Search
Like Tree630Likes

Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks guys for the support.... I never raced for way too long to be able to comeback anywhere near the front of the pack. If desert makes Amains, then good for him, but my mods are only there to help reduce overall weight, and rotational mass....Traction rolling was reduced or eliminated, so I am very thankful .... Now I can start working on other aspects that will help me close the gap... I got until March to get the car up to pace, so we'll see if I can do it. If not, I will get one of the Amain drivers to take my car around the track a few times to see if my skills are the real problem...
By the way, the guys in my main all had the latest and greatest with more tracktime too, so I don't feel bad about my first day back at the track....
Desert should be happy that I finally made it back to the track, instead of just posting here with no real feedback....

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 01-12-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I watched the "B" main with Bert's car in it. Not sure how they produce those videos, but it did show the action on the track pretty well. Good to see actual proof that Bert finally made it out to a track.

I wonder how tall the driver's stand is at that track because it looked like everyone in that heat wasn't running a very smooth or efficient line around that layout.
There was no C main, it's not that surprising to see the lowest main struggle. Watch the A main and see if they're much better.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
There was no C main, it's not that surprising to see the lowest main struggle. Watch the A main and see if they're much better.
Eh, I wasn't that impressed with the a-main either. Not a lot of good racing or clean passing.

I think the nature of the layout was the issue. It was mostly a left/right/left/right type of track. Not a lot of good places to set up a pass, which makes people make overly aggressive moves and/or try to run too tight of a line to make up time. The best place to pass might have been the end of the straight, but it led into a diminishing radius left turn into a short straight and then back to a right turn. Hard to make a pass stick with those type of corners where you end up on the outside of a turn after trying to pass.

You could see the drivers stand at the top of the screen and it looked fairly nice and tall. Should have given everyone a good view of the track.

Here is the link to the A-main results/video...

http://360v2.liverc.com/results/?p=v...sult&id=723725
Old 01-12-2017, 03:58 PM
Tech Adept

Feel free to ignore Bert's "bad advice". And so can everyone else.

But good on him for showing up, and being honest about his driving instead of making excuses. He's a true hobbyist and a tinkerer, something that is missing from RC more and more these days.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks buddy....
My next step in the lightening parts is to try lowering the tire weight a bit.... Any advice would be appreciated, but I wanted to chuck up a forstner bit in my drill and shave a few grams away from the rim. Four grams off each tire would be perfect, but I don't know if that's considered cheating or tinkering too much...
Old 01-12-2017, 04:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ditto,ErikO
Old 01-12-2017, 04:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Thanks buddy....
My next step in the lightening parts is to try lowering the tire weight a bit.... Any advice would be appreciated, but I wanted to chuck up a forstner bit in my drill and shave a few grams away from the rim. Four grams off each tire would be perfect, but I don't know if that's considered cheating or tinkering too much...
I wouldn't bother. Your drivetrain should be plenty light enough, you just need more practice. And maybe some fresh batteries if the ones you are using have been sitting unused on the shelf during your hiatus.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:33 PM
Tech Champion

Ok... I guess I'll have to postpone that tire mod until later...
Old 01-12-2017, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RiderZ
Car handles well.The chassis is still very rigid after cutting the side.Seems my TRF shocks are lost in the mail.Ebay seller is refunding tomorrow.Need to find another set.
I gave you some bad info. The TB04 gear diff fits in the 414, but for it to fit in the TA04. You would have to grind material out of the gear case
Old 01-12-2017, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
I gave you some bad info. The TB04 gear diff fits in the 414, but for it to fit in the TA04. You would have to grind material out of the gear case

I don't suppose you know what works for a front spool for the TA-04?
Old 01-12-2017, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Evo4 & Evo5 spools work. The evo5 spool works better though. You need a one way pulley.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:53 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Thanks buddy....
I'm sure just by doing that, you will shave 2+ seconds off your lap time and be in contention to win next time.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:04 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks buddy....
Why not get a few of the popular wheels and a small scale and weight them?

You might find that spoked wheels will be lighter than dish wheels. There probably isn't much weight difference in tires or inserts though.

Reducing unsprung and especially rotating weight is more important, so maybe you're onto something!
Old 01-13-2017, 05:54 AM
Tech Champion

I remember reading an old thread where a racer compared one set of spec tc tires with another set that were 5grams lighter per tire, and the difference was noticeable to him. So it's just something that needs to be considered at some point...
Sorex tires are 24grams each while the gravity tires I am using now are 32grams to 33grams.... That's 8 to 9 grams difference that can make a difference...
Also , the Sorex wheels can also be grinded down another three to four grams, furthering the gap...
Old 01-13-2017, 06:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I remember reading an old thread where a racer compared one set of spec tc tires with another set that were 5grams lighter per tire, and the difference was noticeable to him. So it's just something that needs to be considered at some point...
Sorex tires are 24grams each while the gravity tires I am using now are 32grams to 33grams.... That's 8 to 9 grams difference that can make a difference...
Also , the Sorex wheels can also be grinded down another three to four grams, furthering the gap...
Or you can just run the tire the rules say you're supposed to be using.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/14797510-post3040.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.