Wiki Posts
Search

suggestions for durable on road 4wd for bashing

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default suggestions for durable on road 4wd for bashing

i raced off road and 1/12 as a kid in the early 90s, left, came back as an adult a few years ago to run off road electrics and mini-z (fun!), left again, and i'm now back and want to get something to pal around on the street. no racing. there are no tracks anymore.

what is a durable and upgradeable all wheel drive on road basher? something that i can run many bodies, etc. i have a mamba max and 7700 motor left from my old xxx-t, and 3pm-fs pro fm synth, but truthfully would probably be better off leaving that setup alone in the mf2 and going all new. it doesn't even have to be a kit - a RTR is fine. i can't believe i'm saying that, but as long as it is upgradeable if i get the itch and of high quality, i don't need to build it at this stage. but i will if it means the car is durable.

-upgradeable
-200mm compatible
-lipo/brushless
-DSM

i looked around before making this thread and it seems most of the bashing talk is in off road.

thanks.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I bought a Tamiya TB-02, and it is quite durable, upgradable, and 200mm compatible, I had brushless in it and it was fine, it's 4wd too!... don't know what DSM means lol
I am actually trying to sell it as a roller, if you might be interested.
On-road just isn't for me... I "bashed" it... I don't have any tracks around here either...

but Tamiyafyer has always suggested a Tamiya TT-01 as a basher... He might be here eventually to give his input on this...
I was doing some research on what car to get for bashing, and I always saw him suggesting that... I would have gotten one, but I found a better deal on the TB-02
Old 04-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

Tamiya TA05!!! But I think the 06 will be out next month..... Anyway, put a gear diff in it as the stock ball diff need to rebuild quite offen. With the gear diff the TA05 is very durable.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Tech Regular

thanks all. tamiya, huh? i had a hornet at one point in the '80s - that was the last tamiya product i owned! i was always under the impression the upgrade/replacement parts were hard to come by and expensive as heck. but i'm sure the quality is top notch.

i'll look into it.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I had no issues finding upgrade parts for my TB-02, I just had no justification to buy them...
they aren't the cheapest things, but they aren't excessively expensive either.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Tamiya TT-01E, hands down the best selling on-road car. I know that sods weird, but sales don't lie, it's by far Tamiya's best selling on-road car. Te ftermarket companies are all over this thing too, tons of cheap parts and wild conversions. Tough as nails too, it's used in the 24 hour races all over the world!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:13 AM
Tech Adept

Great starter car but I did find a grip rolling issue on carpet and so do most racers that have used them on hi grip carpet. Wont be a problem bashing though.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXAEMM**&P=ML

RTR brushless, cool looking
Old 04-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
Tamiya TT-01E,
+1 (try & get the E model)
Its a bit crude by modern standards, but would have to be one of the best bashers. Its just so tough.Part are cheap. Fully enclosed gears so no worries about stones & grit.
You will need the upgrade bearing set & metal centreshaft. Dont waste money on any other upgrades for a TT01.

or a Tamiya TB03 for a more modern equivalent

**DO NOT get a TA05 for bashing. Belt drive, open gear cars need a reasonably clean track. TA05 are good cars though.

edit: oops, you wanted 200mm. TA01 etc are 190. Maybee with offset rims it would be OK ??
perhaps a Kyosho TF05, they have a 190 & 200mm version of that car.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

thanks all. 190 would be fine with the right wheels. i spoke with the hobby shop i used to use; he's 2.5 hours away upstate but always did me right in the past. he was not feeling tamiya at all, mainly criticizing the ability of the entry level bashers to handle a lot of power. strange, huh? i do want it to be able to go fast as heck, for entertainment purposes, so maybe he was concerned about ultimate durability. is that an issue when running brushless and lipo with these tamiya thangs?

i see one mention of the hpi sprint flux 2; it's an RTR, but it seems durable from what i've read and what the shop said.

i have to control myself from going overboard. i was looking at the latest xray chassis, lol. i can imagine race spec stuff is pretty sensitive to being run on your everyday street as opposed to a swept track.

i remember before i got out of this last time, and was going to try something on road, losi was coming out with a brand new touring car kit. now i can't find anything from them for on road.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Fairly durable for $115.00 : http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Sedan-Kit-ARR

I have a 5.5T setup in it right now and it's good up to a 3S LiPo pack. 2S is also pretty quick. I would watch the drivetrain if you plan on sustained 3S use. I have taken it to my local track and it runs well after some setup work. The 200mm HPI bodies fits pretty good on this car.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by builthatch
i see one mention of the hpi sprint flux 2; it's an RTR, but it seems durable from what i've read and what the shop said.

i have to control myself from going overboard. i was looking at the latest xray chassis, lol. i can imagine race spec stuff is pretty sensitive to being run on your everyday street as opposed to a swept track.
The belt drive on the sprint 2 is similar to the xray in the fact that they both don't like unpreped areas. I've seen mods for the sprint on here to help with the rocks in the belts. I run a TT-01 shaft drive and a cyclone tc belt drive, but we sweep the area before we fun so both chassis' run well. How about a TC4?
The OFNA looks like a good option too.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by macavant
Fairly durable for $115.00 : http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Sedan-Kit-ARR

I have a 5.5T setup in it right now and it's good up to a 3S LiPo pack. 2S is also pretty quick. I would watch the drivetrain if you plan on sustained 3S use. I have taken it to my local track and it runs well after some setup work. The 200mm HPI bodies fits pretty good on this car.
that seems like a nice setup. but i don't see upgrade parts...am i missing something? and i support might be tough if i break something.

Originally Posted by cwazyduck
The belt drive on the sprint 2 is similar to the xray in the fact that they both don't like unpreped areas. I've seen mods for the sprint on here to help with the rocks in the belts. I run a TT-01 shaft drive and a cyclone tc belt drive, but we sweep the area before we fun so both chassis' run well. How about a TC4?
The OFNA looks like a good option too.
that makes total sense. i am leaning toward shaft drive - i had a 1/18 that was shaft drive and brushless and it worked out well.

TT01R Type-E looks nice. i know it goes against the shop's recommendations but the support for those kits and the overall popularity of the tamiya stuff on here overrides that, imo.

Last edited by builthatch; 04-14-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I get my parts here: http://www.nitrohouse.com/Car-Hop-Up...382/index.html

So far - broken parts have been limited to (got into a fight with the curb):
- front right a-arm
- right front c-hub

due to prolonged 3S use:
- diff plate rings
- diff gear
- outdrive housing
- thrust bearing assembly
Old 04-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by macavant
I get my parts here: http://www.nitrohouse.com/Car-Hop-Up...382/index.html

So far - broken parts have been limited to (got into a fight with the curb):
- front right a-arm
- right front c-hub

due to prolonged 3S use:
- diff plate rings
- diff gear
- outdrive housing
- thrust bearing assembly
thanks for this. i did check out the listing, and the car, and while it does seem like a viable option i am still leaning toward the TT-01R Type-E.

speaking of that, i see there is a ball diff. does that ball diff work in both front and rear boxes like normal? so i can make it very tight up front and tune the back? the car seems to be equipped well from the factory in that trim, but i can see an alu motor mount, said ball diffs, and possibly the alu hexes being worthy upgrades. anything else i should consider that ISN'T included in the R Type-E kit?

i spoke to that LHS again about it and he said his regular TT-01 doesn't seem up to the challenge of moderate power and brushless; but that is a regular TT-01, not the kit i'm looking at.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.