crazy, you can double check with a good pair of caliper/micrometer and you'll see there is a slight difference. g'luck.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:26 PM
Tech Adept

the bad thing is that i got this second handed. it didnt come with manual. i can refer to the site u gave me. thanks man
Old 09-22-2004, 12:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default crazy!

Icon pointed out a very over looked prob with the thrust bearing! Good advice also I grease the thrust bearing every two or three races and constantly check the end play in the clutch bell and shim accordingley If you don't it tends to loosen up and takes out your thrust bearing. I like mine to have a very tiny bit of play but the bell spins freeley. Sounds like a hassle? Maybe but if you are racing with out a centax chances are the guy that just blew by you has one!
Attached Thumbnails how to install a centax clutch-imga3183e.psd.jpg  
Old 09-22-2004, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Josh Cyrul website has a pretty good section on installing and setting up a centax clutch.

I think the addy is: www.cefx.net