Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OS 12 CV vs OS 12 CV-R

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 05:55 AM
Tech Adept

Default OS 12 CV vs OS 12 CV-R

Hey, anybody care to enlighten me in the perfromance difference of these two engines?

I don't mean the on paper figures...i mean on the dirt/road...

Thanks in advance
Old 09-17-2004, 07:28 AM
Tech Adept

Aaron, can you please move this to the exclusive Nitro Engine Zone Forum.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2004, 08:03 AM
Tech Adept

I've ran them both quite a bit in gas truck. They're great engines. Equally easy to tune.

The CV is very underated for it's cost. It really does perform well. In gas truck the powerband of the engine is near perfect. It's very easy to drive consistantly with this engine. You can turn fast laps with it because it doesn't overpower the chassis nearly as easily as other engines. A lot of people will go slower with engines that have more power than this. If the surface is dusty and low bite, the CV is hard to beat. Being in control equals good lap times. The only negative to the CV is fuel economy. I have to pit at 5 minutes when running this engine. This can be a factor at big races with long mains.

The CVR is an awesome engine for gas truck as well. I can usually go 7-8 minutes on a tank with the CVR. It has a more powerfull midrange hit than the CV. This can be a good thing if there is good traction and tricky jumps with short runups. But, if the track is dusty and loose, the CVR will require more care to drive smoothly.

These two engines are an awesome value for gas truck because they are so much cheaper than the Italian engines, and they offer all the power you'll ever need.

If you are looking for a competitive engine for touring car they may be a bit underpowered. If you are relatively inexperienced with TC's the CVR is a good engine because you'll have less tuning issues to worry about, and you can concentrate on your line around the track. You'll definately be at a horsepower disadvantage if you're racing against experienced guys with Novarossi's, RB's, Mugen's, however.

Hope this helps
Old 09-17-2004, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

Bodido, thanks for the info, it was damn helpful.

I ask this because i have an OS 12 CV-X on the way that i scored for $65 US brand new...and was just curious...

At first its going in a 2wd buggy basher, but i am tooling with the idea of getting a XXX NT to race.

5 minutes on a tank dang thats really worrying, is that anything to do with having to run it rich to keep it cool enough? I've heard that the stock square head doesnt cool the engine enough and must run rich.

How big was your tank?? 75cc?
Old 09-17-2004, 12:07 PM
Tech Adept

Actually I could probably get 6 out of a tank, but I pit at 5 with it. Last time I ran the CV in a XXXNT was at a big track that had roughly 40 second laps, so taking an extra lap was a big gamble. That is with the tank set up ROAR legal (capped off fuel line inside tank to reduce volume to 75cc).

To be honest, I've never ran the CV with the stock head. I use the CVR head with it because I've heard the same as you (and had a spare laying around). I intend to start playing around with AE throttle restrictors to see if I can stretch it a little more.

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're just getting started in racing gas. The CV or CVX is just what you need. Pretty much all gas trucks are overpowered, and for club racing 5-6 minutes a tank isn't really a big disadvantage.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

Thats pretty shocking considering my .15 kyosho does about 10-12 minutes to the tank, and thats going WOT 75% of the time.