Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
TT-01 Drift ? (may apply to other cars) >

TT-01 Drift ? (may apply to other cars)

TT-01 Drift ? (may apply to other cars)

Old 04-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default TT-01 Drift ? (may apply to other cars)

Good day y'all,

I was just playing around with my TT01 setup with tamiya Drift tires (hard plastic) and I find that the rear kicks out really easily. With this i also noticed that when it does so it seems like one of the front wheels stops spinning when other is still going. In other words I have no control. even when trying to go in a straight line going easy on the throttle it spins out.

I will be taking it apart anyway as I hear some strange sounds coming from within. Maybe I will find the reason once I do but my question is as follows

I know its possible to lock both front and rear diffs but is it a good idea?
Old 04-11-2011, 04:05 AM
Tech Regular

If you have not already locked your rear diff then do so if you intend to drift with this chassis. You can use the hot glue method by cleaning out the grease and then assembling it again but pour hot glue in before closing it. For the front you need to either lock it or make it like an LSD by putting O rings on the spline where all three diff gears mount to. This pushes the gears closer to the main gears and makes for a very tight fit. There is still diff action after this but it will stop you from spinning out.

Let us know how it works for you!
Old 04-11-2011, 05:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i drive a Kawada Sv-10 alctyon from 1998, and i only use a ball diff front and rear with my rear diff tighter, seems able to control the drift quite well. i guess you may be using gear diffs?
look at my video and see the control that is possible with ball diffs.
http://youtu.be/oW5XmCE8jTc
Old 04-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info.

The rear was not an issue even tho it was gears but I shimmed it to tighten it up. Gonna do the same up front. I have always managed to get similar to Ball diff performance by shimming to get them nice and tight or tighter depending on what I need.

Problem is I will be using it for other types of racing as well so don't want to lock anything up.

THe issue with using ball diffs in the TT01 is that you must change the complete drive system if you want to use them. The current diff config is not available is ball type. am I wrong?
Old 04-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok I found some ball diffs for it!
Old 04-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mr lee
For the front you need to either lock it or make it like an LSD by putting O rings on the spline where all three diff gears mount to. This pushes the gears closer to the main gears and makes for a very tight fit. There is still diff action after this but it will stop you from spinning out.

Let us know how it works for you!
I tightened up the the diffs but the front is still more loose than the rear.

Gonna try this o-ring method now. Just worried that the o-rings will either melt of disintegrate....
Old 04-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Active STR077

http://rcmarket.com.hk/advanced_sear...eywords=str077
Attached Thumbnails TT-01 Drift ? (may apply to other cars)-ac-str077.jpg  
Old 04-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok so looking into inserting o-rings I found out that they would not fit. So I inserted a 0.5mm spacer and that pretty much tightened it up to the point of almost being locked.

Seems to work well for the exception of lower speed drift/cornering. since the front is now locked it tends to oversteer. It would be a great car for high speed Drifts.

Gonna try to insert slightly thinner spacers to see.
but for those that want to try the .5mm, thats the thickest you will be able to put in.

This is the tt01 in the picture
Attached Thumbnails TT-01 Drift ? (may apply to other cars)-0425111143-00.jpg  

Last edited by MacPhreak; 04-25-2011 at 04:40 PM.